The Gideon Putnam
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Excellent 5/5
Adirondack Inn(Saratoga Springs)
Very Good 4/5
Grand Union Motel(Saratoga Springs)
Good 3.5/5
Top Hill Motel(Saratoga Springs)
Average 3/5
The Springs Motel(Saratoga Springs)
Great 4.5/5
Saratoga Casino Hotel(Saratoga Springs)
Great 4.5/5
St. Francis Motel(Saratoga Springs)
    Stay Saratoga(Saratoga Springs)
    Excellent 5/5
    1,228 results
    All reviewsstate parkmineral bathroosevelt spaporch suiterelaxation roomhistoric hotelbeautiful groundswalking trailsold world charmshuttle servicefree shuttlein townoff seasongibsonbrunchbathsgp
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 19 June 2012

We had a wedding at this hotel and decided to stay on premises for convenience, although it is expensive. Other areas hotels were charging the same prices, so we thought convenience would win out. We were wrong! The wedding was at 6pm and we arrived (from PA) at 3:50 for a 4pm check-in to give us ample time to get ourselves and our 6-week-old ready (including naps). We were told the room wasn't ready, and despite my husband and I going back to the front desk twice to check on the status of the room, 45 minutes later it *still* wasn't ready. They knew we were there for the wedding and since our room wasn't ready offered an "upgrade" for an executive suite. I don't believe it was really a suite...there was a king bed and two chairs and a couch crammed into the room. It didn't look like any suite I have stayed in before, but we just wanted to get ready for the wedding (which I missed since we ended up not having enough time for all of us to get ready, so I opted to stay in the room and nurse our newborn and get him ready and join the reception after.).

In addition, the downstairs women's powder room was in atrocious condition with the soap dispenser hanging off the wall and the garbage can overflowing with paper towels (all over the floor).

For the prices, and for a late check-in/early check-out (4pm check-in/11am check-out)--not even 24 hours!--it is just not worth the price of the room, in my opinion. The customer service at this hotel is dismal.

I will never stay here again and would not recommend it when there is the Adelphi Hotel and quality hotels nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
    2  Thank ambrazee
    Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry your room wasn't ready on time. We will take your comments back to the team. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is instrumental for customer service excellence. We appreciate your comments. Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

This hotel had mixed reviews but we thought we would give it a chance because the price was very reasonable.I was pleased with the decision, though I don't know if I would be as satisfied if I paid on season top dollar. The hotel is historic, set on a golf course, and is just a few minutes from the town. The paint is peeling a bit outside, and the grounds aren't in pristine condition, but the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. I also recommend the spa- it's relaxing and the staff is great. There is a complimentary shuttle that will take you to the track/casino or downtown on call. It's a great service. The place was clean and the staff friendly. I would recommend it, as long as you are comfortable staying at an old place, which is part of the charm.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
    DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your comments in regards to the condition of our property. I will share this feedback with our team. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Went to Gideon Putnam for a wedding. Lovely site, great place for a wedding. Convenient hotel shuttle to race course, spa, down town. Very friendly staff. Awesome facial and mineral bath at Roosevelt Spa which is short walk away. N.B. spa is not physically at the hotel. Will definitely be back

• Stayed: June 2012
    2  Thank Zamy12
    DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations and the amenities our hotel has to offer as well as the surrounding area. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Six of us gathered to relax and catch up before our college reunion. Close friends from all over the US, we settled into the Gideon Putnam like a second home! The staff was wonderful and catered to our every need. The food was superb and the elegance from the turn of the century still evident. This is not a modern hotel but one with charm and ambiance. When we stayed (May), the rates were very reasonable. Great golf was within walking distance. We would return on a heartbeat! After all, we never got to the spa.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
    1  Thank Lynn A
    DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Gideon Putnam. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your compliments on the cuisine and our staff. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

The stay at this hotel has proven difficult to label as good or bad. There were aspects that clearly fell into each category. I will begin with the positives to ensure there is still a chance the readers continue reading.

The Gideon Putnam Resort is a 1930s establishment that exudes high society, carriages, and top hats. I love that. In addition to the character the resort possesses, the property it occupies is beautiful, the staff is friendly, and the bar/ restaurant was fantastic. If you are lucky enough to belly up to the bar when Travis is in duty you will no doubt have a great experience. The last positive I will mention is the air conditioning in my room- it actually kept the room cool. I can’t say that about everywhere I’ve stayed.

Now on to the unfortunately long list of less than desirable attributes of my business stay. The first bad impression was experienced the minute I opened the door to my room. It was the absolutely smallest room I ever stayed in. I didn’t measure it, but I am reasonably certain budget motel rooms are larger. This wasn’t a huge deal as I didn’t spend much time in my room, but it was so obviously small it couldn’t be ignored. The next “problem” was a shortage of receptacles near the bed. I use a CPAP machine to sleep and I travel with my unit. There were two receptacles near the bed and the lamp and alarm clock were plugged in. I had to use the spot the clock was plugged into for my CPAP machine, but this also meant I could not leave my smart phone (now my alarm clock) plugged in to charge.

After using the bathroom I discovered the toilet needed at least three to four flushes just to clear paper from the bowl. Nothing like hanging out in the bathroom flushing the toilet repeatedly! One of my pet peeves also surfaced in the bathroom- dusty vents. Although the bathroom vent was an exhaust vent and there was little risk of the dust blowing back into the room, this vent was caked with dust and lint (as sort of seen in the photo). My last room specific complaint is that I spent a lot of time killing bugs. There were two spider webs with spiders near the window and I killed at least a dozen and a half mosquitoes over the two nights I stayed. There must be a leak around the window or air conditioning unit.

Because I was there on business I must note the internet access was absolutely horrible. We had to ask the staff to look into the router during the meeting (they did fix it, but access was still sporadic) and the access in the room was hardly worth dealing with. For a business positive, the lunch and dinner provided during the event were delicious.

My overall impression of the resort, despite the shortcomings of my room, is that the building is “tired”, but I would stay there again (probably because of the history and atmosphere). The hotel is in need of refreshment, including a deep cleaning and a fresh coat of paint. I think the hotel has the people and management to make it happen based on my interactions with various people- they just need a plan to execute. If you have the opportunity to stay at this resort I think you will find the public spaces appealing, but you might want to check the room you will be staying prior to accepting it if possible.

My last comment in this review- I loved the combo bottle opener/ cork screw found on the back of the bathroom door!

Room Tip: Ask if you can see a room before accepting it.
    • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
    1  Thank 60HzMW

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Gideon Putnam. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the historic feel of the hotel. We are also happy to hear that our staff and cuisine exceeded your standards.

We are sorry to hear that our rooms were not to your standard. We are always in the process of painting, repairing and updating them to make a more comfortable stay for our guests. We will make sure that someone looks at the internet connection issues and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We hope you will consider staying with us again if you are ever in the area.