Union Gables Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Very Good 4/5
Pavilion Grand Hotel(Saratoga Springs)
  • Restaurant
The Adelphi Hotel(Saratoga Springs)
  • Breakfast included
Turf & Spa Motel(Saratoga Springs)
Good 3.5/5
The Inn at Saratoga(Saratoga Springs)
Great 4.5/5
Saratoga Downtowner Motel(Saratoga Springs)
Stay Saratoga(Saratoga Springs)
Excellent 5/5
St. Francis Motel(Saratoga Springs)
Very Good 4/5
    All reviewsthe main housecookiesb blibrary roomemerald roomfront porchcontinental spreadcarriage househeated poolbreakfast was deliciousvictorian mansionmade to order breakfastbed and breakfastfrench toastother guestswrap around porchgas fireplace
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 12 August 2012

Normally, the idea of a B&B is one that intrigues me but also makes me hesitant to stay, since it often feels like I'm intruding upon someone else's home. But, that is NOT something to "worry" about with Union Gables.

Our room was lovely -- it was the Bruce room, which has a great Adirondack feel. And, Union Gables allows dogs, so it was nice to have enough space in the large room for my well-behaved Cairn to enjoy a weekend with us!

The staff at UG is accommodating, welcoming and willing to go above and beyond to ensure your comfort. The breakfasts were full of variety -- eggs, bagels, fresh fruit, cereal and coffee/OJ/milk.

The details of the B&B are Victorian, yet comfortable. The historic beauty of the house is preserved by the owners/staff and the gardens are delightful and beautiful. The location is great for a nice walk and/or short drive to the attractions/restaurants on Broadway and beyond.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the autumn and it was the perfect time to enjoy the crisp fall air, leaves and fresh air. I would highly recommend staying here if you ever find yourself wanting to get away, but not go too far!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 2 August 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay. I don't usually stay at B&B's because I feel like I'm imposing in someone's home, but that issue was mute since myself & 2 friends stayed in a 3 bedroom/3bath cottage on the property. This was very comfortable & only steps away from the main house, a restored grand Victorian treasure.
    Care has evidently been lavished on this property as evidenced by the lush, magnificent landscaping. The location was perfect, ~ a mile to midtown & only 3-4 blocks to the racetrack, no need to drive anywhere unless you choose to. Cook to order as well as continental breakfast available, as well as wine & beer throughout the day. Hosts / owners were very friendly without being obtrusive.

Room Tip: Of the 3 bedrooms in the cottage, only the main bedroom is suitable for a couple ( large room, bath & double shower ). The other 2 bedrooms ( Lucy & Madeliene ) are smal & only suitable for singles or children.
    • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 23 July 2012

This place is the most beautiful grounds in the area. The main guys running it are very knowledgeable but some of the help was not. Most comfortable bed and warm cookies in the evening. No "made to order breakfast" on weekends. They could upgrade the coffee. Ask about the rooms for longer stays they are not shown online. I would stay again gladly and in2013 they will have a pool.

• Stayed: August 2011
    Reviewed 9 July 2012

We rented out the entire mansion for our wedding party and our families for the weekend. Everyone had nothing but great comments about the mansion and about the service. The location is great as well! We would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
    1  Thank kacie k
    Reviewed 2 July 2012

My wife and I used Union Gables as a base to visit my relatives in Albany. It was a great choice. We were able to walk to a great italian restaurant for dinner (Capriccio's), Congress Park, and up to other restaurants and shops on Broadway. The service from Barbara was outstanding and Tom has done an amazing job on the gardens and the surroundings. The only drawback I had was that I like near total silence when sitting on a porch but this is a personal preference. I'm not into people-watching that much. During horse season the front porch would be a great people-watching spot.

We stayed on the 3rd floor in the Jody Room and it was well-appointed, and the bed comfortable (my wife is particularly sensitive about beds so she rated it very good). The Jody Room faces the east side of the house and overlooks the gardens which I found the quietest and the best view. The food was great (we had breakfast-to-order 3 out of 4 days), and the access to and from the interstate was less than 3 minutes. Be aware of the SPAC schedule if you are going to travel outside of town to Albany. The Beach Boys were playing the weekend we stayed and it completely clogged the Northway up before and after the concert.

We will definitely plan another stay. I will move down to the 2nd floor to the Kate Room which is directly below the Jody and a better appointed.

I highly recommend taking the train from Penn Station to Saratoga Springs, having Enterprise meet you at the station with a rental car, and then taking the train out to Albany or NYC when you leave. The train trip up the Hudson was gorgeous... About 4 hours from Penn to Saratoga.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east side of the hotel facing the side yard gardens seem to be the quietest with the best views. (The Jody on 3 and the Kate on 2)
    • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple