“Property is what it is, but poor business practices” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Side Motel

Lake Side Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saranac Lake
Lake Side Motel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Saranac Lake
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Property is what it is, but poor business practices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We used this motel as a stopover for a business trip on the night of 11/5/12 and found the accomodations to be ok. Nothing fancy but we didn't expect it to be. The room was clean and comfortable. We paid enough for a very basic room in offseason but that was ok. It is what it is. However when we returned home and I checked my credit card statement to submit expenses I found that I had been charged $100 more than what was on my signed credit card receipt. I called the motel and was informed that they found that our toilet tank had cracked and that it had to be replaced and that I was being charged for the repair. After a frank conversation, I was offered to split the difference for the repairs for which I frankly don't ever expect to see the credit. We certainly did not do anything that would have deliberately broken a toilet tank, and if we had noticed something wrong we certainly would have reported it to the owner. But to have a credit card charged an additional $100 without authorization, not to mention not even being notified, is unethical and illegal. So if you use this property, pay very close attention to your ultimate charges. They seem to want to pass the costs of doing business on to their customers.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Tubaman77-CTC

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lindenhurst, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

The place has amazing water pressure. Is old and in dire need of a renovation. The pool wasn't clean enough to go in. The owner was cranky. We have stayed in the area for the past 20 years and never stayed here before, but this was a last minute trip and nothing else was left. We would stay here again if we had to but only if there was nothing else left.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Doreen W
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I decided last minute to go up to Saranac Lake to visit a friend so we didn't have alot of options for lodging. We were hesitant about staying in a motel but I have to say as far as motels go it was fine. Very clean and quiet room with great water pressure. For $99 a night it wasn't bad....had a nice pool and lake access where we had our coffee in the morning. It was tacky but I haven't seen a motel yet that wasn't. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mareart
Chazy, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

The interaction with the owners is very unpleasant, the scowling and condescending husband and the tired, impatient wife. If I want to watch a couple argue and criticize each other, I'll watch reruns of "Rosanne" . If the place weren't the last available room in town, I wouldn't even go there because I've heard the reputation. Then there is the lack of decent hot water which goes from scalding to frigid then back again. A mention of this to the owner results in hostility and badmouthing of the plumber, by name. It leaves me with a tacky feeling I don't think I could wash off, even if there were adequate hot water. AVOID

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Chazylady

Travellers are raving about these Saranac Lake hotels

ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

When we called for a price, we were quoted 99$ then the we called back to book and we were quoted 120$. We decided to book any way and when we drove up the first thing I noticed was the christmas wreath and christmas lights still up, it was August. The grass was not cut and the pool was filthy. They are doing somekind of construction and there were ladders, boxes and construction stuff all over the front half of the building. The guy was not pleasant and complained to everyone that checked in about how tired he was. The Good thing was the rooms were clean and large. The towels were soft and smelled wonderful. Whoever is cleaning this place is doing a great job. But be aware that our bathroom door did not shut all the way and that the water in the shower goes from very hot to ice cold in seconds-- makes for an interesting shower in the morning. After driving all over Saranace Lake and Lake Placid, we realized that we were staying at the shabbiest looking place in the area. There is a "for sale" sign in the front, so maybe someone will buy this poor little motel and fix it up.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rtang30
New York State
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

After booking our trip we had to cancel due to family issues, and thought everything was fine. 2 weeks later found out they charged us for our room anyway!! We were not told about any cancellation policy at the time of reservation or at the time of cancellation. So beware there is apparently a 7 day in advance cancelllation policy! Owners would not credit us, but would allow us to come at a different time. We ended up going a couple of weeks later since it was already paid for and spoke with other visitors and didn't see or hear anything in writing about their "cancellation policy". But other than that the place was very clean, small bathroom, low to the ground beds, and no microwave as advertised. View of lake, and pool were nice.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TripReview23
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2006

We stayed two nights in September, extending a night because we liked the place so much. The owners were very friendly and helpful; the room (on the lake) was attractive, clean and comfortable; and the view of the lake charming. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a motel in Saranac Lake.

2 Thank BR120603
Lake Placid Lodge
#9 of 30 in Lake Placid
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel

Been to Lake Side Motel? Share your experiences!