“An Interesting Experience”

Roosevelt Baths and Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historic Roosevelt Baths & Spa opened in 1935 as a bathhouse, part of the Saratoga Spa complex, which includes the Gideon Putnam Resort.
Williamsville, New York
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“An Interesting Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and and I stopped by after our trip to the Adirondacks. We wanted to experience the famous springs. It was housed in a very old building that had its heyday in the 30's. It appeared clean and we were greeted warmly. We were led to a very tiny overcrowded locker room and then to our therapy room by am woman we explained everything. We had a relaxing soak in a warm tub of brownish, bubbling, mineral water in a private room. The room was a cross between an institution and the hotel in The movie "The Shining." I had a 30 minute message in the same room.
It was pretty good, but I have better. When we went to check out a woman named Kay was at the desk. She had a bad attitude from the start. She kept insisting we tip the woman who led us to the room. I had an envelope for her which was in the room and put $ in for my husband and me. She snapped that we had to put it in some box around the desk which I did not see. She really ruined the whole experience for me. She was also rather rude to my husband.
The experience was enjoyable overall, but don't go on a weekend or holiday. The entire area was extremely crowded. It's fun to find all the natural drinking fountains and shop or have lunch downtown while you are there.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank packmybags88

Scottsdale, Arizona
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Just what I needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I found this place by accident two years ago when I was driving around the town. At that time, I didn't have time for anything. I came back to the area since then but never had time to use this spa.

Finally after two long years of waiting, I finally made time for myself to enjoy the 40 mins of mineral bath. Wow, why did I wait so long?

When I called to make reservation, I was told to come in early to enjoy the facility. So I did. I showed up 45 mins before my appointment. Staff showed me the women's locker, steam room, and relaxation room. I quickly changed to the nice robe to enjoy some time in the steam room, then laid at the nice lounge chair at the relaxation, enjoying a nice cup of herb tea.

Staff came to get me and showed me to the bath. She did warn me how deep the tub was (we can't see the bottom due to its mineral water color), and sure enough, it was really deep. I soaked myself in the deep mineral water for 40 mins, relaxing my body and mind as they played nice calming music. I floated in the water for 40 mins and she gently knocked the door to let me know the time was up and had a warm towel for me.

My mind and body was so relaxed after the bath, my whole body felt so light.

We all need to treat ourselves from time to time. $35 was good price and I truly enjoyed my time here. I wish I live closer... I would be here every month! I will definitely make time to come back here every time I am in town. It is so worth it.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Hamham730
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Step back in time & have a bath”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My husband & I really enjoyed our Roosevelt experience. I think what made our time there so special is that, prior to going, we read a bit about Saratoga Springs history from the discovery of the mineral springs, its reputation as a 19th-20th century health & wellness retreat, and the chemistry of the assorted springs (including why the water turns brown). I don't believe it is intended to be compared with a modern spa; it's a 75+ year old former bath house/retreat that remains authentic to its roots & throws you into yesteryear.
I found the front desk to be polite & professional. We were taken through the large hallway & shown the men's/women's steam rooms, locker rooms and tranquility room. It does have an institutional feel to it but this is what is was back in the day so I relished the great history lesson! I found everything to be clean (like a well maintained hospital). After changing into freshly laundered spa robes & clean spa slides, we waited in the very relaxing tranquility room where there are several lounge chairs & plenty of refreshments & fruit. We were escorted by our therapist to our individual mineral bath rooms & on the way, she explained that the oxidation of the mineral water causes the brownish color, & separately, that many experience a 'lithium-like high' during/after the 40 minute bath. She also said she would knock on the door & bring a warm towel after that time (which she did)...so I felt open to the experience but adventurous as well since this was unchartered territory for me. It was incredibly relaxing & I did feel somewhat euphoric. We decided to go back to the tranquility room to prolong our relaxation & felt comfortable hanging out there for a while. We only did the mineral baths ($35-$40 per) so I can only comment on that service but I loved every moment there!

3 Thank TriciaVis
Bend, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fun once but not coming back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I dropped in for a bath in the famous 'spring water' before we moved back west (temporary project assignment out here) and are glad we did. The water looked nasty as expected, but in a tub it's just more bothersome than out in a natural spring, not sure why... the atmosphere was historic, the bubbles/minerals did feel nice before & after, and overall it was quite relaxing. That said, it wasn't anything so great we feel the need to come back. Price was reasonable and if you're in the area and need to unwind I do recommend it. Wish they allowed couples to bathe together, the tubs are big enough.

1 Thank davedigerati
Amherst, Massachusetts
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Relaxing on a Weekday, But Not Over-the-Top”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My mate and I recently enjoyed two mineral baths and deep tissue massages over three days, and it was a very relaxing experience. If you are considering this spa and want to avoid the crowds and noise, reserve a time during the week and avoid weekends and holidays. According to the staff, this mineral bath is the only one in the area that does not smell of sulfur. The place was clean and the staff friendly and professional. We were pleased with the whole experience for what it was, If you are a spa junkie, there are better places.