“Needs Some Attention”

Residence Inn Saratoga Springs
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Overall, I would say that this is a very pleasant hotel, which needs some minor tweaking.

The service is interesting because although always helpful and ready to attend to guest needs, it appears that there are only several people doing multiple jobs. Also the hotel is in need of attention mainly new carpets, newer furniture and more attention to detail. As an example, the couch in our room was way past it;s prime, coffee pot and dishes were stained enough to need replacement and the hotel had a general feel of mustiness, dampness to it. I also never understand the slightly odd blankets/coverings for the beds.

This being said, we never lacked for help when we asked for it, breakfast was fine, although I wish Marriott would upgrade from those cardboardy eggs they always put out in the morning.

My advice would be to pay more attention to quality of product, keep specific jobs specific, like housekeeping, maintenance, front desk etc and pay closer attention to detail and the property would be well served.

2  Thank Risk12
Saratoga_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to offer a detailed review of our hotel. It’s great to hear our staff was helpful and courteous. We will, in fact, be making some upgrades to our property and rooms throughout 2013 which will address a number of your concerns. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly the hotel. We look forward to seeing you back in Saratoga soon!

Bob Herrold

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We have stayed at the Residence Inn in Saratoga Springs 3 times in the past 5 years. Most recently, we escaped from a week-long power outage caused by Hurricane Sandy for a one night reprieve. The staff was wonderful in every possible way. They not only made us feel comfortable in the hotel, they assisted us in getting supplies to bring back home (since we knew our power would not be restored upon our return), when local stores were sold out (batteries, gasoline cans, etc).
The one bedroom suite was perfect for my husband and me, along with our two teenage sons. The bed and sofa bed were very comfortable, but if the hotel ever redecorates, they should purchase larger beds and a queen instead of a double sofabed.
Breakfast was wonderful, both hot and cold foods, along with fresh fruit. Coffee and tea are available any time in a living room setting with TV and fireplace.
There is a nice sized indoor pool alongside a whirlpool, and an adequate exercise room. The location is perfect, right on rt. 50 with all of the big box stores, yet less than a 10 minute ride from downtown Saratoga. The hotel also has plenty of free parking.
Overall, the Residence Inn is just like being at home, but with housekeeping service, a breakfast chef and a gym and pool right downstairs. On second thought, maybe it really is better than home!

Room Tip: 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suites are also available and they are HUGE!
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We enjoyed seeing Saratoga Springs, NY and thought the hotel staff were exceptionally friendly. The hotel is located just off the highway and is close the local attractions. Saratoga Springs has some nice restaurants, parks and shops. I enjoyed the stay and recommend it as a nice weekend getaway.

Room Tip: We love Residence Inns for the nice large suites and good breakfast
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Our family stayed here on a visit to Skidmore. The 2 bedroom suite with kitchen was very comfortable for a family of 5 plus our pet. The included breakfast buffet was in a cozy room with stone fireplace. The first floor location made it easy to take our lab for easy, quiet walks beyond the parking lot. This location is a 5 minute drive from downtown Saratoga Springs and a large shopping district in Wilton. (Only complaint: kids wished there was hot chocolate offered at bkfst.)

Room Tip: Main level is easy for visitors with pets.
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I spend over 100 nights a year on the road. This was a vacation trip with lovely spouse. We used some points I had accumulated as a Platinum with Marriott.
This property is an exceptional Residence Inn. The staff was excellant. They accomidated every request with smiles. The staff members even greet you in the hall ways, which is lacking in most Ritz Carltons. The free food was excellent and then some, the food staff would fit well into high end restaurants.
Stay at this property when in the area.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Just to clarify; the previous review comes with what seems to be an apparent bias. The person who made this review obviously was actively seeking problems, faults and even mentioning absurd "problems" that are beyond control of any management...i.e.: People walking around above them.

Our stay at this location was certainly a positive and uplifting experience as my husband and I have travelled to Saratoga for business. Having booked an extended stay, we received nothing but the best service possible from all staff and management. Jonathan (the manager) was wonderful to us, helpful and considerate. Jonathan made us feel like we were at home, and took the time to talk to us to help us find our way around.

The servers at breakfast were extremely professional, kind and personable. Even the custodial/housekeeping staff offered their assistance when needed.

The rooms were spotless clean and very comfortable, and we are certainly grateful for the opportunity to stay at such a lovely hotel. We WILL be back again!

-Cherie and Dave

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Our office has stayed at this hotel before and had issues, but after this stay, it is definitely the final stay. We had multiple reservations, some were "upgraded" some were not. We were treated very rudely by the manager when he was asked about why someone was and others were not upgraded. We just kept being told that the hotel was sold out - which was not an answer to the question. Staff was very cavalier about everything. After I got to my room, I had a blinking light to call the front desk; called six times and received no answer. Phone rang and rang and then would click off. The bill was incorrect in the morning, so I had to go to the front desk to get it settled. Staff again was very off-hand and took a long time to correct the bill (something which had happened at this hotel before as well). The room I stayed in looked as if someone had run in and quickly thrown things around; kitchen cabinet left open with the trash can thrown in sideways; extra bedding thrown into the closet half on the shelf and half off so it fell when you opened the closet all the way. The room also had a faint "nursing home" smell that was very unpleasant. Again, an attempted call to the front desk was unanswered. Also had someone above me who stomped around upstairs until about 1 a.m. I'm sure they aren't really giants - just very thin floors/ceilings. After getting the bill fixed in the morning, I went back to my room and loaded my car. Attempted to call the front desk to tell them I was checking out-no answer. Called several times from the meeting I went to just to let them know the room was empty. Still no answer. The attitude I get from this hotel is "we really don't care if you stay here or not" so we no longer will. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: My tip is don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bcandctrips12
Saratoga_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

I’m sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay. Mistakes do unfortunately happen, but there is no excuse for a “don’t care attitude,” as you put it. Many of the points you raised are absolutely not acceptable by our standards. However, I would like to clarify on some of your concerns: As I recall, your arrival date was changed at the last minute. When we were informed that you would be arriving a day later, we did everything we could to accommodate your preferred room type. As you noted, we were completely sold out and therefore simply unable to offer an upgrade. As for the bill, I believe we just needed you to sign our tax exempt forms, and we gladly would have updated the bill accordingly.

Again, I apologize. I would like to discuss these matters personally with you so we can figure exactly what went wrong, how we can fix them, and how we can avoid them in the future. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel. I look forward to your response.

Bob Herrold, General Manager