“Charming Inn at Saratoga”

The Inn at Saratoga
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Rock City Falls, New York
“Charming Inn at Saratoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

The Inn at Saratoga was a great place to stay. My fiance and I live close by but just needed to get away for a special night out. The Inn provided the perfect place. All of Downtown is within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and accommodating on the phone. We ended being out very late and even the night auditor was friendly and cheerful when we returned. The Inn at Saratoga has a perfect location and perfect charm. We were very pleased!!

• Liked — The Inn had a great atmosphere; Victorian yet all the modern needs.
  • Disliked — Not being able to spend more time there.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2009

I am frequent visitors to the Inn at Saratoga. The rooms are each unique and interesting- and immaculate an coziness of the carriage house, but the convenience to the delicious breakfast in the Inn can't be beat! The staff was all friendly and attentive to our needs during are stay.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Washington DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

I will NEVER book a room at the Inn at Saratoga again nor recommend it. My fiancée and I purchased a room for one night at the Inn at Saratoga through Priceline. When we arrived, the front desk clerk had no record of our reservation and no empty rooms to offer us. When I presented my confirmation papers, he explained that he would have to “walk” us to another hotel (ie. Call up neighboring hotels and see if there are any vacancies).

Because it’s a busy weekend, he called several hotels before finding any empty rooms. The first room he offered us? A room with a single TWIN bed for me and my fiancée at a neighboring hotel. The second option was a room at a hotel three miles away, nowhere near walking distance to downtown. I reluctantly accepted it because I was getting angrier at the whole process. The clerk gave us a pre-printed letter for overbooked guests where he had written in the name of the new hotel. When we get there, the room that we were given was across the hall from a wedding reception.

When I spoke to the manager of the Inn at Saratoga, he said that Priceline and I had done everything correctly with my reservation. His explanation was that someone at the Inn had made my reservation for one night PRIOR to my scheduled arrival. He could not say who had made the mistake and chalked the whole thing up to human error. He said that “sometimes mistakes do happen and unfortunately, I’m sorry that this time it happened to you.” I wrote it down while I was talking to him because I couldn’t believe that someone in the hospitality industry was settling for human error in handling hotel reservations.

I made sure that Priceline refunded our money. The Inn at Saratoga paid for our new room at a hotel on the outskirts of town. We ended up needing to drive everywhere we wanted to go.

The whole experience was the last thing that you want to deal with on a vacation. I believe that one mistake from a hotel is too many in an industry that depends on customer service and customer reviews. Where would they have put us if this was racing season? If you want to risk mishandled reservations and being reassigned to less than ideal accommodations, take your chances with the Inn at Saratoga.

• Disliked — Mishandling of reservation
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nctravel20005
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

Quaint looking exterior and a nice old bar. Restaurant service was great, food, just OK.
Main problem was the very expensive suite. Unit A. It was moldy, dark and primative. My wife and I were hard pressed to walk around with bare feet, let alone get undressed. We first thought oh my god, bug's, But we didn't see any. The Bathroom was indeed large, but again molding around the edges. All in all it was scary. We didn't feel at all secure either being around the back of the hotel. I would look without any question look elsewhere, even if it were a half an hour away.
Broken up foot path to the room, I could go on and on, but won't.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price and condition of room. They should have paid me to stay there.
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank JOHNNYJC
New Jersey Bergen Cty
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

Room was very noisy right thru the night. Construction going on. Never asked how our stay was, probably knew how we would respond. -----Would not stay here again...

• Liked — Room decor
  • Disliked — Very Noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Newbury, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

My husband and I have mixed fellings about this place. Let's start with the "goods".

Really friendly staff in the restaurant, bar and reception. My husband was delighted with the free bike hire. The restaurant food is really good - super "home cooked" breakfasts and whether a la carte or bar menu, the evening meals are elegant and good value.

Now the "bads". In common with all other hotels in the area, you get charged an arm and a leg for staying here in racing season and so we expected a good standard of accomodation. The bedroom was disappointing however. We were on the ground floor with a view of the gravel car park, there was no wardrobe (a bit of a problem when you are staying 2 weeks!) and the maid service for the first 10 days was very poor - the room was clean enough, but lights were left on, pyjamas just dumped on the floor or a chair, empty shampoo bottles left in the bath and not replaced. Wet bath towels just refolded so still soaking wet when we came to use them that evening. When "front of house" is so good, this really lets them down. In fairness, the maid service picked up in the latter two days of our stay, but I am still trying to get over no wardrobe and a gravel car park view for a fortnight - you'd think they'd manage better for a long term guest!

• Liked — The friendly, helpful staff in the bar and restaurant.
  • Disliked — The view and maid service in the bedroom.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2008

Stayed here twice on a tour of the USA. 45 different hotels in total. This was the best by far. As far as character goes this has it in spades and the town is beautiful. Borrow a bicycle and cycle through the parks up the road [they had a tandem!]. The restaurant is excellent. The bar is lovely. The staff were cool and great fun.
By the way if anyone recommends you try a cocktail with the word Frog in it, don't. We drank a jug...

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business