“Except for the shower, this room was great”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Norton, Virginia
“Except for the shower, this room was great”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here last minute for a funeral. My husband, brother and myself shared a 2 double bed suite room. The room was really nice with a microwave and fridge, desk and a sleeper sofa. The room and hotel was very clean. It had an indoor pool but no hot tub. There is a seating area where there are jets in the pool, but the water that came out of the jets was COLD COLD COLD, probably because it was very cold outside when we were there. We stayed in the pool less than 15 minutes because it was fairly chilly in the pool. The pool desk shower and towels were nice and plentiful though. The fitness room was nice and overlooked the lobby, never saw anyone in there really. The lobby has a nice dining area and fireplace. ALL THE STAFF WAS GREAT! Once you were in your room, it was really well insulated, never heard the room underneath of us or next to us. Also, the Walmart was right next door as was the Golden Corral. There are several restaurants and stores within 5 miles. The hotel is less than a mile from I-87 and 3 miles from downtown Saratoga Springs. They had cookies out in the afternoon and fruit out all day. I think with some minor tweaks this could easily be a 5 star property.
My only cons:
1. The shower in room 218 had an issue with the thermostat. The knob never really got all the way to "hot" and so you had to play with the handle to get it from lukewarm to warm. I thought it might be a hotel problem since it was so cold outside but the shower on the pool deck got super hot.
2. I feel like it would be nice to have 2 queen beds instead of 2 double beds in a room of that size. There is so much "extra" stuff in the room, that only 2 double beds fit.
3. Breakfast was free (awesome!) but the eggs were gross and burnt and the sausage was greasy. (Yes, I shouldn't complain about free).
4. It would have been nice for the pool to be slightly warmer.
5. The mattresses and pillows weren't that comfortable. I realize this is an entirely personal preference. However, the pillows had to be formed into basketballs so they didn't become pancakes.
Overall, an really nice stay. Would def. stay again if in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Colchester, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We actually found this chain hotel on tripadvisor on an impulse trip to Saratoga Springs. The front office staff were wonderful, and they honored the rate that had been quoted on the tripadvisor app. The place was exceptionally clean and QUIET! Even though we saw many people, once you were in your room you didn't hear a thing. In the morning they had a free continental breakfast, with excellent coffee. The lobby was warm and inviting with a fireplace going...perfect for the chilly night. I would go there again in a heartbeat. There were many restaurants, shops, and malls close by as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We used to stay with a relative who is now in assisted living. We have a well behaved small dog. Pet fee is $10/night, but we can bring a kennel and leave her in the room for short times, which is a huge help if relative happens to be in hospital when we come. (Take Fido with you in the late morning and give the staff a chance to clean the room!) Thanksgiving was amusing, we had a front row seat for the pre-Black-Friday insanity at Walmart across the street (some of the shoppers parked in the hotel lot. Boooo). While the hotel's Christmas decorations were beautiful, I really wasn't ready to see them on Thanksgiving night. Room clean and well maintained, coffee/tea always available, afternoon cookies, and nothing like watching the snow come down outside while you're swimming inside! We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Ashley at the front desk was so helpful it made our stay. First, she called before our arrival to resolve our need for a pet-friendly room - solved. Our room was very nice and had several touches that you don't often see: night lights in and by the bathroom, towels by the jacuzzi were molded into the shape of swans, there was a cozy electric fireplace. Breakfast was good but we had to rush out. Just a couple of hours later, Ashley called to let me know I had left my iphone charger in the room. She took care of mailing it back to me right there. The four stars for sleep is just because there was a little draft under the heater by the bed.

Overall, this was a great value at around $100 with the AAA discount. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi room is nice after a long day.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Albany NY
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Was looking for a place following Saratoga Springs First Night new years eve event - most of in-town places were getting $200-$250 for this popular event. Took a chance on this outlying Comfort Inn (about 1.5 miles from downtown) after learning they provided shuttle service to-and-from downtown until 2 am for the occasion. Good choice, nice public spaces (decorated for holidays), fireplace in lobby, more than decent breakfast (included), comfortable, modern & spacious rooms w/ fridge & microwave, free wi-fi, and directly across street from suburban shopping center w/ Walmart & Applebees. Pleasant personnel.throughout, including front desk and shuttle driver(s). Even had special 'treats' (cookies, cakes, champagne) waiting in lobby for post-party revelers. Would consider this for summer alternative when track is open and downtown Saratoga hotel rates are exorbitant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
jcarda, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
What a wonderful outline to an ending of an old year and the beginning of a New Year! I think you outlined our hotel perfectly. We wanted to make the guest bring in the New Year perfectly! We did run the shuttle late so the guest could fully experience the fireworks and to deter drinking and driving. What would New Year's Eve really be without the fireworks? I am glad you had a fantastic time and I am ecstatic that we could be part of that New Year's and cater all the small things that made it special. Happy New Year's and may the New Year be wonderful to you!

Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We loved it, everyone was very nice and happy always smiling!! The breakfast attendant went above and beyond keeping everything stocked being overly helpful I was so amazed, she even helped me serve my 3 children and warmed milk for our baby!! I have to say she was one of the BEST I've ever seen and we stay here all the time do to my husbands job!! Thank you young lady and also a big thanks to the housekeepers and front desk for being oh so helpful!! I will be visiting again and can't wait!! Well wishes to all!

• Stayed December 2013
It is always wonderful to be appreciated. Thank you for recognizing our wonderful staff here at The Comfort Inn and Suites of Saratoga Springs. We know quite well how busy a mother's life can be with children running around and are always glad to be of service wherever possible. A little bit can go a long ways. Thank you again for your appreciation and we hope to see you again soon. Happy New Year's!

Lake Placid, New York
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Location – Location – Location! Great hospitality! Everything was perfect. The entire facility was very clean. All the staff was cheerful and friendly. My room was very clean. The sheets were soft and the bed was comfy. The pillows were just the right size. The location was very convenient. I don’t drive and I was able to walk less than a block to catch a transit bus. There was shopping and restaurants across the street. The location was very quiet. My room overlooked a forested snow-covered hill so it was like being in the woods. I could see critter paw prints in the snow. It was quiet, peaceful, and serene. I thoroughly enjoyed everything and everybody. The breakfast was abundant: sausage, eggs, waffles, pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, etc. The breakfast attendant worked non-stop to keep the area very clean and well stocked. I would definitely stay at this accommodation again. The lobby area was elaborately decorated for Christmas and there was a huge welcoming fire in the fireplace.

Room Tip: We all have personal preferences. Do not hesitate to ask. The staff will definitely try to accommo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wanda M
jcarda, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for such wonderful insight on our hotel. Many people overlook the location of our hotel. The woods in the back are quite serene, especially after freshly fallen snow. It is quite peaceful, and still if you go to the front of our hotel you have so many options of wining and dining. I do not know of any hotels in the area quite like it. Its a perfect place to go and take a breath or take a credit card.
Our breakfast attendant, and one of the newest members of the family, has had numerous compliments lately. She works hard to make sure everyone is fully accommodated and feels right at home, while we make sure that there is a large variety to choose from so each and every guest feels like their day is started out the right way!
Thank you again for such a unique and wonderful response and we hope to see you again soon!