“landmark that is an experience”
Review of The Gideon Putnam

The Gideon Putnam
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is mostly fantastic and some minor needs improvement. First the great:
1) the grounds are beautiful
2) The staff goes out of the way to assist you in any way they can. From the guy opening the front door to the desk clerks who can't do enough to help.
3) The shuttle service to town, the casino and the racetrack is outstanding. You can actually enjoy the town without the hassle of parking.

Now the needs improvement:
The hotel is old and much of the age is well maintained gracefully in the rooms, however; There were 2 cracked windows in our bathroom, the blinds were broken in one spot and the grate covering one of the air conditioners was cracked. All of these things are minor and does not detract from the overall experience
If you have the opportunity you should stay here for one day at least.

1  Thank russrich
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your nice review! We are constantly improving the hotel. We just painted the front side of the hotel and replaced the cracked windows. We have not done the back side of the hotel yet. We have also replaced a number of our air conditioning units, and should have all new ones by next year. Thank you for your patience and for seeing us for the beauty of our staff and our services. Please come see us again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel was an incredible disappointment. Upon entering the room, I pulled up one corner of the sheets and saw three dead bugs in the mattress. After switching rooms, someone from the front desk basically accused us of lying saying they did not see anything which was an absolute lie and extremely insulting. The second room we stayed in had an ant problem. I woke up throughout the night multiple times flicking ants off my body. I kept scratching my self and had a terrible night sleep. I didn't fee like switching rooms again so I just dealt with it. The lobby had a musty smell and hallways smelled like a basement. The the air quality in the room was so unsettling that it was giving my friend a headache. For $500 plus tax a night I would expect a hotel with better conditions.

To top it off, the room division manager was extremely rude and argumentative with me when discussing the room charges. He also claimed that they did not see any bugs in the bed after we switched rooms.

When we were in the front of the hotel waiting for a taxi, there were multiple complaints on the customer service and the conditions of the rooms. I have never experienced a stay such as this and I will never be back.

This is the first review that I have written in my life. The reason I am writing this review is to alert potential guests to my experience so they can make an informed decision. This is an expensive hotel and I would want to be privy to this information before booking with this hotel.

Good luck!

Room Tip: check your mattress
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank TracyP369

Hi Tracy. I am so sorry. As you know, the Gideon Putnam is located in the middle of a State Park, surrounded by towering pines. It is likely the ants were attracted to something sweet. I have passed your comments on to our Rooms Division Manager, Laura, for follow up with the housekeepers. We will remain vigilant, and again, I am sorry for your experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Don't get me wrong: this is a nice hotel, especially for Saratoga Springs that's filled with motels. But the Gideon is incredibly overpriced.

I paid appx. $500/night during the height of the summer concert season and race track opening day. At this price, I expect top of the line everything, a la Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, etc. The Putnam is not even close to that level.

There is:
No hotel pool.
No stereo/iPod dock.
Loud portable air conditioning unit, so you have a big, ugly hose in your room.
So-so bedding.
So-so toiletries.
Cheap ironing board and iron.
Half-mile walk to the spa.
2.5-mile shuttle trip to town.

The grounds are nice. But, on the other hand, it's on a golf course, so it's not like you are in a beautiful forest. We sat outside for lunch one day and watched people play golf and ultimate Frisbee. Woo hoo. It's like staying in a public park, not a pristine wilderness. And, of course, you'll have to deal with mosquitos.

The room was quirky. We were on the top floor right under the slanted roof, so half of our room had a low, slanted ceiling, There was one, tiny window that did not open. We have a view of a another roof, the restaurant patio and a few trees. Ugh.

The room had a step up to the sleeping area. So when we ordered room service, guess who had to help the waiter lift the 20-pound cart up the step? Yep. Me. Why doesn't the hotel send two waiters?

The hotel bar scene was ridiculous. I went twice, and each time waited 10 minutes to make a drink order. The lone bartender was literally cursing and muttering because no one would help him.

There is no hotel pool. There is an outdoor public pool ($8) a quarter-mile from the hotel. The spa is not in the hotel. You'll have to walk a half-mile to the spa building.

If you want to stay in an historic hotel and check this off your bucket list, go for it. But if you want a comfortable stay at a reasonable price near shopping, dining, etc., just stay in town at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Never again, Gideon Putnam.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be very quirky. The only tip is take a horseshoe and rub it, because you're go...
1  Thank MateoGP

Hi Mateo. Thank you for your detailed review of the Gideon Putnam. We love to hear from our guests as it helps us to know what we are doing right and where we can improve. As you mentioned, the thoroughbred race track is open, and it is concert season at SPAC. Rates are based upon demand and everything is more expensive in Saratoga in the Summer. Our rates are comparable to our competition. I am sorry we did not meet your standards; a unique property such as this is not for everybody. There are two pools in the park, and the Gideon Putnam pays the entry fee for our guests at the Victoria Pool, which is located right behind the hotel. It will take you ten minutes to walk over to the spa, or you can hop a ride on our free shuttle. I hope everyone reads the history of the Saratoga Spa State Park before they visit - it is fascinating, and the reason we are here. We hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have been staying at the Gideon Putnam for over 20 years. I have come to know its many good points and bad. I stayed in a porch suite the first night of my stay ,I was instructed by the reservationist on the second day of my stay to talk to the desk and see if the suite was available and to see if I could negotiate a rate if it was available for the next evening. I spoke to a women named Shawna who immediately took offense to the fact that I would try to negotiate a rate, she than quoted me the full rate for the room and said there was nothing she could do for me. Now I needed to change my room and when I suggested that I had seen a maid cleaning a room down the hall from my room , I was told that was not possible. So much for trying to accommodating the guest. Shawna having taken a personnel dislike to me now put me in the worst room the hotel had to offer. It is the only room in the hotel that overlooks a rooftop, and some kind of acrylic bubble. The air conditioner in the room sounded like a diesel engine. I poked me head in at the desk to say how much I disliked my new accommodations only to get a blank stare. I worked in the hospitality industry for many years. I have to wonder is Shawna making these decisions on her own or......does it COME FROM THE TOP DOWN. KAREN G.

Room Tip: Front of hotel has pretty view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Karen. I can appreciate that you were not happy with your second room, after beginning your stay in a Porch Suite, but I am disappointed to see that you would embarrass one of our employees in this way. Shawna continually goes above and beyond to make sure our guests are happy, and they absolutely love her. The fact that she would not discount one of our suites for opening weekend of the Saratoga Race Meet was nothing personal, but rather based on demand. I am sorry.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

You know, I read a lot of the reviews on this place, and I'm quite surprised by the amount of positive reviews on this place. Yes, the atmosphere, setting, and grounds are amazing. Saratoga is a beautiful place, but that withstanding, it doesn't make the hotel, or the experience of staying there a good one. The rooms in this place are incredibly small, dirty, and certainly nothing worth charging somebody $300-$400 a night for.

I mean, what are you paying for? The surroundings? There are MANY hotels in Saratoga that are right on the strip, and in the middle of the city near the track, SPAC, etc, and while they're not as "historic" as this place claims to be, the other hotels rooms are much bigger, modern, and cleaner than the rooms at Giedon. I mean, I wasn't expected a suite with a balcony and all the amenities, but I did a expect a room with clean sheets, clean linens, and a room that I could move around in. The television was in the corner of the room, on a dresser, but unless you stood in front of it you couldn't watch it since the bed was the only place to sit (no room for a chair) and the TV wasn't in front of it. I had to move the dresser to watch the tv lol.

One thing I found most amusing about the responses by the Gideon Putnam staff, is that EVERY one of their responses to all of the complaints from customers is the same - "We're a historic hotel, and we're always looking to improve. etc etc." I'm sorry but that type of response doesn't cut it. I feel ripped off at the prices this place charges.

No, I'm not spending all my time in my room, and it's really just a place to sleep, but when I'm unwinding, taking a shower, and just relaxing before I go to sleep I would like my money's worth, and this place certainly does not deliver in that aspect.

You should not have to pay an extraordinary amount of money because the grounds are nice, and the surroundings are nice. I'm not sleep on the grounds.
My suggestion to anyone looking at this place, just know what you're getting for your money. A very nice looking hotel from the outside, with amazing surroundings in a great place, but honestly, the rooms are as pleasant as a "Bates's Motel". I actually think the rooms in "Bates's Motel" were bigger. I definitely know the shower worked better in that film lol. Just my opinion, but it's honest, and you people should know what you're paying for.

P.S - The restaurant, and food in that place aren't very good either. There are so many GREAT restaurants in Saratoga, don't waste your money eating here.

Room Tip: Go to a different place
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike T
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi Mike. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we failed you on all levels. And unfortunately, if you stayed with us this past weekend, demand drives rates and it was opening weekend of the Saratoga thoroughbred track. I hope we have another opportunity to better serve you. There are only a handful those small rooms, and there are some great rates available throughout the year--just not during the Saratoga Race Meet.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

beautiful surrounding area,beautiful grounds,location very convenient to track and city.The room was clean and comfortable.My wife and I have stayed here before and will stay again.Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Nice resort with a very attentive staff. The rooms and bathrooms need to be updated. The restaurant and bar area are very pleasant. The rooms are a little bit pricy. This hotel needs some overall updating. Although it is a very aged resort it has quite of bit of character to keep it's guest interested.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Gideon Putnam. We are so glad you had a lovely first stay with us. Please join us again!