“Nothing is lacking”

The Point
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Saranac Lake
“Nothing is lacking”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

A hard review to write because there is so much to comment on. Go when you have time to retreat from the world several days, go for as long as you can, and go without trying to schedule your days. All is taken care of.
If it bothers you when a top hotel wants you to pay $8 for a bottle of water, go to the POint, because everything is included - the bars are open, you never have to agonize over whether to have that extra glass of water or sip of champagne. The staff, too, is plentiful and always happy to help. If you mention it might be nice to have lunch in the middle of the lake, they get it ready, and boat, lunch, red wine and chilled white, boatsman, and all are ready for you. No need to pay a fee, wait for enough people to sign up, or anything like that.
A word about the food. Dinners are four or five courses, and on Wednesdays and Saturdays, seven courses, all with good wines selected for each course. You can eat at a table with the host and other guests, or in your room, or in the kitchen, or wherever else you choose. The food is varied and imaginative, and well executed by a large kitchen staff. Not every dish was perfect, but I can hardly think of a single great meal where every single think has come off perfectly; also, I get the impression that the menu is always changing, so that you get to experience innovations as they occur. So while I could mention one or two things that perhaps I would have preferred to have been done differently, those are nits that don't need picking here. The seven course meal was puled off perfectly, and that is certainly a rarity. The menus were also well conceived and progressed very nicely.
Of particular note were the wines. I tend not to order wine pairings in restaurants because the choices are often lackluster, and quality is sacrificed for "fit". At the Point, the manager happens to also be an oenologist, and the wine choices were exciting. They were not simply quality wines well chosen: rather, they were interesting both in themselves and in the context of the menu.
I won't take time to go into details about the good sized rooms, the nice linens, the fire set in the bedrooms, and other things like that.
Bottom line is that it was a real pleasure to make a single payment (large, but no larger than you end up spending on vacation anyway), and to have everything presented to you, stress-free. We will be checking our calendars to see when we can get back.

Room Tip: I don't know what their minimum stay is, but try to stay several days so you can get into it, an...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GilBagnell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at The Point for a long weekend back in August of 1989. I had heard about various great camps from friends and family members who had experienced them back in their heyday as guests of original owners and The Point lived up to every expectation I had.

The room we stayed in was divine. The large four poster bed, settled with the finest of linens, faced a beautiful fireplace which was lit for us late in the afternoon each day of our stay. The food was spectacular and the service beyond first rate.

We enjoyed the various water activities offered and went on a hike or two as well.

I appreciated the quiet nature of the staff and how private everything seemed, as if we were the only ones there.

I will never forget my stay at The Point and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to take a step back in time and experience first hand what it is to live like American royalty. While it is, obviously, a very expensive endeavor, if you can swing it it is well worth it!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jeanne w
Washington, DC
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Co-sign what each of the other five-star reviewers have said. There are no words to describe The Point.

I was so very lucky to be treated to a weekend at The Point as a birthday surprise. Our trip happened to coincide with Superstorm Sandy; as a result, there were several guests from the NYC area who were unable to make it for the weekend. On Friday evening we enjoyed a small, formal dinner with two other couples (one of the best things about R&C properties is the very cool acquaintances that you make) and on Saturday night we had the entire place to ourselves. Lest you think that the staff scaled back due to the cancellations...they presented the entire Saturday afternoon BBQ to us, which we enjoyed with the GM of the property (only after we insisted he join us), and consisted of enough food to feed 20 people. For Saturday evening, we were simply told that "we were the Rockefellers for the night." We were treated to the most amazing NINE course dinner, a deux, in front of a roaring fireplace. It was the best meal I have ever had in my life - better than Per Se/French Laundry/Jean George/Inn at Little Washington. I gained five pounds in three days, and let me tell you, it was worth every bite.

All of my trips since then - it doesn't matter where it is - inevitably brings out the phrase "well at The Point...." I so wanted to have my wedding here, but unfortunately lost the battle of a small guest list with my future in-laws.

To borrow from Ferris Bueller:
"If you have the means, I highly recommend you stay at The Point."

Room Tip: We stayed in Morningside - large, sunny, peaceful. There isn't a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bellagamba22
PARIS
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I've been to the point with my husband on December 2013. Absolutely one of the most beautiful experience ever!
Landscapes are fantastic, rooms are beautifully decorated and absolutely charming, staff is one of the most attentive and kind I've ever experienced, food is beyond excellent... You can order a pizza at 3AM and find yourself eating one of the best pie ever ( and I'm Italian...).
I was pretty reticent at the idea of eating all together with unknown guests, but for some reason, it had always worked perfectly... Great atmosphere, truly!
And if you want a romantic "tete a tete" with your sweetheart, the staff would be more than delighted to set up a special table for you wherever you desire ( included in the middle of the property...!) Highly recommend!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VALVENOSTA
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a Stave puzzle weekend at The Point. If you don't mind paying up front (and you do) but then don't want to have to worry about another thing your entire stay, this is the kind of place for you. We truly felt like friends of the family invited to stay for the weekend and every member of the family was happy we were there. We stayed in the Weatherwatch room and it was gorgeous. Just remember that this resort is in the old Adirondack camp style. If you are expecting The Ritz you will be disappointed; if you are looking for rustic elegance you will love it.

Although you are not given menus to choose from for meals, they are posted in the kitchen and you can discuss your preferences directly with the chef. They did a great job of adapting the meals to meat my seafood allergies. The Saturday lunch BBQ had a great selection and the staff did an amazing job since all of the guests chose to eat outside in 18 degree weather. My husband worked with the staff to arrange a special lunch on Friday at Camp David complete with champagne, fresh fruit, hot chocolate and scones. It was a wonderful surprise after our snowshoe trek to get there.

There were so many examples of the staff anticipating your needs and wants that it would be impossible to list them all. They have snowshoes, cross country skis, skates, hiking boots; there really is no excuse not to try something new. The Stave puzzles added a fun touch and the rep's from Stave did a great job of involving everyone to whatever degree they wanted to participate in the puzzling activities.

Saturday night is the seven course black tie dinner which was surprisingly unpretentious. It was nice to get dressed up after having spent the day in ski pants and although most of the men were wearing tuxedos my husband was wearing a nice suit and didn't feel at all out of place. You should make sure to pace yourself through that meal as each course is a work of art and the wines were paired beautifully.

Overall it was a truly fun and relaxing experience and well worth the 6 1/2 hour drive from our home.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bgdann
Roseland, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have wanted to stay at The Point for years, and this year we finally did it. It exceeded our high expectations! The place is nothing less than spectacular in every way from the moment you arrive until you leave. Great staff. Wonderful location and ambiance. Great food matched with excellent wines. We loved our room with its fireplace. Every meal was excellent, and they cater to your whims. Chef Levy and the kitchen crew were friendly and accomodating. They say if you want something at any time of day or night, just say the word. You do get seated with guests from the other rooms, and that too was a very positive experience. We were there for three nights, and the guest schedules vary, so people cycled in and out. Everyone was in a great frame of mind, being there, and the interactions were all pleasant. The Pub was a lot of fun with impromptu games of darts and pool by the juke box. Wherever you go at The Point, you will never be far from an open well-stocked bar! The wines served wtih meals were excellent. When you turn in at night, you will find a decanter of port in the room. They truly think of everything. We were there for New Years Eve, complete with black tie and fireworks. An unforgettable evening. On another afternoon, they organized a trip to the local ice rink where we learned how to curl and had a friendly match. One of those things you think you might never do, and there we were having a ball. Complete of course wtih hot chocolate and cookies. So if you're looking for a place to go in the grand camp style, full of romance, great food and service, and don't mind interacting with some new people who are there for the same reason, The Point is a place not to be missed. We will certainly return!

Room Tip: There are four rooms in the main lodge; three over the Pub; three in another out-building, and one o...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Conseiller99
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2012

In one word: Perfection.

My (now!) fiance surprised me by proposing to me at The Point. We first discovered The Point in a book about Adirondack Great Camps from the 1920s & 30s, as the property was originally owned and built by William A. Rockefeller. There was a gorgeous photo of the Boathouse featured in the book which caught our eye. When we found out that "Camp Wonundra" had been turned into a "resort" called The Point, we checked it out online, including reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews. The stories in the reviews about The Point's commitment to amazing service gave us goosebumps and we knew we'd have to travel to The Point someday.

My fiance cooked up a surprise stay during our summer trip to the Adirondacks this year. The Point's management staff did an amazing job with helping him pull off the most romantic engagement ever -- complete with a sunset Hackercraft ride to a private campsite across Saranac Lake where a path of votive candles led the way to a roaring campfire, champagne, and a cozy lean-to. He proposed, I said yes, and we spent some quiet time at the campsite celebrating. Later that evening, we returned to The Point for the Saturday night black-tie dinner and were greeted by eight of the most gracious people I've ever met standing up and toasting to our engagement when we walked in the Great Hall. Our fellow diners went from being total strangers to wonderful characters in our memories of our special night.

We spent three wonderful days at the Boathouse (as amazing in real life as it is in pictures) and being treated like royalty. While The Point is not inexpensive, it is worth every penny. I have since told people that if they only take one vacation in their entire life to make sure they go to The Point. Your every need is met. They arranged fishing licenses and a fishing trip for us one day. The next day they surprised us with fresh lemon whipped cream on our dessert when we mentioned we loved subtle lemon in our desserts. Your favorite wines are selected for each meal. There is no room service "menu" - they simply bring you whatever you want. The attention to detail is astounding. The Point staff entertained us, cared for us, and made a special time even more special.

On every postcard I sent to family and friends, I wrote "Greetings from Heaven - also known as The Point!" The Point is peaceful and wonderful, from an era and time long past. It is simply magical.

Room Tip: On our last day, we toured the property and saw all but three rooms. The Boathouse is the most amazi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Saranac Lake
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Placid
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Been to The Point? Share your experiences!