“I do not recommend”
Review of Hotel Westgate

Hotel Westgate
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salamanca
Hotel Westgate
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Salamanca
Tennessee
“I do not recommend”
Reviewed 9 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our infant son and our toddler son for one week while visiting family. We paid full price as we reserved our room over the telephone (prices are not listed online). We asked for and were given a large room (a 2-room suite). However, we were not informed that the room was a handicap room and had no bathtub, a pertinent detail for a family with 2 small children. Immediately after checking in, we had to request new bedding, because the linen on the beds was visible soiled. We had to replace all of the bedding ourselves. Despite this, my largest concern about this hotel is their professionalism and integrity. The hotel provides a modest continental breakfast of doughnuts, muffins, and bottled juice. Day after day (for four days in a row) I watched as the employee placed the same sad uneaten doughnuts and muffins from the day prior back into the case. In our one-week stay, the baked goods were fresh on two occasions. The hotel staff was sparse, and I noticed that their friends often stopped by to distract them. At the time of check-out, we had to search the hotel to find the one employee on duty to check us out. Needless to say, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I cared about.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Asheley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Before attending a local fair, we searched every name brand hotel in the area, and they were either booked or out of our budget. The WestGate was available, and cheap! We decided we would take a chance and try them out, event though a few reviewers complained about the hotel staff.

When we checked in, there was no one to be found. A few minutes later, someone showed up to the front desk. We checked into the cheapest room, which was $84.99/night. The room was immaculate, modern, well appointed and would cost $150.00/night easily anywhere else.

My only complaint about the room was the pillows. They suck! Other than that, great room.

When we checked out thou, we couldn't find anyone at the front desk. We waited 5-10 minutes then left our room keys with a note on the desk. There really should be someone at the front desk at all times.

Other than that, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank P1ckyTraveller
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I have travelled all over the world and have stayed in rooms from 5-star hotels to grubby hostels in makeshift quarters. In my 25 years of travelling I have NEVER had anything stolen from my room (granted, in the more questionable locations, I was more careful.) But I arrived here with my spouse and friends. We both had nice rooms, however the safes (in both rooms) were not working. I placed my cash purse with $300 CAD in the desk or on the desk and it went missing. I have looked through ALL my belongings and it simply vanished. Unfortunately, I did not notice it was missing until I arrived home and unpacked, otherwise, I would have gone to the police. The upsetting thing about this hotel is that when you read "boutique" in the description, you hope for 'boutique'-type service. I immediately addressed my stolen money with the management on the phone the next day and unfortunately, I felt that Renee was not helpful, nor sympathetic. After looking into the matter, she just apologized and that was it.

What was I expecting? I was expecting to have great customer service, empathetic understanding and the benefit of the doubt. I was disappointed. When you attend this hotel, please lock up your belongings. Get a safe that works.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cinja500
Phoenix,AZ
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stayed here 2 nights for the first time. We were attending a family reunion and a high school reunion. The hotel bills itself as a boutique hotel, but I don't think they know what a boutique hotel is. It is a nice hotel just not boutique. It is located next to the Seneca Bingo hall,but never heard any noise. The casino is close by. Check in was easy. No luggage carts, which would have been a nice touch.
The regular room had 2 queen beds, a nice flat screen TV, a mini frig,microwave, Keurig single cup coffee machine with coffee and a sink. The bathroom was small but nice. The bedroom was lacking a decent bedside reading light. The complimentary wireless internet worked perfect.
There is a small clothes hanging area near door as well has a dresser.
The kitchenette tile and bathroom tile were very nice and new looking.
The telephone message light remained on the whole time despite telling the front desk-said they were having issues with it. The in room safe(by the bed) was locked from a previous guest.
The continental breakfast off the lobby was small but nice. Muffins,pastries, coffee and bottled juice.
The housekeeping staff were very friendly. Front desk ok.
The room drapery was not blackout,so if you are a light sleeper,this would not be good. There is also a strange door near mini frig area. This door does not open from the inside,not sure about the outside? It has a window in it that is not covered.
I heard that the building was originally slated to be office condos?
We were in room 105 on the first floor.(faced the rear of property)

• Stayed July 2010
State College, PA
Reviewed 22 March 2010

My fiance and I decided to go to Salamanca this past weekend and stay overnight with a few friends. One of the girls in our group decided to bail early and went back to the room to go to sleep. We left the casino about 30 minutes later and decided to call it a night.

We got to our room and our room key wasn't working. We tried knocking on the door but nobody answered. We called the room phone and her cell phone and there was no answer. I spoke with the man at the front desk and he created me another room key. We tried it, but it still didn't work. The man at the front desk came up and tried his master key and said the door was dead bolted from the inside. He tried another master key that should have unlocked the deadbolt but it did not work. At this point we were a little worried about the well being of our friend in the room. The man at the front desk told me he didn't have any idea what to do, so we asked that he call his boss. He called, and was basically told to by his boss to handle it himself. We asked him to call back and see if we could speak to her, he called her and she told him that she didn't want to talk to us. We asked him to find a solution or we were going to need to call the cops to get into the room. They didn't have a solution, so we called the police. The police arrived about 20 minutes later and got on the phone with the man's boss and she said she had this happen before with a young boy dead bolting himself into a room and they couldn't get him out. During this time, my friend went around the backside of the building and saw the light still on in the room. At this point, we were very worried about our friend inside, and there was still no sign of any management on the premises. Finally, 2 hours after arriving at our room, the police made a phone call to the Fire Department and they brought a key to unlock the room.

Our friend was inside and, unbeknown to us, is a very heavy sleeper. She was fine, so we were relieved, but it was EXTREMELY alarming that the hotel had no ability to get into a dead bolted room, and that the management basically brushed our issue off. If our friend had been hurt in the room and we needed to get in, we had absolutely no options and no plan in place to handle the situation. I'm not sure how a hotel can legally operate in this manner, and I was appalled at the lack of worry from the manager.

I'm generally not hard to please, but I do not recommend this hotel, merely because of the safety hazards that our situation presented and how it was handled, but if you need other reasons, they do not accept cash (overheard this from another customer) and they have a fairly late check-in time (3:00).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank tgfisher

Travellers are raving about these Salamanca hotels

pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 February 2010

me and my husband stayed at the westgate just last night. on a whim we decided to drive two hours to go to the seneca allegany casino. we had no reservations anywhere. we decided to try the westgate because of affordability. luckily they had one room left available. a room with two queen size beds. it was more than we needed but the price was fair,only $84.00. we took it.the staff we encountered were very friendly and andswered any of our questions. the room was very nice and spacious.a little kitchen area with microwave, cofee pot, sink and mini frig, a safe to lock up our valuable and very clean. the bed was very comfortable, however the pillows were very uncomfortable besides the pillows, the only complaint we had was that check-in wasn't until 3pm which was kinda late.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2009

My S/O and I had reservations for the Seneca Allegheny 7/4/09. We decided to leave on 7/3/09 in the hope someone would cancel their reservation enabling us to have 2 nights at the casino hotel. As expected no cancellations which meant finding a place to stay for the night. We passed the Hotel Westgate on the way to dinner. The property appeared to be well kept, as it is a new hotel. In addition to the appearance the large sign advertising rooms for $89.99 also caught my eye. There weren't many cars in the parking lot so we decided to see if they had rooms and at $89.99 how could we go wrong. Well surprise, surprise when we went to check in they had plenty of rooms available at a completely inflated rate of $179 for one night. It was late and after traveling and sightseeing most of the day we were really tired and not up for a hotel search. I questioned the difference in rates and the desk clerk informed me the $89.99 rate was only in effect during the week and after all it is a holiday weekend. I then asked why the sign was out front and of course there was no explanation. I also asked about a continental breakfast and he assurred me there was one from 7a-10a. We then went to our room on the second floor. It was clean. The sheets were fresh and white but the bed was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on. S/O echoed my thoughts. The space between the wall and the bed on either side was minimal at best making it a bit difficult to get from the bed to the BR until you had yourself oriented to the surroundings. The curtains did not keep out the lights or sun in the am due to huge gaps on each end and the middle. There is a sink, fridge, and 2 serving coffee maker in the corner of the room. The HDTV was fine but truthfully most hotels now have these available so not really out of the ordinary.
The best feature of the room was a front and center view for the fireworks. They were great. Whoever planned them should be commended.
Getting back to our stay, next am S/O went downstairs for a muffin and coffee. All he was able to locate was the coffee pot. No clerk or attendent available. Same thing happened at check out no one in sight.
We travel often so figured we may pay a higher price for a hotel room based on lack of reservation and a holiday weekend so our complaint isn't related to the cost. The biggest disappointment was the false advertising. The sign should have been taken down. We probably would've ended up here anyway but at least not under false pretenses. The other issue I have yet to mention, the clerk told us they do not accept AAA or AARP discount.. I asked why and was told the hotel is privately owned not a chain and the owners have the right to choose whether or not they will honor a discount.
In conclusion the rooms are at best average. A few things do require tweaking, the curtains, and of course new mattresses.
Would I recommend this accomodation to others? Sorry, no can do. The misleading advertising and not accepting AAA or AARP are my deciding factors.
My suggestion anyone considering this hotel check out the website www.thehotelwestgate.com you will see that although they advertise certain amenities you must reserve that particular room to experience them. Rates are not listed on the website either. It is described by the owners as a "boutique" hotel, I've been to so called boutique hotels, my impression and definition is very different from theirs.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salamanca
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Best Western Plus University Inn
Inn at Holiday Valley
Inn at Holiday Valley
#2 of 5 in Ellicottville

Been to Hotel Westgate? Share your experiences!