“NOT recommended...”

Villa Balsamo Restaurant
New York City, New York
“NOT recommended...”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My family and friends went here with a party of 24. We had a separate dining room which was nice and private. We ordered family style dining to make life easier for the amount of people we had. Half of our party ended up walking out due to rude comments made by a waiter about 10 minutes into being seated.

The bill was outrageous!! And for what?! Wine alone cost $500 for about 5/6 bottles. We didn't choose this, that was "what they had". The food was not at all worth the price you pay. The salad was brown, the chicken was rubbery, and the veal was paper thin.

Bad food, questionable service, overpriced...I would never go back here.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank sbholo

saratoga springs
“A gastronomic delight”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The stuffed shrimp oreganata was fabulous. The fettuccine al prosciutto out of this world and the Veal Marsala the best I ever tasted. Lovely setting and elegant surroundings with nice staff and friendly atmosphere. Waitress Francesca extremely helpful in advising how much food to order and which wine to order.
Reasonably priced for the top-notch quality. I'll return next week.

Visited August 2011
6 Thank joescug
“Always a treat!”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

After waiting all year for the place to open again my husband and I returned to Saratoga for the races and, of course the Villa Balsamo. It is always a major highlight during our stay in town. We were, as usual, intimidated by the "family style" portions. Luckily our server was helpful in guiding us to the right dinner. You do NOT want to miss out on a course because your worried about having too much food. Order 3 courses and have your server help you in getting the right portion. Nothing here has, or ever will change. Always excellent food and service in a beautiful and historic mansion. We can't wait to go back with a larger party.
I would recommend the fettuccini prosciutto sauce, as well as the seabass and the veal chop (if they still have it.)
and of the small waitstaff, you want the girl ( I think theres only 1)
bring your friends and mangia!

• Visited July 2011
6 Thank jmoran2278
Jupiter, Florida
“Joey D”
Reviewed 16 June 2010

The best thing that could have happen to that dead town, now saratoga is saratoga!!!!!!! All of the above worth every penny and more. When this place is gone you will never see another like it, sooooooooo people go an """MANGIA""""""

4 Thank josephjbalsamojr
Boston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I didn't get past the RUDE receptionist on the phone!!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Called to make a reservation and was rudely informed that reservations were NOT accepted (as if I should have known!) I asked if the restaurant was big (to get a feel as to whether my party of four would be able to get a table) and the receptionist stated, "let's just say, ma'am, if you come tonight you will NOT get a table."

Let's just say I will NEVER go THAT restaurant. I bet the receptionist gets off her high horse once the racing season is over!

1 Thank Lulu811