“Always Nice”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Monroe, New York
“Always Nice”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Having stayed a number of times at the Gideon Putnam, I must say it is always a nice experience. The rooms are clean and furnished smartly and the rest of the hotel shows it's class and elegance of a bygone era. Meals are good and the bar area is warm and cozy. The best part of it is that the hotel is right in the middle of the park, with it wonderful grounds, river and mineral springs. Being next to the Saratoga Preforming Arts Center is a real bonus. And of course the Roosevelt Spa - massage and a mineral bath - is just great!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for your appreciation of our beautiful, historic hotel, for your continued patronage, and for taking the time to share your experience with others. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our daughter bought us a gift certificate package for a stay and we invited our friends to go with us. We go to Saratoga in the summer but had never stayed at the Gideon Putnam, rooms are quickly gone during the peak season. The hotel was as lovely as I expected- just charming. Our room was clean and spacious- what was not to like? Breakfast the next morning was delicious- a big thank you to our waitress Anna who went out of her way to help us with a special dietary request. The manager Bill was very gracious and welcoming and moving about to help ensure the crowd was taken care of (and there was a nice crowd when we were there. There is a small but well stocked gift shop- we purchased a few items and the salesgirl was very warm and friendly. We agreed that we would like to return again- maybe in the fall- the ground and paths looked lovely even with all the snow. Our only negative? Our package included a credit at the spa we could not use- when I called to make a reservation for a plain manicure or simple mineral bath I was told they were all booked up and there was nothing they could do. I spoke to the woman at the desk when we checked in and she did not seem to care at all- I felt a bit duped as I handed her back the spa credit coupon that she gave me when I checked in explaining there was no way I could use it. The coupon had a date for only our stay- I could not even use it to schedule something if we returned another time. That experience is why I can't give the service or property rating the excellent it would otherwise get or comment on the spa. Hint: There is a cute theater in the grounds- we saw an Agatha Christie play we loved- the cast was fantastic.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor in a deluxe room but all the rooms looked nice. Prices vary greatly by s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
We are so glad you found our staff to be gracious and friendly, and that you had a comfortable stay. I am sorry to hear you were not able to book a treatment at our Roosevelt Baths & Spa. The Spa is very popular and reservations are highly recommended in advance. If you stayed with us recently, the spa was fully committed from Valentine's Day through President's week. We hope you will try us again when you visit Saratoga in the Summer.
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here on Valentines Day. My husband surprised me with tickets to a show at The Spa Little Theater which is adjacent to the property, dinner reservations at the hotel and an overnight stay with breakfast the next morning. The staff was accommodating by allowing us to check in early which was nice. Our room was clean but extremely hot. I attempted to turn the radiator down ( yes old school radiator) but ended up turning the air conditioner on to cool the room down. Unfortunately our view was of the parking lot even though we gad an upgraded room. We had dinner at the restaurant which was okay. The service was not bad but not great. They had two different specials going on - one for Valentines day and another for people going to the show. My husband specifically asked before making the reservations if we could order off the regular menu and was told yes. When we were seated we were only given the show menu. We asked the hostess for the other menu and she gave us a hard time. Said she would gave to check with management. She finally brought us the regular menu but not the valentines day one. Ugh. I didn't think it would be so difficult to order more expensive food. After we finally decided what we were going to order our waiter came over and told us we couldn't order off that menu. Again explaining the events that took place we finally ordered our food. The meal was good and priced well. There was a bad storm the day of our arrival and walking to the show was not an option in heels. We had asked if there was a shuttle and were told it was walking distance. I asked again for a shuttle due to the slippery conditions and were told it would be an hour since it was downtown. Doesn't seem like that was very well thought out since many people at dinner were also going to the show. I am not sure if my expectations were too high but I have to say I was disappointed with the entire experience. The pictures on the website do not accurately portray the restaurant. We thought it was going to be much more upscale than it actually is. I wanted to love the facility but just liked it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel for nice views of the park
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am sorry for all the menu confusion with your meal - I see you were on a Valentine's package, but also attending a show at the Spa Little Theater, and we also had a ticket/meal package arranged with the theater. Our intent was certainly not to confuse or cause stress, but it sounds like that is exactly what happened. Also, the Gideon Putnam shuttle is one of our most popular amenities, available on a first come first-served basis. I'm sorry it was not available to you. I hope you enjoyed the show, and that we have another opportunity to better serve you in the future.
New york
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My fiance and I went to this hotel for weekend. Hotel was very clean and roomy. So we were happy upon check-in. The following morning we asked to be seated next to a beautiful window overlooking the beautiful grounds when the hostess told me we could only sit in middle of dining room away from window. I explained to her I was planning on eating outside hotel til I walked past the beautiful scene from window and only decided to eat in because of the view and how elegant the table was set up. Only until my fiance said could we speak to a manager did she roll her eyes sigh and lead us there. I was surprised at a resort hotel that this is how we were treated. But the end note was it was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had so it was worth the dirty looks.
Also, on a calender in my room was a calender of events. one being a show playing across the street. When I asked front desk about it she told me she had no idea what they were playing there. She wrote down a number for me on a sticky note and told me I can try and call myself. At that point box office was closed all weekend so I could not reach anybody. When I went in business ctr to use their computer to buy tickets to show it was not working. Again when I asked front desk how to get computer to work she told me I am only one here and have no idea how to use it. So we had to go off grounds where I had better service to use computer on my phone. I have never been to a hotel much less a resort hotel where the front desk chooses not to assist you what so ever. Also, I could not get a massage til 3 o'clock on a Sunday which was after check out. I do not know why they call this a resort when it is not.

1 Thank Scarletbuttafly
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so sorry for the unfriendly service you received from one of our front desk agents. The Gideon Putnam is a unique resort. We are located within the Saratoga Spa State Park, owned by the State of NY, managed by Delaware North Companies. There are museums, performing arts centers, etc. in the park... and we all help to promote each other, but each is independently operated. The transfer of information is not always seamless. But you are right - we should have known the answers. I apologize that the front desk agent (and the dining room host) were not more helpful. I have shared your comments with our management team. Thank you.

I am glad you found the Gideon Putnam to be clean and comfortable, and that you really enjoyed our breakfast buffet. If you travel this way again, I hope we will have the opportunity to better serve you.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is an elegant old-world hotel with reasonable room rates. It has a fabulous breakfast that comes with the room reservation. I had fresh orange juice and great waffles with fresh blackberries, strawberries and blueberries--served with real maple syrup. The dining room was lovely, with a hand-painted mural on all the walls. They also have nice spa services, though I didn't take advantage of them this trip. Drawbacks of this hotel: It's not right in town, so you can't just walk outside and window shop or walk to different restaurants/bars; the parking lot is a bit of a distance from the front door; I didn't see a bell hop, and no one opened the front door for me with my suitcases. Still, I would go back again.

Room Tip: It's quieter if you request a room that doesn't overlook the front of the hotel.
Green Features: They do allow you to leave your towel to be reused instead of washed, and the same with your bed linens, which I appreciated.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and that you would like to visit us again. I am sorry no one was at the door to greet you; we do have a bellman available the majority of the time. The fact that we are not located downtown is one of the many reasons people choose to stay at the Gideon Putnam. We are located within the Saratoga Spa State Park, along with the historic Roosevelt Baths & Spa, several mineral springs, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, the Spa Little Theater, Saratoga Automobile Museum, National Museum of Dance, Victoria Pool and Peerless Pool, 2 Golf Courses, plenty of hiking/biking trails, tennis, ice skating, etc.... All this, and only 5 minutes to downtown! Thank you again.
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I spent two nights last Thanksgiving weekend at this "find" of a resort! We wanted to treat ourselves to a relaxing getaway and partake of this fine hotel within a short 5-minute walk of the Roosevelt Spas and Bath House. It's a delightful walk through the woods on a clear pathway, past buildings yet to be restored, through arch-covered sidewalks and then onto the large lawns of the renovated Roosevelt Spa building. We had a fabulous time being pampered at the Spa, with mineral soaking baths, steam bath, massage, facial....the works! (I have included some photos) But what was especially nice was our lodging at the Gideon Putnam hotel.

It's an impressive, large brick building to drive up to, and quite unexpected in the beautiful woodland setting! Once inside, you are welcomed to a large, charming and well-appointed lobby, complete with two large fireplaces that were crackling and warm for us those November days. (see my photos) Reception is very professional and friendly. We actually spent quite a bit of time in the lobby, which is something that we don't usually do in a hotel. But this lobby was so inviting, and we turned the big stuffed chairs to face the fire, added some logs to the fire from the handy pile to the side of the fireplace, and snuggled in to read our books. Delightful!

Our room was very clean, neat, nicely decorated and roomy. Beds comfy. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but still, there was a place for everything and also very clean. We enjoyed the quiet that we found in the room too -- no noisy doors banging, no sounds coming through the walls.

There are many room packages to choose from, and we had purchased the room rate that included breakfast for two. OH! I have never seen a finer continental breakfast -- ever! There were hot chafing dishes that contained an assortment of waffles/pancakes, eggs, hash browns, bacon/sausage...and the fresh fruit was really fresh, not a commercial pre-made blend. Then toasts, danish, muffins, yogurts, etc. and there was plenty of comfortable seating for everyone. We checked out their Sunday Brunch, which was quite extravagant and lucious looking served in a beautiful large garden room (and a wee bit pricey too, as fancy brunches tend to be), but didn't stay for that.

It's also just a quick 5 minute drive to downtown Saratoga Springs, which is a great walking town. Just park and stroll. Great variety of shops and lots of restaurants to pick from, if you want to branch out and eat somewhere besides the hotel's dining room.

I understand that in the summertime there are bicycles to rent, and certainly, there are loads of lovely hiking (really walking) trails. I have included a photo of an expecially nice pathway through the trees. The surroundings are just lovely, and you'll feel quite away from everything in order to fully absorb this fine resort. We look forward to returning ourselves in the warmer weather sometime soon, but we will certainly cherish our special memories of sitting by warm fireplaces in the lobby!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for so beautifully summarizing the experiences available to our guests, of both the Gideon Putnam Resort and the Roosevelt Baths & Spa. "A world away, and yet so close to everything." Spring is only a month away, hopefully we will see you again soon!
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We are so happy that we have chosen to spend a 4 day vacation at Gideon Putnam. It is a charming historic hotel that has a lot to find out in the details. Our room is big and comfortable, and there's even window in the bathroom. Every staff we met are welcoming and helpful. Is was wonderful to have a soak at the Roosevelt SPA when there was a snow storm. The hotel staff worked so hard to clean out the roads and paths on the storm day.

1 Thank Wei H
Thank you for making the Gideon Putnam Resort, and the Roosevelt Baths & Spa your vacation destination. We are glad to hear you were comfortable and well taken care of. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!