“Beautiful park with something for everyone”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salamanca
Allegany State Park Campground
Cary, North Carolina
“Beautiful park with something for everyone”
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

My husband came here frequently as a child to go camping. Lots of cabins and some by a creek. Outhouses by the cabins. Came here for the day. Nice museum at the inn with lots of mounted animals. General store there too. Loved the lakes. One is small with a dam and one is large with boating. Loved hiking there. Must see the Bear Caves and Thunder Rocks. Very peaceful place. Lots of natural beauty all around. Benches by the water too. $7 parking fee but no charge off season.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank CindySGoulding

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed in Cain Hollow area, loop B, site 76. Large wooded site with electric. Easy to back in with our 27' trailer. Level site, just backed in and set up.
We did 2 different hikes, and went to thunder rocks and had an outdoor "tail gate" picnic!
We love camping at Allegany.
We also drove through the Redhouse Camping area, I did not care for it, very close together, no privacy at all. Stick to Cain Hollow if you want "real" camping!

• Stayed May 2013
12 Thank party-of-5-ny
Iceland
Reviewed 11 September 2012

ASP was the first place we stayed on our long-term camping trip throughout various parks in NY. And, considering it was a holiday weekend, I was expecting it to be busy so I made reservations well in advance.

First, we rolled into the place and checked in at the Quaker House area. We went to our site and we sat outside of the car for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do. The two sites adjacent to us were COMPLETELY overtaken by more than a single family. Our fire pit was somehow located behind their area and their tents were basically pushed to the outside of their area right next to where we would put our tents. The multiple tents, vehicles and five hundred chairs set-up let us know this was going to be a big, noisy group full of children. (Oh, right, and their two dogs that began barking non-stop as soon as we pulled up.) There was no privacy or expectation of a quieter evening.

Thankfully there were still three sites available that we were able to drive around and look at. (And also, the guy in the park office was exceedingly nice about it.) Just a general statement: some sites looked very nice and private, whereas others were completely out in the open. Additionally, some sites are much larger than others. You really have no way of knowing until you get there. We settled on a site that was MUCH quieter, albeit it small, and had a nice night. Adjacent to us was another couple with a dog that did not bark a single time we were there. (I will say Letchworth gets some points here in that they separate loops so that dog owners and those who do not own dogs do not stay on the same loops. I love dogs but I don't want to hear YOURS barking all night.) But there were SO many people with dogs and we constantly heard barking from most of them.

Unfortunately, the second night really demonstrates why I would not return to this park. The people across from me had visitors (or additional campers, who knows) show-up the second night they were there as well. For hours upon hours, these people drank. When I was first falling asleep, they were still quiet about it. Then, at some point in the middle of the night, after 2 AM, we began to hear these morons non-stop. There was yelling. There was screaming. There was fighting. There were threats. There were people throwing things. There were people zooming out of the site that were nice enough to BLARE their horn on the way out, probably driving drunk. This went on for some time. Where was the patrol? On such a busy, holiday weekend, when I saw people patrolling earlier in the day repeatedly, why wasn't anyone out there at night?

The bathrooms were okay. Better than Letchworth but not as nice as Watkins Glen. There are two showers and two stalls but numerous bathrooms scattered throughout. I would bring an extra roll of toilet paper, especially on the weekends or holidays because both nights I was there the stalls would run out of it. There are numerous trails, which were okay, and the lake is quite pretty but what you can and cannot do is not always clear. There is a general store outside of the site (pricey) but other than that you're quite a drive away from most things. Try to bring what you need in advance!

Room Tip: If you hate your site, definitely go back up to the park office and ask what is still available.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank einzweidrei
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 10 September 2012

ASP is a beautiful park - it will meet your greatest expectations. If you stay at Red House campground - lower your expectations. It is noisy and crowded unlike the open spaces in the natural areas of the park. A number of campers are there to party day and night. Expect people to be yelling profanities and other drunken nonsense into the early morning hours. In spite of the park police, there are no patrols and if you complain, nothing will be done. The staff really couldn't care less.

The bathrooms are filthy and that is being generous. The number of barking and vicious dogs rivals a city neighborhood. The cost of wood is unbelievable ($7 per tiny bundle), and that is why most people smuggle or drag entire trailers of scrap wood into their campsites.

I do love the park and always return, but I don't waste time in the Red House campground with expectations of tranquility. And hey, there's always the casino and its delicious buffet.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LisaOutdoors
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I have been going to Allegany State park for most of my life. It has been the highlight of every summer for many summers. Sometimes we'd go somewhere else for vacation and always we'd bemoan that we should have gone to ASP instead. We've given up on pricier vacations because the kids said this is MORE FUN THAN Disney or cruises or anything else we tried. It is amazing, but it just doesn't cost that much to rent a cabin there. You can opt for electricity free, super green cabins which are incredibly cheap or you can get an electric cabin for about double that (still a bargain). No running water. You walk to a flush or pit toilet that is shared with about 4 or 5 cabins and you get your water out of a spigot outside. It's roughing it easy-style, but still roughing it. You bring your own cook stuff and your own bedding. There are some new pricey full service cabins that are like hotel rooms, running water, flush indoor toilets etc for the super tenderfoot.

Google Allegany State Park cabin images to get a look at what they look like.

Bring a hand saw to cut some of your own wood from downed logs or simply buy a half or quarter cord of wood there. Nice fireplace pit outside and places to sit. You generally get a table with 2 benches that can go outside or inside and a park style bench that usually sits out by the firepit.

Bring your guitar, uke or any other unplugged instrument because campers like to sing. You can have your own family sing, join someone else's--just walk around, your neighbor is campfire singing talented or go to the Hootenanny that the park holds weekly for a big sing in.

Usually there are outdoor movies under the stars and if you don't like what's playing, Jamestown has a NEWish drive in theater with first run movies. They have a couple of screens. There is another drive in movie theater in Kane, PA. We've done them all and usually planned a few movies under the stars because nighttime in SW NY state is awesome. Gazillion stars...which reminds me in some years they have professional star gazers come and share their equipment and expertise on the starriest nights I've ever seen. All FREE for whomever shows up to see it and organized by the park.

You will be amazed at all the wildlife experts that work or volunteer at the park. Even in years where funding might have been better, this park attracts some of the country's best naturalists who give talks, walks and other special tutorials that will amaze you. It is different every year, but never ceases to amaze. There are so many things to do there that they put out a broadside with the week's offerings every week. All of these are free and come with your entrance into the park.

Two towns are nearby for groceries and other attractions. Salamanca, NY has a casino and several places near there hold rodeos in the summer and each year the Seneca nation hold an annual powwow that is the best we've ever seen. If you go south, you can go to Bradford, PA. The park sells a few groceries, but for the steaks you want to cook out, you might want to go into town.

Two things you will not find there...one is good cell phone reception. The other is no internet. If you go to the Dunkin Donuts in Salamanca, they have free internet there if you have to communicate with civilization, but other than that, you are captive with your family doing fun activities that will make for many happy memories.

You will never forget a vacation like one at Allegany State Park.

Room Tip: We liked the Quaker cabin area the best when the kids were younger, but when they were older, the Re...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
17 Thank D O
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

As an avid camper, I always look forward to my fall cabin getaway at ASP. A few steps up from a tent but certainly rustic, the cabins are a nice place to sit back and unwind. We prefer Quaker area but everyone has their own favorites. We have only ever stayed in the basic cabins with no electricity. You'll find a stove with a cooktop, a hutch to put supplies, a woodstove, some cots, a table with benches, and a bench or two outside. You can order wood when you arrive and they will come with a truck to deliver it. I think it's about $25 but well worth it. My husband had never heard of the park so taking him and introducing him to it's beauty was a treat for both of us. We usually go for my birthday which falls right in line for peak fall colors. Walking trails and taking in the beautiful fall colors and vistas of the park are just what we look forward to after the lazy hazy beach days in the summer. My family has been going to ASP for what seems like forever. My mom tells me stories of "dances" that they would hold at the lodge but I guess that was a different era all together. The lodge is a glorious Swedish-style tudor building that houses a restaurant, gift shop, museum, tourist information, and a beautiful sitting area that usually has a band playing in the afternoons. The views across the lake are stunning from here and at night the grounds fill with the "light bulb eyes" of protected deer. Be sure to take a spotlight at dusk and you'll see what I mean. You can't go wrong with this park, especially in the fall. Check out Thunder Rocks, it's pretty cool. ASP is a truly great place for stepping back in time and I know we will continue the tradition for years to come....See you on Friday Allegany!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank beachlovergirl77
Toronto
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My husband and I are from Toronto and wanted to go "border shopping" in NY (which we do a couple times a year) and we decided to turn it into a little camping adventure as well. Hey, if you stay over the border 48 hrs, you get $400 each allowance in duty! I looked at a whole bunch of State Parks in upstate New York online (mainly finger lakes region) and I picked ASP because the reviews of it online were unanimous - people love ASP! Now I'm one of them.

I've never been camping at a campground before - just at friend's cottages, etc. I really didn't want some place where you were camping pretty much on top of strangers and didn't have any privacy. I was pleased with ASP.

The park was a 1.5hr drive south of Buffalo, so it was very reasonable as a little side-trip from our "border shopping". The drive was very pretty through the Allegany region - and we went when all the trees were green! I imagine it's stunning when the fall colours come in.

They have 2 main park areas, Quaker and Red House, each with its own lake. Quaker Lake is 2x the size of Red House Lake. Because we wanted space and privacy, we chose Quaker (Red House has more amenities, but is busier). I used the online booking system through the NY State Park website, and I selected a campsite in "Cain Hollow" 3 days in advance of our trip - which was during the weekdays in August. We were not disappointed. The Quaker campsites are significantly more spacious than the Red House sites. The entire Cain Hollow area is a series of looping roads that run around a wooded hill - so many of the sites are tucked into their own little clearing in the woods and are very private. If you are looking to select one of these sites, I recommend checking it out on Google Satellite view because you can see the camping area and get an idea of which sites are wooded vs. out in the open. Just compare what you're seeing on the satellite view against the layout of the campsites on the NY State Park booking site and you can pick a specific site that way.

I had heard from reviews that the washroom and shower facilities at Quaker were "rustic", so I was expecting something in worse repair. However, I found that the washrooms nearest our campsite (at least the women's!) were completely satisfactory. 3 bathroom stalls and 2 shower stalls - kept clean and totally functional. My husband did say that the men's bathroom toilets got clogged and it took them 24hrs to fix them though. I took a shower in the afternoon one day and the water was cold - I guess the hot water had just run out. Showers in the morning were warm - but still not totally hot.

The lakes are beautiful, and there is TONS to keep you occupied at this place. Bring your bikes and rollerblades because there are paved paths for use. Also bring your running shoes because there are jogging & hiking trails, basketball courts. We rented a paddle boat for an hour and paddled around Red House lake one afternoon - it was lovely. There are more activities at the Red House area than at the Quaker area, but you can use the Red House activities even if you're staying at the other campsite. Red House lake is the only one with boat rentals & a mini putt course. Both areas have a general store that is open quite late that has all essentials and staff to help you if you need to talk to someone. During the day, both general stores also scoop ice cream and it was delicious! There is swimming in both lakes, and the water is a great temperature for mid-summer cool offs!

We took one of the hiking trails up around Red House lake one afternoon and climbed up a Forest Fire Lookout - it was pretty cool! There was a Park Ranger at the top that taught us about the history of the park and fire watch methods through the last 100 years.

If you like wildlife, this would be a lovely park for you. During our drives through the park and hikes we saw many white-tailed deer and chipmunks. There is a large bird-watching meadow around Quaker lake - if we were there for a longer period of time, I would have parked a chair in the meadow and sat and watched them in the quiet. It seems that fishing is very popular in the creek that runs off of Quaker lake - but not so busy that you would not be able to find your own little bend of the creek to yourself. They were fishing for trout when we were there. We did not see any bears, but we did our best to thoroughly follow the bear precautions.

I think that's all that I can say for that - just wanted to let the world know that ASP is a great camping experience!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
40 Thank Swartzan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salamanca
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Edelweiss Lodge
Edelweiss Lodge
#6 of 8 in Ellicottville
Myers Steakhouse & Inn
Myers Steakhouse & Inn
#2 of 2 in Salamanca

Been to Allegany State Park Campground? Share your experiences!