“a historical experience and a great soak.”

Roosevelt Baths and Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historic Roosevelt Baths & Spa opened in 1935 as a bathhouse, part of the Saratoga Spa complex, which includes the Gideon Putnam Resort.
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“a historical experience and a great soak.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Really loved being in the soak rooms with the old tubs. While it did feel hospital like as someone noted, this is how it was when it was constructed in the early 1900's which I found pretty awesome. The locker room was crowded so it would be nice if there were two of those somewhere. Everything was clean. If I had known how soft my skin was going to be, I would have soaked my face too.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank lamaroon

New York City, New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Uncomfortable experience, poorly handled by management”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Copied below is an email that I sent to the general manager at the Roosevelt Baths and Spa. I had an uncomfortable experience there and am generally not one to complain but the more I thought about it, and considering the amount of money I spent for poor service, I wanted to address the issue with management and give them a chance to respond.

I received no response until after I completed a guest satisfaction survey that I was emailed days after my stay at the Gideon Putnam hotel, in which I requested that someone in management follow-up with me.

Here is the email I sent to the general manager and feedback I provided in the guest satisfaction survey:

" I visited the Roosevelt Baths & Spa for a Swedish massage on Friday, April 25th. I was very much looking forward to the treatment but felt it fell short of expectations. I resolved to chalk it up to a poor experience but upon further thought, I considered the amount of money I spent for this service, how uncomfortable I felt when I left and wish to provide feedback to prevent future patrons from having a similar experience.

When I called to make an appointment, I was told the only available massage appointment for the day would be with a male masseuse. Because of my schedule it was the only opportunity I would have had to visit. I have received massages from males before and am not made uncomfortable by the gender difference. What did make me uncomfortable, though, was that during my massage, the masseuse, Michael, would breathe closely to me, sucking air through his teeth and mumble under his breath ("yes, yup, uh-huh").

Typically, when I get massages the masseuse will state up front how to communicate if a touch is too firm, too light, makes me feel uncomfortable, etc. I was not given this option and felt slightly uncomfortable speaking up during the massage. In general, the massage had very little pressure and felt mostly like having my skin rubbed. I was also slapped and had my scalp scratched- techniques I've never encountered during a massage.

I did ask if Michael could focus on my neck and shoulders as I have a great deal of tension in those areas. The massage did not seem tailored to what I had asked for and the masseuse instead spent a lot of time massaging my upper thighs and buttocks- something that also made me feel uncomfortable. Again, I understand that I should have spoken up but it felt very awkward. Part of the reason I said nothing was that I predicted that once I had turned over onto my back, he would have spent some time working on my neck and shoulders- however, these areas were completely ignored.

I was also disappointed with the spa's amenities. The room my massage was in had very thin walls and I could hear conversations outside the room and the continual sound of water draining- I assume from mineral baths in another room. The sheet used was very thin, worn and transparent so when I turned over, I felt very exposed and embarrassed.

I felt very uncomfortable with the entire situation and left completely un-relaxed and with a sore neck and shoulders. I wanted to share my experience so that this issue can be addressed and future guests will, I hope, have a more pleasant experience than I did. Thank you for the opportunity to provide this feedback."

I received a very brief email response from the general managers assistant which said "sorry you had bad service, we'll share the feedback".

I do not intend to return to the spa. In addition to my uncomfortable experience, I found the facilities in need of some updates-overall, it just was lacking a comfortable, relaxing spa-like atmosphere. My money would be better spent elsewhere.

Visited April 2014
10 Thank foodographer
east boston
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“total relaxing & awesome customer service”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Had some medical issue that requried attention,Contacted Vanessa at The Spa who subsequenty made appt. Although it was off-season (beware /very crowded in August),staff was very efficiant & caring.
Upon arriving ,there was no waiting & i received Mineral Bath + massage.The Spa was very clean and overall -i was completly satisfied with treatment,that meet all my expectations.
Thank you & see you again.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank s m
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not what we expected.....”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently went to Roosevelt Spa with a friend for a much needed girls night out. We both enjoy spa days so we booked a mineral bath, massage, and a side by side deluxe pedicure. A lady named Bridgett booked everything and was awesome.

Day of service (3/15) we walked in and we were greeted and quickly shown the steam room and the locker room. I was a bit thrown off because I was told they see 200+ ppl per day and the locker rooms were so small. I was also surprised by the spa seeming a bit outdated and institutional. I figured the services must have been magnificent.

We went to the steam room first and it was very small and it didn't smell or feel clean. No big deal, we just went to the relaxation room. We appreciated the fruit and tea, but it was pretty loud and not relaxing by any means. The chaise lounge chairs were nice!

Mineral bath was great! I have seen people complain about the color of the water, but the gentlemen explained why and it was fine. I didn't feel very relaxed as the room again, just felt like I was in an institution or old school room. I normally get a deep tissue massage, but I decided on a Swedish and it was just OK. I live in Lake Placid NY and have many spas to visit and frequently get massages so I know a good one and a bad one when I get one. Very routine and predictable.

We then moved onto the pedicures. We were definitely not scheduled side by side we specifically requested. which required us to spend another 1.5 hours (after we had been there for 2.5 already.) I asked the girl what was going on and she and the lady doing manicures said they go by the schedule they receive so we would have to wait. The other spa chair was free but they advised that they couldn't do the side by side because there wasn't enough room if the other lady was doing a manicure. The room was old, cluttered, and extremely small and uncomfortable. There was nothing deluxe about that pedicure what so ever. I so wanted those nice smooth feet and I left with basically a paint job. Way overpriced! I get better Pedi's at the mall on my lunch break!

Lastly when checking out, I decided to leave JUST the 18%... I mean, it was mediocre service at a high price. The lady at the reception was thoroughly annoyed when I told her 18% for each and then I didn't know the price to tell her the amount. She whisked that price menu out of the holder and then proceeded to spend 20 minutes getting me and my friend checked out. She did however offer us both a free mineral bath on her for the scheduling mistake. Unfortunately, it would take more than a free mineral bath to return.

Thanks but no thanks, Roosevelt! Your spa would be OK if you lowered your prices to match the mediocre spa and service you provide!

Visited March 2014
7 Thank Adkgirl78
Niskayuna, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Unique location, but really could have been cleaner”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

On first glance, the spa is lovely. The relaxation room is spacious with a wall fireplace and water feature room separator. But, when I see stains on the carpet and bathrooms needing attention, it really shocks me at such a pricey venue. Then I start to look for other shortcomings which I find annoying on my day out.
My sugar scrub with Darlene and then soak was terrific though I felt awkward in the tub because I kept slipping.
My pedicure/manicure with Jen was weak. I didn't care for the ambience which could have been tidier, but also think they need a much better nail tech on staff. Save your money on this service for sure if Jen is the tech.

Visited March 2014