“Wonderful hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

The hotel was lovely. It was very clean, nice linens, and the staff was very attentive and knowledgeable.

I'll never stay anywhere else in Saratoga again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CWW582

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
New York
Reviewed 5 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Gideon Putnam on our return trip from Quebec City. We were going to stay with friends in Vermont but, a snow storm was forecast for that area so, we decided to drive to Saratoga Springs. I called the hotels and chains in that area to check prices. The Gideon Putnam had the best rates. I had been to this hotel years ago for business and decided to try it again.We were really glad that we chose this hotel and stayed 2 night because of the storm.
The staff was excellent. They were very friendly and helpful.
The room and the bathroom were really nice, clean, roomy, comfortable and decorated in a traditional style with a modern flair. The grounds were beautiful.
There was free internet service near the lobby.
We would return to and recommend the Gideon Putnam Hotel

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Manorville, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Went to the hotel in the snowstorm, on our anniversary thinking paying a lot of money to stay at the hotel, we would get everything for our money. This was not the case. Girl at the front desk had us checking in with someone else name, they also did have breakfast included, in the upgrade like they said,
We up graded the hotel room, thinking we pay more money to get better hotel room, this was not the case. They would not move us to different hotel room that was nicer or bigger. There was noise coming from the radiator all night long that kept us all night long. The bathroom shower pressure stinks. We woke up one morning to find cigarette smoke in the halls ways. We complained to the front desk they did nothing.
The hotel calls itself 4 star resorts maybe 1 star, they have stain marks on the carpets, I dont think 4 star hotel would have stain marks, over priced in the off season, you can stay at any chain hotel, or longfellows in the area and get better service and price. The rooms very small for what they charge. Management would not refund any money back to us. They said we should have walked out of hotel, in snowstorm- what a joke. The only good thing about this hotel was the spa, park. and the beds.

• Stayed January 2011
Rumford, Maine
Reviewed 19 November 2010

While attending a conference at the resort, I experienced a number of problems that literally caused me chest pains. Even thinking of them now is having an affect on my health.

I arrived in the late morning, having to be at a conference session at 1pm. I attempted to check in, but was told that I could not use my bank issued debit card with a Visa logo. I asked where the ATM was, and was informed that there was none on property. i would have to go to town to find an ATM. I accepted this, but was amazed that they denied a card with a visa logo. This, I could have brushed off without much stress.

That afternoon, we broke for dinner. We had 40 minutes to return, and the restaurant was only sparsely occupied. After 40 minutes, we inquired where our food was. We were told it was coming right out. We ended up having to take our food with us to the conference because of the slow service. It was my colleague's birthday and I had hoped to have a special desert served for her. Not only did we not get the desert, but when the food was brought out, there was nothing for her. She asked for her food, and was told that they had run out.
Always willing to give a second chance, I returned to the restaurant the second night. Having found the meat a bit undercooked the previous night, I asked for it to be cooked medium well this time. It came back burned. I sent it back, and the replacement was slightly less burned. I shamed the crew into providing a desert tray for our group due to the problems we had the previous night.

Then comes checkout-time. I went to the desk knowing that I had paid for everything, and there would be no charges on my bill. I was wrong. The meal we had the first night was charged to my room as was an additional $29.50. I argued the restaurant charge and was told that they would have to call the waitress to verified that I had paid. They said that I could leave if I left a credit card "just in case". I chose to remain there until the issue was resolved. They finally cleared up the restaurant charge, then notified me of the additional room charge. They claimed that the room rate increased since I checked in. I told them that I would not pay it, and they cleared the charge.

This is an old building and not a place for Honeymooners nor those who act like honeymooners. There are adjoining doors everywhere, and the slightest sound can be heard perfectly in the next room. If you do choose to visit, bring your own toilet paper, as their 100 grit roll can be harsh on soft skin.

The only thing I could find positive about my experience was that the motion sensor paper towel dispensers put out a nice length of towel to dry your hands.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2010

This old property needs a facelift. My room was shabby - carpet stained and torn, broken shelf in the bathroom, dripping showerhead, threadbare bed linens, cheap towels, ancient heating/ac unit, etc. This property has obviously had a long history, and may have been a top notch hotel in its day, but it doesn't even compare favorably with a nice Hampton Inn. I can't recommend this place.

1 Thank Erastus10
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights this week while attending a work related conference. My family (husband and 2 young children) came with me. On the plus side, this hotel is located in the State Park which was nice. The Automobile Museum was within walking distance. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and made us feel welcome. The toiletries were above average. Overall, I would rate this hotel as average. It is old, and in need of update. The hallways smelled musty. Everything, including our room, was very small. Our room had 2 double beds. My husband and I are both fairly small people, and we were not comfortable in the double bed - had to split up : ( Some of my colleagues said that their rooms had one double and one twin. The bathroom was also quite tiny, with a pedestal sink, a ceiling fan which was clogged with debris and not working, and a shower curtain with only 2 magnets that kept swinging in and touching me as I showered. Everything seemed to need a good coat of paint, and a good cleaning. When we arrived there was a (dirty?) child's sock on the desk chair, a bright red Kit Kat wrapper on the floor next to the bed, and a half eaten dessert in the small fridge. We were not impressed, but did not complain or let the staff know. My employer paid for the room. The beds were pretty uncomfortable, besides being small. There were a very limited number of electrical outlets in the room which made blow drying my hair, etc. pretty difficult. The hotel is also quite a distance from the town, and there is not much in the way of food within walking distance other than the hotel restaurant - Putnams which was average and overpriced. It cost me $20 for 2 slices of French toast with 5 blackberries, a cup of coffee, and a glass of juice. The server was very, very friendly and accommodating to the children. There is a nice, free shuttle that takes you from the hotel to town, restaurants, shopping, etc. and many of my co-workers used this to get to restaurants in the evening. We drove. The hotel room was also pretty hot, and our room was on the second floor, above the entrance. We had some issues with cigarette smokers outside. The smoke seemed to waft in through the heating/air ducts and was overwhelming inside our room. My husband went to the front desk and they did what they did to help including moving ash trays farther from the door and talking with the current smokers outside to move away. It did seem to improve after that. The conference facilities worked out well. This hotel is historic and has loads of potential. The friendly staff made up for a lot of the things that were lacking, but I am not sure if I would stay here again. I might look into some of the newer, "chain" places located right inside the town. I did not use the spa, but some co-workers did and they continue to rave about it.

pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Stayed at the Gideon this past Sunday for our anniversary weekend. We decided to do the spa package that included dinner and breakfast with a massage and bath at the Roosevelt fpr a great savings! The staff was awesome at the front desk the first rep took pictures of my husband and I by the fireplace and the second rep went into the gift shop for me to purchase a tshirt (was leaving before shop was going to open). Also with the package we received a deluxe room but automatically received an upgrade of a porch room which was really cool. Though they are very limited on what they can do with their hotel they still have been able to update all the important things customers want (like a comfy bed & bathroom). The food at Putnam's were very good even though there were a few things that they could have done better. All in all it was an awesome stay and can not wait to come back in the future!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple