“nothing special”

Residence Inn Saratoga Springs
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We were driving out east and were staying at 6 hotels in 9 nights. This happened to be are second hotel. My wife chose this one for room space and free breakfast. Both of those turned out to be pretty good. This place was not bad it just did not do anything for me. Here were a few reasons why. The biggest reason was it was to far from the town I love to walk to things. The other reason was the pool was always crowded. I felt like people actually lived here kind of like monthly or yearly. This seemed more like an apartment complex than a Marriott and for that reason we checked out a day earlier and went to a great hotel in town. One last thing my kids and I enjoyed the basketball and tennis court.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 June 2013

The staff at the Residence Inn went out of their way to make us feel welcome and we truly enjoyed our stay here. I would say that the level of service and friendliness of the staff were above the norm for other Residence Inns we have stayed with. Another nice thing about this hotel was the proximity to nice walking and biking trails and the location on a quiet residential street. Even though the hotel was right off a major highway, it was tucked away and we never heard road noise in our room. We were surprised when we arrived to learn we had been given a free upgrade from a one-bedroom suite to a two-bedroom suite, which was a nice bonus. The rooms were spotless, the breakfasts were always hot and delicious. Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room on the side facing away from the highway because it may be noisy on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I should have known this was going to go wrong when I checked in and the rate on their forms differed by $40 in their favor for the second night. After showing my Marriott.com reservation copy to the front desk manager they adjusted the charges. Then, there was the barking small dog somewhere near us for the entire stay. Fortunately we carry a sound dampening machine so we were able to drown it out. The morning of checkout while I was packing the car I was walking near the exit door when a small dog came bounding down the staircase next to the door, barking loudly and proceeded to attack my leg. Just as the dog was about to bite, the owner I assume (a teenage girl) gave the dog a command and to the credit of the dog, it immediately sat. The momentary terror I felt of being charged by a barking, snarling dog subsided. She apologized and we both went about our business. Then, a short while later about 8:30 (check out is noon) there was a knock at the door and some woman with a hotel name tag on demanded to know when we were leaving. My husband told her in a while and she insisted that she know because she needed to "set the schedule." My husband told her within and hour or so and told her he wasn't exactly happy with his stay. When he told her about the dogs and suggested that the dogs go she got angry, walked off and said, "We can't do that." When I did check out I spoke to the front desk manager who immediately called out the general manager. He did tell me that the people with the dog that charged me would lose their $75 dog deposit because the dog was not on a leash as required by hotel policy. I also explained about the barking dog nearby also. I suggested that they might want to rethink their dog policy. He said that it is a chain wide policy now but the owners must control their dogs. He did finally apologize and I left. The problem is that the hotel makes $75 over the dog not on a leash. The customer in this case was the one victimized, not the hotel. It would have been nice for him to have offered to knock $25-50 off the bill. Considering we paid $229 for the first night and $189 for the second night and this Residence Inn is nothing special, it wouldn't have killed him and I would have felt much better. I am not one to ask for bill credit because of an issue, but when the hotel benefits from the problems of a guest, I do have an issue. Also, I am a dog lover and don't have any issues with well-behaved dogs or well-behaved owners.

Room Tip: Ground floor is good
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onlyleigh
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed in the penthouse suite...let me preface this review with this: I have stayed at most of the name brand hotel suites around Saratoga and it is very difficult to find a high quality large suite at any of the hotels. Most of them are just standard suites. Many years ago the Sheraton in downtown had an outstanding, large presidential suite, but the Hilton took them over and that room is gone. You would think with the amount of money that comes to Saratoga there would be amazing suites in this town. Probably because the money only shows up during race season and the town is sleepy the rest of the year. NOT ONE large suite exists. With the exception of the Residence Inn penthouse, it is the only "high quality" penthouse suite in town. The reviews are correct, it is not right downtown, it is set back in what looks like someday could grow to become a little condo/hotel/commercial area. But for now all that is there is this hotel and a condo building. I liked that it was off the main strip. Highway 50 & I-87 are adjacent to the property and the penthouse suite faces highway 50. The noise did not bother me. Highway noise generally does bother me, this did not. If my room had faced I-87 (the interstate) I imagine the noise would have been a lot worse. What was a little annoying was the penthouse was directly above the basketball court so I could hear the ball bouncing continuously and children's voices "playing". I was surprised that various guest were playing over the course of several hours. The breakfast was average. The staff was nice overall. The front desk girl was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, modern and nicely decorated. It has a full kitchen, dining room and nicely appointed living room with fireplace The bathroom was large and spacious and handicap accessible. I have included pictures of the room (I noticed there were no pictures of the penthouse suite when I looked at the reviews last week before booking here).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This property is at the end of long lane with no connections. Typically you'll approach if from the freeway but will have to drive a fair way past it, take a left to a connecting road then ride up the lane.

The property itself is fairly well maintained, it is a little way out from downtown but has good access to a number of chain restaurants and big box stores.

The rates here seem a little high, especially compared to more upscale properties closer to downtown. I'm guessing there is fair demand or they would lower their rates.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Having had a very pleasant experience with this hotel last fall, we decided to stay again despite an advertised renovation of the gatehouse area. While the front office staff was friendly and helpful, we were disappointed to see a desk chair in our room with an arm that looked like it had been chewed away by a dog. We were also surprised to see an empty water bottle under the bed, which, like the sofa bed, were uncomfortable by Marriott standards. A large wad of dust in the bathroom fan, the ability to see through the bathroom door frame, and the random responding heating and cooling system were also new to us this time. We were especially disappointed when the system fan came on and we smelled what seemed to be drywall dust, which was no surprise as the front desk area, gatehouse, and path to the pool were all under renovation with new sheetrock. The water fountains near the pool were covered with sheetrock dust, as well. The pool itself was cold, and the hot tub looked fine until you turned it on and were awash in white foam, a sure sign of lousy maintenance.
What disappointed us the most this time, however, were the evening manager's receptions. The first night we were served chicken which was tasteless and poorly prepared, along with what seemed to be frozen pizza bites, macaroni salad, and tapioca. When the chicken ran out shortly into the reception, the server noted that we were only supposed to be getting wine and cheese, that there were a few pieces left to be served, and then it would be gone. The tone here was anything but gracious. The next night, "barbeque night", included, amazingly, the same chicken, macaroni salad, and tapioca. No hamburgers or hot dogs in sight,
although large greasy sausages were available. If this wasn't
in such stark contrast to our previous stay at the same hotel, we probably wouldn't have had such a response, but the contrast was hard to miss. I think we'll wait for the new Clifton Park Residence Inn to open, because we're quite done with this one.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PontoosucPete
Saratoga_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our property. I’m sorry to see that you were not satisfied with your stay. The housekeeping issues you’ve described are certainly not up to our standards, and I will personally make sure to follow up with the appropriate staff members to correct these issues. We will also take a closer look and reconsider our rotating menu as we go forward; I apologize if you were not satisfied with our offerings. I hope you will consider giving us another chance the next time you are in Saratoga. We would love to have you back so we can make it up to you. Please feel free to call me at the hotel if you have any further concerns.

Bob Herrold, General Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We came up to Saratoga Springs for the Tour of Battenkill race and stayed at the Residence Inn. It was a nice hotel, the front lobby area seemed to be going through renovations which is totally fine. It didn't bother the check in process. We stayed in a suite on the 4th floor and the room was accounted for nicely. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen and living room. There were 5 of us total and we were able to fit all of our items and three bikes. The breakfast was complimentary and had a good selection. The seating wasn't so plentiful but that may because of the renovations.

One suggestion is the staff brush up on possible dinner place suggestions. They only told us about the Olde Bryan Inn - which was great but it also may be the only game in town. I am sure with the races throughout the spring/summer there are many more options of restaurants so it would be nice if the staff had a variation of options for us.

Great place to stay otherwise - very clean. Oh one more thing - the pillows totally suck! They are all super super squishy - a few firm ones thrown in the mix would be nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends