That used to be a worthy claim for a visitor to the Saranac Lake area of New York State.
The physical plant was magnificent. The restaurant was a dream. The power boating was first class. Even just a walk out to the well stocked bar in the lean-to at the tip of the Point itself was a delight. One price pays for all so there is no bother with the usual accounting of an upscale property. Dining is at the main dining hall with other adult guests rotating around the tables. Pets OK but no kids allowed.
It used to be such a perfect property but a few years ago a violent windstorm tore through the property, crossed the lake and then returned to take down almost every single mature tree on the site. From an Adirondack setting in the woods suddenly The Point looked like a randomly roughed out golf course.
Ownership changed to make it part of an international consortium. The meals and cabins are still very nice. Some major repairs needed to be done. But The Point has lost much of the cachet that made it one of the most luxurious resorts in the United States just a few years ago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Point is a world apart. A Private, adult only, Adirondack estate on the edge of a shining mountain lake. A Great Camp of the Great North Woods, built by William Avery Rockefeller a century ago as his family’s private home. Today The Point is a resort like no other, a magnificent log retreat full of priceless art and fine antiques, where guests gather as the high society of the Gilded Ages once did at vibrant house parties deep in the forest. As a guest of The Point, the secluded, 75-acre property is yours, the days unfold at your leisure, and the staff anticipates your every need. Each meal is an event, each day an adventure, each night a celebration. It is simple, splendid, authentic. It is a perfect place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your The Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Point Hotel Saranac Lake
- Point Saranac Lake
- Point Hotel Saranac Lake
- The Point Saranac Lake, New York