When I booked The Point for my birthday celebration, my husband was dubious. No cellphones, no TV, no wifi, stuck in the middle of nowhere, forced to eat dinner with a bunch of strangers. Uncomfortably like an English boarding school. Have to admit I was a little worried too - what if the other guests were all obnoxious investment bankers who could only talk about money? Well thankfully our worst fears were firmly pushed to one side.
The basics - beautiful setting, stunning scenery, rooms all individual and nicely "rustic" and "quirky" without also being "uncomfortable" which sadly seems to be the case more often than not ("design" hotels in London and NYC take note). Lots to do in a laid back kind of way - pottering about on the lake or hiking into the woods. Tennis, pool, waterskiing if you can face squeezing yourself into a wetsuit. We talked big about this at dinner but strangely by morning nobody was keen...
But what really makes this property work is the people - all the staff are amazing and you feel they would do anything for you. No request too large or too weird, whether it is lunch for two out on the lake or truffled popcorn at 3am (again, I'd like to apologise to you all for the singing). And maybe we were particularly lucky, but our fellow guests were wonderful too. We had such a fun time - talking and laughing and playing pool and setting fire to marshmallows (aka making s'mores). Most people visit for a celebration - birthdays, anniversaries - so there is a party atmosphere pretty much all the time. But a Downton Abbey sort of party, not a Jersey Shore sort of party.
Apparently The Point has 60% repeat visitors - and the only surprise is it's not higher. We are missing you all already and hope to be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Point is a world apart. A Private, adult only, Adirondack estate on the edge of a shining mountain lake. A Great Camp of the Great North Woods, built by William Avery Rockefeller a century ago as his family’s private home. Today The Point is a resort like no other, a magnificent log retreat full of priceless art and fine antiques, where guests gather as the high society of the Gilded Ages once did at vibrant house parties deep in the forest. As a guest of The Point, the secluded, 75-acre property is yours, the days unfold at your leisure, and the staff anticipates your every need. Each meal is an event, each day an adventure, each night a celebration. It is simple, splendid, authentic. It is a perfect place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your The Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Point Hotel Saranac Lake
- Point Saranac Lake
- Point Hotel Saranac Lake
- The Point Saranac Lake, New York