“A Real Gem”
Review of Left Bank Cafe

Left Bank Cafe
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Saranac Lake
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, View, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: French Cafe/Bistro serving all day. Croissants & espresso, crepes & tartines, soups & salads, French Regional specialties, wine pairings, riverside dining in the summer. Annual break from November 14th to November 30th and Apri 19th to April 26th
Paris, France
“A Real Gem”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My go-to place when I visit my daughter in town. Simple French country cooking (think boeuf bourguignon), and an especially good brunch. Service can be iffy when crowded, and kitchen tends to be slow--but they start from scrtch on a lot and it is well worth the wait. Just a very enjoyable place.

• Visited March 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
“I thought I was back in France”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Our service was wonderful. Food and aromas fantastic. Try the roasted vegetables. Crepes? Ooh la la! Can't wait to go back in the fall. My father was in the hospital, so we actually went 2 nights in a row. For a small restaurant, wine list very well thought out.This review is for both nights.

Madison, WI
“Lovely”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

What a treat. I wish I had this at home. A local enticed us to this treasure and we had a wonderful mid-morning breakfast with a deliciously prepared crepe, a sumptuous croissant and terrific coffee in a charming setting. I especially appreciate the warm hospitality. It was clear that Left Bank is a favorite with locals, always a great sign. I only wish we could have come back for lunch and dinner!

Lake Placid, New York
“Relaxing atmosphere, excellent crepes!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

A great place to sit by yourself and read a paper or meet a friend for lunch, good service but don't be in a hurry. You are not made to feel rushed when you are finished with your meal. Like how they automatically bring you water to your table in a pretty wine bottle. Nice fresh fruit served with your crepe and desert. Good cappuccinos. Anne who runs the restaurant also works in culinary at Paul Smiths College. Haven't tried their dinner yet but we are planning to go back for that soon!

1 Thank Kitt785
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the wait.”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Recently stopped by after picking my Francophile son up from a nearby camp. The place was nearly empty, but a bit crowded in the front. We walked to back of restaurant where a woman jumped out from behind the bar and said we couldn't sit anywhere in the back because they just had a call reserving tables for 13 people. ( Then put a "reserved" sign on the tables. ) We sat in the front where 2 other tables were filled, forced to listen to the pretentious loudmouth next to us, while the entire rear of the restaurant remained empty for the next 90 minutes. It took the waiter forever to take our order. It took even longer to bring my cafe au lait, and then it got cold while I waited for him to come back with the pots of tea for my son and husband. Tea arrived and there was a big hair in the empty cup. The waiter disappeared and we finally had to go to the bar to request a fresh cup. Instead of giving it to us, we were forced to wait for our useless waiter to fetch one. He never even apologized. The service was painfully slow and awkward. Having waitressed my way through college, I was completely disgusted. The omelettes took ages. I guess they've never watched Julia Child cook an omelette in just a few short minutes. What should have been a quick and pleasant 40 minute breakfast with fun conversation turned into a 90 minute "what not to do when running a restaurant" discussion. And to add insult to injury, the chairs are incredibly uncomfortable. Skip this place.

1 Thank MrsScrappy