“A very good "New American" dinner in Saratoga Springs”

Sperry's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sperry's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
“A very good "New American" dinner in Saratoga Springs”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My family enjoyed a very good dinner at Sperry's on a Saturday night. The "Fall" menu was very appealing with many interesting choices. All dishes well prepared/presented - top quality ingredients. Professional/pleasant service. Restaurant was very busy and very noisy - reservations a must. You do not want to sit in the up-front bar area. Squash soup and chicken liver/bean spread bruschetta were very good appetizers. All main dishes very enjoyed. Serious desserts. Nice choice of wines by the glass. A relatively expensive restaurant for Saratoga Springs. Would return for a special occasion.

• Visited November 2013

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Party of 12”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Dinner was great. We were celebrating a 50th birthday and everyone ordered something different. Everyone remarked how delicious their meal was with regard to the waiter's description of the dishes. Halibut was great, the filet mignon was cooked to order and melted in your mouth. Veal chops were huge, scallops, Jambalaya, and the fish special, were all good.

• Visited November 2013
Albuquerque
“Good Food and Service”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I have to start by praising the front desk for calling me before letting our table go. I put the wrong time in my calendar and the hostess was kind enough to call me. The service was very good. My son had a delicious sea bass and my husband had a great halibut dish. I had scallops which were also well prepared. Good martinis and relaxing atmosphere.

Visited October 2013
“Nice Ambiance, Bland Food”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We ate at Sperry's recently and had a very average experience.

AMBIANCE/SERVICE: Nice. A couple of different rooms, including a nice pub-style room and another with darkly paneled walls, white tablecloths, and interesting caricatures of local racing royalty on the walls. The service was friendly and prompt. No complaints there.

FOOD: We were excited about the menu, which had been updated for Autumn with some interesting-sounding seasonal choices. We had a butternut squash bisque, a hearty mushroom risotto, salmon, and a filet with "truffled" mashed potatoes. Everything was nicely presented but... bland. We appreciate that many fine restaurants under-salt their dishes, figuring that patrons can always add salt, but not subtract it. But this wasn't just about salt. None of the dishes had much of a flavor profile to them. The mashed potatoes were lukewarm, and the texture was perhaps one step up from potato flakes. The wine list was typical for Saratoga, with reasonable choices from around $45. The best part of the meal was actually the Gruyere cheese "popover" they brought us instead of bread; it had nice Gruyere flavor.

All in all, very much an average dining experience. It's the sort of place that we're unlikely to choose again ourselves, but if someone else suggested we meet them there we'd probably shrug and say okay.

• Visited October 2013
“Better than it was”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I went hear for a large wedding rehearsal dinner in 2010. It was terrible, a mix of slow service, subpar food with inflated prices.

I recently decided to give it a try against my better judgement. The food and service were both slightly better. The prices were about the same. I can't believe this is as highly rated as it is. The location and setting are great, they just need a chef and a waitstaff to match.