“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orient, New York, USA
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We loved our trip to Saratoga Springs and our stay at the Gideon Putnam. The hotel is in a great location on the grounds of the state park. It was beautiful and peaceful, and yet were close enough to everything that we could walk to many activities. The hotel is older and has charming character. The staff went out of their way to help us and make us feel welcome. I would definately choose this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our lovely location and many of the wonderful activities it has to offer. The historic aspect of our hotel is something we are very proud of, and we are appreciative of your kind remarks in regards to our building and our team at the Gideon Putnam. I hope to see you again soon for another great stay at our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Hotel is charming (a bit over priced)..but I would like to warn anyone going that the pool they adverstise - although a short walk away - is a public pool in the state park that is open to the general publc for a fee.

It's a gorgous pool, however you can't guarentee a chair unless you arrive when they first open or bring your own,

We learned the hard way and had to lay on concrete with our towels. There is no preference to guests of the Gidoen and the woman at the front desk of the hotel where pretty unhelpful. although the did give us extra towels.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your honest review. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay at the Gideon Putnam Hotel. We appreciate your comments, and I will be sure to bring them to our team immediately. We work for complete guest satisfaction, and we will use your comments to help improve. Again, I am sorry for the inconveniences you faced, but I hope you will return to the hotel in the future to see our improvements.
Granite Springs
Reviewed 7 August 2012

During July 2012, the Council of New York State Special Education Administrators (CNYSEA) held its 10 Annual Summer Institute at the Gideon Putnam Resort. This was our first experience in conducting a conference there and the Executive Board and conference participants were so pleased with the venue and the excellent staff that serviced our group that we booked the Gideon Putnam for next summer’s institute. This charming and beautiful resort is situated on the grounds of Saratoga Springs State Park so it provided a wonderful atmosphere for learning as well as relaxation.
From booking the event to the conclusion of our institute, the staff bent over backwards to accommodate our group. In fact the Sales Manager came in on Sunday on her day off to make sure that everything went smoothly for our group. The Conference Planner and Banquet Manger made excellent suggestions to us from arranging our registration and vendor tables to tailoring the setups in the conference rooms.
The banquet food was absolutely delicious. The chef has his own garden on the grounds of the resort and he is a strong believer in serving organic food. He was also very sensitive to those participants who had a gluten allergy so he made certain that his sauces were gluten free. Participants had the opportunity to sit outside on the patio for lunch as well as indoors. This was also another nice touch as the institute was jam packed with courses from early morning to late afternoon. Following the day’s events participants were able to enjoy the wonderful spas, museums, shops and restaurants in Saratoga Springs or relax at the hotel and have dinner in the restaurant.
The feedback from the evaluations about the Gideon was excellent. Ninety-nine percent of the participants rated the hotel and amenities “5 out of 5.” We would highly recommend the Gideon to anyone who wishes to spend quality time in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Gideon was suggested to us by someone who had stayed at the hotel in the past.

We found the hotel to be very charming, and its setting in the park is really just perfect for a peaceful get away.

Everyone we dealt with was beyond polite and helpful. That includes: the registration desk, the bell hops, the doormen, the room attendant (she interrupted what she was doing to make up our room while we went to brunch), the staff in the dining rooms (both at the Putman, and by the pool), the shuttle driver.

The attitude and attentiveness of everyone we dealt with created a very pleasant atmosphere, and made our stay very enjoyable. I'm sure we will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel’s scenic location, and that our service was satisfactory. It is our mission at the Gideon Putnam to meet the needs of every guest. We hope to see you again soon for another great stay at our hotel.
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We attended a wedding here and this was our first stay in the Saratoga Springs area. The resort is inside the State park so we had plenty of walking trails and beautiful scenery. The pool is spectacular and the hotel is very clean and well appointed. The staff is very friendly, professional and went out of their way to meet our needs. The king deluxe room was rather small so I would definitely reserve a suite in the future. Breakfast buffet is one of the best we have ever experienced and the bar atmosphere lively. We thought it would be a fabulous place for business conferences and the wedding/reception were outstanding!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for your honest review. Our team at the Gideon Putnam appreciates your positive comments regarding our service. We aim to meet the needs of every guest for one hundred percent satisfaction. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our scenic location and many of the wonderful services our hotel has to offer. Please come again soon for another great stay at the Gideon Putnam.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Staying at the Gideon Putnam Hotel was like a journey back to a better time. The service was impeccable, the room was spotless, and the old-fashioned charm of the place was unlike any hotel I've stayed at in a long time. The grounds were beautiful and I hope to be able to stay here again some time. (I was able to do so because you had a great wedding rate...I'd love to be able to afford to come back some day!) AND The valet/shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful, and able to pick us up wherever we needed it. This is an added bonus for staying here as opposed to other hotels in Saratoga.

If you are looking for more detail...
The whole feel of the hotel is classic and old-fashioned/charming. I liked it because of this, but don't expect your typical Holiday Inn style room/bathroom. Yes, the double-double room and bathroom were smaller than, say, your typical American hotel. I liked it better because it was unique, though.
Despite its age, the room was impeccable and very clean. I am VERY picky about hotel cleanliness, and I was completely happy with the state of the room and the housekeeping.
There are also great soaps, shampoos, etc., from the adjacent spa.
I took a walk around the grounds to get to a spa appointment and felt like I was on a retreat...they are quiet, well kept, and beautiful.
I found the shuttle to be reliable and in fact, the drivers to bend over backward for us. We were the only two early Saturday morning to want a ride to the racetrack and they gladly accommodated us (and our chairs and coolers) even though it was before the shuttle started running. We also took it into the downtown area on our way out to dinner and got recommendations for places to eat, things to do, and suggestions for cab companies in case we got home too late for the shuttle to pick us up (it stops at 11 pm). In fact, we called the shuttle after dinner and it picked us up promptly.
The reason I put three stars for value is that it is a bit expensive to stay (although all hotels in Saratoga are during racing season)...I lucked out and got the wedding rate (wedding was on the grounds and was absolutely fabulous....check out the Hall of Springs!!!). I'm hoping to get a deal somehow the next time I go to Saratoga so I can stay here again.

Room Tip: To explain my sleep quality rating, the room my boyfriend and I stayed in had two double beds that s...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to make these comments about our hotel. I am extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed our historic building and location. Our team at the Gideon Putnam strives for complete guest satisfaction, so it is wonderful to hear that all of your needs were taken care of. We hope to see you again for another enjoyable stay.
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Poorly managed hotel. Beautiful grounds and building but HORRIBLE customer service! And do not depend on the shuttle- it will keep you waiting for 2 hrs!!
Plus rooms are so small!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Hkrd20
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you very much for your honest review. We are happy that you enjoyed our beautiful location and historic building. I am sorry that you faced difficulties during your stay. Customer satisfaction is a top priority at the Gideon Putnam. I will bring your comments to our team immediately. Again I am sorry, and I hope to see you at Gideon Putnam again in the future.