“Current renovation is the least of the problems.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Residence Inn Saratoga Springs
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Newport, Rhode Island
“Current renovation is the least of the problems.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Having had a very pleasant experience with this hotel last fall, we decided to stay again despite an advertised renovation of the gatehouse area. While the front office staff was friendly and helpful, we were disappointed to see a desk chair in our room with an arm that looked like it had been chewed away by a dog. We were also surprised to see an empty water bottle under the bed, which, like the sofa bed, were uncomfortable by Marriott standards. A large wad of dust in the bathroom fan, the ability to see through the bathroom door frame, and the random responding heating and cooling system were also new to us this time. We were especially disappointed when the system fan came on and we smelled what seemed to be drywall dust, which was no surprise as the front desk area, gatehouse, and path to the pool were all under renovation with new sheetrock. The water fountains near the pool were covered with sheetrock dust, as well. The pool itself was cold, and the hot tub looked fine until you turned it on and were awash in white foam, a sure sign of lousy maintenance.
What disappointed us the most this time, however, were the evening manager's receptions. The first night we were served chicken which was tasteless and poorly prepared, along with what seemed to be frozen pizza bites, macaroni salad, and tapioca. When the chicken ran out shortly into the reception, the server noted that we were only supposed to be getting wine and cheese, that there were a few pieces left to be served, and then it would be gone. The tone here was anything but gracious. The next night, "barbeque night", included, amazingly, the same chicken, macaroni salad, and tapioca. No hamburgers or hot dogs in sight,
although large greasy sausages were available. If this wasn't
in such stark contrast to our previous stay at the same hotel, we probably wouldn't have had such a response, but the contrast was hard to miss. I think we'll wait for the new Clifton Park Residence Inn to open, because we're quite done with this one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank PontoosucPete
Saratoga_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our property. I’m sorry to see that you were not satisfied with your stay. The housekeeping issues you’ve described are certainly not up to our standards, and I will personally make sure to follow up with the appropriate staff members to correct these issues. We will also take a closer look and reconsider our rotating menu as we go forward; I apologize if you were not satisfied with our offerings. I hope you will consider giving us another chance the next time you are in Saratoga. We would love to have you back so we can make it up to you. Please feel free to call me at the hotel if you have any further concerns.

Bob Herrold, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We came up to Saratoga Springs for the Tour of Battenkill race and stayed at the Residence Inn. It was a nice hotel, the front lobby area seemed to be going through renovations which is totally fine. It didn't bother the check in process. We stayed in a suite on the 4th floor and the room was accounted for nicely. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen and living room. There were 5 of us total and we were able to fit all of our items and three bikes. The breakfast was complimentary and had a good selection. The seating wasn't so plentiful but that may because of the renovations.

One suggestion is the staff brush up on possible dinner place suggestions. They only told us about the Olde Bryan Inn - which was great but it also may be the only game in town. I am sure with the races throughout the spring/summer there are many more options of restaurants so it would be nice if the staff had a variation of options for us.

Great place to stay otherwise - very clean. Oh one more thing - the pillows totally suck! They are all super super squishy - a few firm ones thrown in the mix would be nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Let me first say that I am a current Marriott Platinum Member, and I spend an average of over 250 days a year in Residence Inn's and I've always been pretty happy making these extended stay Marriott's my home away from home. This RI in particular is one that I will never stay in again, and warn all of my fellow travelers about.

The workers at the front desk have no business working in any type of customer service. If you asked them for anything or even offered them a friendly hello in passing, a rude glare was about all you would get in return.
Even the General Manager was a complete... donkey, and should really consider a job in anything other than customer service.
I stayed with them for about a week, and when I asked to extend my stay for an extra 2 nights, I was told that the hotel was sold out to phone reservations and had to pack my things and go. I ended up getting to stay by checking with the front desk every couple hours for cancellations, and was able to get. I couldn't believe that they or any hotel for that matter would kick a currently checked in and paying/staying guest (even a PLATINUM MEMBER mind you) to the curb in hopes of their phone reservations actually checking in. (The reason: it was racing season and they were hoping to make more money off the room)

Pros: Slightly nicer than your average RI room.
Cons: HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Normal dinner consisted of "food" including party pizza rolls, and mini hot dogs. Basically anything from the freezer section that a 4 year old would beg for.

My suggestion, don't stay here. You're much better off to go stay a few miles south at the Marriott Fairfield Inn in Malta, or my personal favorite, the Residence Inn in Albany. (The cheaper room rates, larger rooms, great staff, dinners, etc etc all make up for the short extra drive you would have if you need to be doing anything in Saratoga Springs) Plus, it's really close to the Albany Airport.

Room Tip: Don't say here! Do yourself a huge favor and Stay at the Marriott Fairfield Inn in Malta, or the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tparnell8
Saratoga_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for the review of your time with us. I'm sorry to see that you were disappointed during your stay. The issues you've described are certainly not up to our standards. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further so we can pinpoint exactly what happened. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you.

Bob Herrold, General Manager
Penfield, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I was stopping at about a halfway point between my daughter's college town and home as I just couldn't do the round trip in one day. Found this hotel and got a discount price through another website. It was very easy to find from I-87. The decor was nice, easy to navigate to get places within the hotel, plentiful parking near convenient outside doors. My room was very conveniently laid out, large and clean (it was a queen suite with one bed). Breakfast was great - very well laid out, good food, convenient hours. The biggest complaint was the bed - I felt like I was sleeping on a plywood platform with a little bit of padding on it. As it was just an overnight visit, the discounted price was worth it but I sure wouldn't want to sleep on such a bed for a longer stay!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Stayed here several times & we always choose this place anytime we want to take a trip to Saratoga. It's an all-suite hotel about 5 minutes drive from Downtown Saratoga. The room we had was a two-Bedroom two-bathroom suite. Upon entering the room, you can see the great setup; from the fully-equipped kitchen to the living room. Everything was very clean and the staff was great! Beds are also very comfortable. Great free breakfast in the morning (we took this back to our room).

My tip--even tho check-in is at 3:00, if you happen to be in the area earlier, try to check in anyway; they may have rooms available which is what we did. Overall great hotel in a nice location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

First of all, this is a pet-friendly chain...so there were no strange looks when we brought our 7 month old Rottweiler with us. There is a $75 charge but they do provide lots of area to walk the pet and even provide poop bags (unfortunately, many people don't use them...another reason for the charge). Three adults and one dog were very comfortable in the one-bedroom suite. The full size kitchen came in very handy and we didn't have to go to a lot of restaurants. They seemed to be only half full when we were there (mid January) and there wasn't cleaning staff available all day (especially on the weekend) but the front desk was very helpful and gave us the clean towels and extra dishwashing cleaner we asked for. The hotel is very easy to find and right off the I87. We didn't need the hot breakfasts and evening snacks but it was nice to know that they were available if/when we wanted them. We asked for a "quiet room" and received one on the back of the hotel away from the adjacent highway...we didn't hear a thing, even our next door neighbors!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back on the hotel are very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Maspeth, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I must tell you about our wonderful stay (2nd time) at the Residence Inn in Saratoga Springs. The staff is very accommodating and friendly upon arrival and with any needs or concerns. Our room was immaculate and very well appointed. The hot buffet breakfast is amazing, delicious and contains many items to choose from. It is wonderful to be able to wake up and come down for a hot breakfast, great coffee and smiling faces! We felt so comfortable BOTH times we stayed (11/12 and 1/13) that we didn't want to leave! If my fiance' didn't have to go to work today, we would've requested another night's stay! Thank you, Residence Inn, for making us feel like we were at our "home away from home"! :)

Room Tip: This stay, we had a first floor room, but unfortunately there was a lot of noise from the room above...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family