“Family Tradition”

Dining options: Reservations
Lake Placid, New York
“Family Tradition”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have selected the Red Fox in Saranac Lake for our annual celebration of my husbands birthday. We have our small family gather here and have never been disappointed in the dinner or the service. My grandchildren never leave anything on their plates.

• Visited August 2014

PA
“Enjoyable dinner”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The service is fantastic, our waitress was very nice and knowledgable about the dishes. My dinner was very good, I enjoyed one of the seafood and pasta dishes and my husband had the stuffed sole. The ice cream sundae (a small is perfect size) was a nice ending to the meal. My husband thought the cannoli was wonderful. Nice wine list. Lovely garden view from our table.

• Visited July 2014
Upstate New York
“excellent meal and service, ambiance”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very good chicken picatta and another chicken dish with spicy sausage. Good wine list. Service was good - Christina was very helpful with my wife's requirement for gluten-free food; they do not have a specific GF menu but almost anything can be prepared gluten-free.

• Visited July 2014
Souderton, Pennsylvania
“Just right.....”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

After driving for almost seven hours and getting settled into our room at the "Sara-Placid Motor Inn" we were beat and just wanted a good meal and a few drinks. The owner of the Sara-Placid recommended the Red Fox Restaurant. It was just a short drive from the Motor Inn and just what we were looking for.....a nice quiet setting, good menu selection, cold beer and very personable staff. We had a very good meal in a nice relaxing atmosphere. We would not hesitate to go there again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Anthony Z
Brainardsville
“Don't believe everything you read”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I, with another couple, were going to Saranac Lake to an art show and wanted to find a good restaurant. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we settled on the Red Fox Restaurant. The first impression was good; nicely appointed bar and dining area with the red fox theme carried throughout.
The menu offered a good selection with fish, fowl, meat and Italian selections. Loving a good meatball, I decided on the Angel hair pasta with meatballs, both wives chose Stuffed Flounder and our fourth ordered Shrimp Scampi. The meals come with soup, salad, vegetable and the entrée, all for a reasonable price.
The soup du jour was New England clam chowder. It was not good, lacking richness, short of vegetables and the few pieces of clam were rubbery, either overcooked or more probably from a can. The salad was OK and utilized a variety of greens. The meals were not so good.
As I said, I love meatballs. The description on the menu said "Italian meatballs"; the ones' that I was served were more likely from a bag in the freezer. Obviously not homemade, when cut in half they resembled what you would expect from a bag in the freezer at Sam's Club, heavy on the "pink slime."
The other meals were judged to be "just OK." The baked potato overcooked and hard, the fish and shrimp were nothing special. Not wishing to "push our luck" we passed on the desert menu.
Would I eat there again: probably not. On the plus side, the price was reasonable

• Visited November 2013