The Gideon Putnam
The Saratoga Hilton(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$191
Hilton.com
  • Pool
Hilton Garden Inn Saratoga Springs(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$163
Saratoga Arms(Saratoga Springs)
US$302
US$270
Official Site
Comfort Inn & Suites(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$113
ComfortInn
Pavilion Grand Hotel(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$131
  • Restaurant
Roosevelt Inn & Suites(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$90
Official Hotel
Holiday Inn Saratoga Springs(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$191
Courtyard Saratoga Springs(Saratoga Springs)(Great Value!)
US$130
The Adelphi Hotel(Saratoga Springs)
US$197
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
1,228 results
All reviewsstate parkmineral bathroosevelt spaporch suiterelaxation roomhistoric hotelbeautiful groundswalking trailsold world charmshuttle servicefree shuttlein townoff seasongibsonbrunchbathsgp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have been staying at the Gideon Putnam for over 20 years. I have come to know its many good points and bad. I stayed in a porch suite the first night of my stay ,I was instructed by the reservationist on the second day of my stay to talk to the desk and see if the suite was available and to see if I could negotiate a rate if it was available for the next evening. I spoke to a women named Shawna who immediately took offense to the fact that I would try to negotiate a rate, she than quoted me the full rate for the room and said there was nothing she could do for me. Now I needed to change my room and when I suggested that I had seen a maid cleaning a room down the hall from my room , I was told that was not possible. So much for trying to accommodating the guest. Shawna having taken a personnel dislike to me now put me in the worst room the hotel had to offer. It is the only room in the hotel that overlooks a rooftop, and some kind of acrylic bubble. The air conditioner in the room sounded like a diesel engine. I poked me head in at the desk to say how much I disliked my new accommodations only to get a blank stare. I worked in the hospitality industry for many years. I have to wonder is Shawna making these decisions on her own or......does it COME FROM THE TOP DOWN. KAREN G.

Room Tip: Front of hotel has pretty view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Karen. I can appreciate that you were not happy with your second room, after beginning your stay in a Porch Suite, but I am disappointed to see that you would embarrass one of our employees in this way. Shawna continually goes above and beyond to make sure our guests are happy, and they absolutely love her. The fact that she would not discount one of our suites for opening weekend of the Saratoga Race Meet was nothing personal, but rather based on demand. I am sorry.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

You know, I read a lot of the reviews on this place, and I'm quite surprised by the amount of positive reviews on this place. Yes, the atmosphere, setting, and grounds are amazing. Saratoga is a beautiful place, but that withstanding, it doesn't make the hotel, or the experience of staying there a good one. The rooms in this place are incredibly small, dirty, and certainly nothing worth charging somebody $300-$400 a night for.

I mean, what are you paying for? The surroundings? There are MANY hotels in Saratoga that are right on the strip, and in the middle of the city near the track, SPAC, etc, and while they're not as "historic" as this place claims to be, the other hotels rooms are much bigger, modern, and cleaner than the rooms at Giedon. I mean, I wasn't expected a suite with a balcony and all the amenities, but I did a expect a room with clean sheets, clean linens, and a room that I could move around in. The television was in the corner of the room, on a dresser, but unless you stood in front of it you couldn't watch it since the bed was the only place to sit (no room for a chair) and the TV wasn't in front of it. I had to move the dresser to watch the tv lol.

One thing I found most amusing about the responses by the Gideon Putnam staff, is that EVERY one of their responses to all of the complaints from customers is the same - "We're a historic hotel, and we're always looking to improve. etc etc." I'm sorry but that type of response doesn't cut it. I feel ripped off at the prices this place charges.

No, I'm not spending all my time in my room, and it's really just a place to sleep, but when I'm unwinding, taking a shower, and just relaxing before I go to sleep I would like my money's worth, and this place certainly does not deliver in that aspect.

You should not have to pay an extraordinary amount of money because the grounds are nice, and the surroundings are nice. I'm not sleep on the grounds.
My suggestion to anyone looking at this place, just know what you're getting for your money. A very nice looking hotel from the outside, with amazing surroundings in a great place, but honestly, the rooms are as pleasant as a "Bates's Motel". I actually think the rooms in "Bates's Motel" were bigger. I definitely know the shower worked better in that film lol. Just my opinion, but it's honest, and you people should know what you're paying for.

P.S - The restaurant, and food in that place aren't very good either. There are so many GREAT restaurants in Saratoga, don't waste your money eating here.

Room Tip: Go to a different place
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike T
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi Mike. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we failed you on all levels. And unfortunately, if you stayed with us this past weekend, demand drives rates and it was opening weekend of the Saratoga thoroughbred track. I hope we have another opportunity to better serve you. There are only a handful those small rooms, and there are some great rates available throughout the year--just not during the Saratoga Race Meet.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

beautiful surrounding area,beautiful grounds,location very convenient to track and city.The room was clean and comfortable.My wife and I have stayed here before and will stay again.Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Nice resort with a very attentive staff. The rooms and bathrooms need to be updated. The restaurant and bar area are very pleasant. The rooms are a little bit pricy. This hotel needs some overall updating. Although it is a very aged resort it has quite of bit of character to keep it's guest interested.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Gideon Putnam. We are so glad you had a lovely first stay with us. Please join us again!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I love staying at the Gideon Putnam. It is right in the middle of the action in Saratoga! And there is access to wonderful hotel and other recreational activities. And did I mention you can walk to SPAC!! But -- they have only one public elevator to get to the rooms -- and my room did not have a safe (as advertised).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

And we love having you! I'm sorry there was no safe in your room. We just did a room inventory to make sure there were safes in every room. If you happen to read this response, email us at the link above and we'll be sure to remedy this. Thank you.