“Rescued my trip!”

St. Regis Canoe Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Saranac Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a full-service canoe and kayak outfitter offering canoe and kayak rentals, camping gear rentals, food packing and food drops, transportation and shuttles, and guides and instruction. Our two locations on the Saranac River and Floodwood Pond offer both a wide variety of gear for purchase, as well as free trip planning advice.
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Have never been so grateful for the existence of an outfitter. When I discovered that one of my tent poles were missing at the start of canoe trip, I headed down Floodwood Road to the remote store, hoping to get a replacement pole. My solo tent is a bit unusual and they didn't have a replacement there, but the friendly folks, who were just about to close, had the main store look into getting one to me when they opened the next day. In the meanwhile, I found that they rented tents and all sorts of items besides the boats. Saved my trip, as I rented a tent for a couple of days until I had planned to go to Saranac Lake anyway. At the main store I bought a larger model of the tent I'd rented, as I needed a new one for family campouts anyway. It was nice to have tried the model out first, and made me confident about the purchase. Everyone I dealt with was very helpful. Both the main store and the outpost are well stocked, and they offer a range of services for those who are visiting the St Regis Canoe Area. I brought my own boat and camping equipment, but purchased excellent maps thru them by phone a few weeks before. Also a pleasant interaction. Highly recommend SRCO to anyone wanting information about the Adirondacks.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"calendar"
"purchase"

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Couldn't have been happier with the staff here. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. Even gave us a loaner map of our route. We will definitely rent here again!

1  Thank Thomas B
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Brought towels and came early after we went in the drink. Appreciate the great service and highly recommend.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Rented a canoe from SRCO online, with lots of information and support from them by phone prior to arrival. So happy there are places like SRCO to support eco-tourism! They offer showers to customers on return from your tour. This was a great bonus for peeps like us primitive camping for several days. Just remember to lock your shower room door....another customer looking for a toilet walked right in as I was getting into the shower (butt naked), and there is a clear view to the checkout counter and main storefront entrance. My fault for not making sure the door was locked. That said, there is some information confusion within SRCO, but they seem to be mostly accommodating about it. We arrived to find that a 2 man canoe had been reserved for us, but we had a party of three. This was easily resolved, but could have been a problem if the 3 man canoe had been double-booked. There was some hesitation about letting us drop some camping trash in their can. I'm not sure what this is about. I would have thought it to be a minor issue in comparison to offering clean showers. The campground also has no trash collection for campers at the parking lot/check in/boat launch area. You might be expected to take literally all your trash home, in an extreme version of pack it in, pack it out leave no trace (this would include trash from items purchased at SRCO or in town). The people at SRCO were great though and we want to return. My dilemma is that the price of the canoe rental alone was so much - averaging $90/day - that the total cost of canoe and campsite was on par with a hotel, cabin or vacation rental. And that was with no other gear or supplies. Just a canoe, paddle and vest for each person and a lock to secure the canoe on shore. There was also a deposit for the canoe of over $3K. This seemed entirely unreasonable and made me feel very uneasy about the whole arrangement. A state campground might rent canoes for $20/day and no deposit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I were given a gift certificate for a tour at St Regis Outfitters and we chose the Historic Great Camps tour. Rivka was our guide. The day was wonderful and an adventure. The weather was very fickle and at one point a storm came up. Because of lightening we had to get off the water and got an up close look at one of the camps. While we didn't see all 10 or so camps we still had our picnic and a great day. I highly recommend this tour. Rivka is very knowledgeable and skilled in the water. This is a top notch outfitter and a must when in Saranac Lake.