“Excellent Every Time!”

The Gideon Putnam
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I've been staying at the Gideon Putnam regularly since last winter and it's excellent every time! I travel frequently and the service - from top to bottom - at the Gideon Putnam couldn't be better. The linens are lovely, the staff is wonderful, the lobby so inviting with the comfy leather sofas and the nice cozy fires! Combine this lovely hotel with beautiful Saratoga Springs and you just can't miss.

Room Tip: I find that all the rooms are nice but if you want a room that is more modern (it is a historic hote...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CWW582
Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Spent two nights in the lovely national park hotel great proximity to some great museums eXcellent walking area
The staff were attentive and efficient
Bryan in the cocktail bar was great fun and Julie the concierge helpful and very well informed

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank ouzolover21
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The grounds around the hotel are the real attraction here. Nestled In Saratoga Springs State Park, the hotel has beautiful grounds around it, including a performing arts center and golf course. The hotel itself is just okay - without its location, the hotel's prices are unreasonable. Our room was comfortable but with few amenities. The hotel staff were cordial but not overly friendly or accommodating. This hotel could be a jewel; instead it is a zirconia diamond in a magnificent 24 karat gold setting.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TigerDiner
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Gideon Putnam hosted my family and friends during my bridal shower and bachelorette weekend in July of 2011. It was a mixed bag. I will start with the "Pros".

The shower was held in the "Garden Room" and was arranged beautifully. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was enthusiastic and supportive. Throughout the weekend, the concierge consistently checked in with me whenever we were passing through the lobby and always remembered my name, which definitely earns points in my book! The hotel is beautiful, although it could use a bit better upkeep on the exterior.

The rooms are by no means luxurious but they are adequate, comfortable and charming. We stayed in the Parlour Suite the night of my bachelorette and it was definitely a substantial step up from the standard room I'd stayed in the previous night. I found both rooms to be low on their stock of toilet paper and tissues. (i.e. no backup rolls provided). The hotel grounds are magnificent and there's always something exciting going on in the lobby or at Putnam's restaurant. The Gideon Putnam is definitely a place to see and be seen in the summertime!

On to the cons: The elevators are painfully slow. The hotel was sold out the weekend we were there and we waited a good 10 minutes for our elevator along with many other hotel guests. If it weren't for my heavy luggage and gifts, I would have taken the stairs. However, I understand that you have to take the good with the bad in very old hotels like this. The beauty and rich history of the resort makes up for shortcomings such as this.

The weakest link in this hotel is the front desk staff. Several of my family members very clearly requested adjacent rooms for the ease of babysitters we'd hired for the weekend. Both parties called on multiple occasions to confirm this arrangement in advance, and were assured that the rooms would be reserved accordingly. Unfortunately, upon arrival my family discovered that not only were their rooms not next to each other, they were on separate floors. The front desk staff did nothing to accommodate this large mistake and did not accept responsibility for the inconvenience. Furthermore, these rooms were for families with infants and one of the rooms did not have a bathtub, but only a stand up shower. Very complicated for mothers of babies! We got the impression that the front desk staff was overwhelmed and inexperienced.

All in all, the weekend was such a success that these shortcomings did not have a significant effect on my experience, but I do feel bad that my family who traveled from 1000 miles away had to deal with such complications with the room arrangements.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The location of this hotel could not be better, its great to be able to have the park just outside and be able to walk out whenever you want. Unfortunately there is not much else to recommend it the service is almost non-existent. No one to open the door and greet you on arrival or assist with luggage. Our room was not serviced at all during our stay, when we asked the receptionist to send up some shower gel she did not even apologize for the lack of service to our room. Thankfully we had arranged to eat outside the property so we only ate breakfast at the hotel, the service in the restaurant was equally "lacking" no offer of a second cup of coffee or "would you like anything else?" before the check was presented. The room was fine but the bathroom was very small and there was not enough water pressure for anything like a decent shower, which amazed me given the location of the hotel. All in all I expected a lot more from this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dosaprincess
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This great looking hotel is in an amazing location - quiet, scenic and within walking distance of many activities.

Unfortunately - I guess due to the ongoing construction - there was so much dust in the room that I woke up each morning with such bad sinusitis that I thought I was getting a cold. One night, I left my laptop open on the desk and the next morning I could draw a visible line with my finger on the screen there was so much dust. I wish they could've been up-front about the construction since my wife & I both have dust allergies.

When we opened the window to try and get some fresh air, we disturbed a wasp's nest and a whole lot of wasps started trying to fly inside our room!

This hotel also seems to have a single, tiny elevator that services all 5 floors.

I've always maintained that one of the stars at a hotel is for a quality, high pressure shower. Our shower had such low pressure that it kept reverting back to bath mode.

Overall, we had a great time in SS and the hotel did little to detract from it. Service was good even though they were fully booked. But with a little effort they could be a decent hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This is an old (in every sens of the word) and historic hotel and spa and should be fabulous. It could be but needs work. No-one to greet us outside as we pulled up in front. No-one to valet the car. No offer to help with luggage. Minimal help at front desk and essentially no idenitifiable help out front. Construction ditches in front circle made it difficult. Only one sign from hotel to Spa/The Baths- we got lost and the front desk never offered the jitney to take us there. The room was NOT renovated and was dusty. the beds were very comfortable and clean but the furniture was not. The bathtub was old and stained and the towels are tiny and old. The Spa needs a major renovation and many more amenities. The Spa staff were "uneven" in their abilities- not consistent in treatments. The people were all nice and it wouldn't take much to improve on amenities and additional staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and look at it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends