“Great Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Fox Restaurant

Red Fox Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 38 Restaurants in Saranac Lake
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Albany, NY
“Great Find”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have vacationed in the Lake Placid/Saranac Lake area many times and this year we were looking for a great place that was not super pricey and nearby. This is it!! It was just a mile from Ampersand Bay Resort (love that place as well) where we were staying so that was an added bonus. I had the Duck L'Orange and it was probably the best I've ever had. The sauce was sweet, but I had it on the side so not to over indulge. I think there was Grand Marnier in it as the orange rind pieces were SO tasty! My husband had the chicken marsala and gave it a thumbs up as well. We wish they had had a soup to our liking that night so we didn't have to have the tomato juice, but that was not a big thing with us. Great bread! The dining room itself was pleasant. The annuals in the back yard were still in bloom and provided a nice view on the hillside out the back windows. We'll be back! I have never given a 5 star rating, so 4 stars is really good from me! They do not have a website and I could not find a menu on-line and a place where we stayed that had area menus also did not have their's, so I was hesitant to try it. So glad that Ampersand Bay Resort recommended it so we did go.

Wayland, NY USA
“Really nice place to eat”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We visited on a Monday evening, expecting a small turnout. Surprise! Not full, but well attended. I had the Filet Mignon, and friends had the salmon and stuffed sole. Soup of the day was split pea. The salad was small but just right. The bread arrived on a wooden tray - delicious. My filet was perfect, and my friend reported that her salmon was the best she had ever had. I enjoyed my Lake Placid I.P.A.I had a choice of baked potato or rice pilaf - I chose the rice and enjoyed the flavor. Our waitress was very attentive and personable. I will visit this restaurant again the next time I am in the Lake Placid area.

Plattsburgh, New York
“As Always....Delicious!!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We have been coming here for many years and have yet to be disappointed. Tonight's meal as usual was promptly and attentively served. The entrees include a starter of soup or juice. I usually get the tomato juice, but sampled the corn chowder and found it hot and tasty with a creamy chicken stock base. I ordered the prime rib au jus, which came just as I ordered, along with a baked potato and a hot crusty loaf of bread. The horseradish I requested was fresh and biting...just the way it should be. I often order the veal parmesan, which is always a treat. The ambiance is casual and very attractive, with red foxes popping up all over the place. Generous windows in the main dining room overlook a beautiful rock garden bursting with flowers. This is a wonderful place to take your family, go out with a group, or just enjoy a quiet couples dinner. Their consistently excellent food and service earns the Red Fox a five in my book!

Danbury, Connecticut
“Do not go high expectation”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

It had very high rating and got high recommendation from hotel. However, it did not meet our expectation. Whole bread on a wooden tray was delightful treat, and bread was delicious.
My husband ordered 'roasted duck in orange sauce', Duck was very moist and tender, but the orange sauce was too sweet and no other taste. I ordered 'linguine with white clam sauce'. It was very dry, but after taste was very good. Most of time, linguine with clam sauce got ample liquid in my experience.
Service was wonderful.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mindy P
Saranac Lake
“Wonderful folks”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We had dinner at the Red Fox on Saturday evening. As usual we were warmly greeted and had an opportunity to chat about things happening around town. Know that when we go there they are consistent with the preparation of the food and the service will be wonderful. They never rush you to eat and leave. No loud music. Easily accessible and parking is fine. The garden was in full bloom and the birds and bees were all about searching for nectar.

• Visited July 2013