“No pool”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saratoga Springs, New York
“No pool”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

How can you call your Hotel a Resort when your swimming pool.The beautiful State Victorian Pool was closed for the hottest weekend in June. Every other hotel in town had an open pool but yours.Some were inexpensive ma and pa operations. We came to enjoy the evening concerts at the nearby SPAC but will never stay in this Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We took advantage of a package that included overnight accommodation, a mineral bath for 2 and breakfast the next morning. For what we paid(which I will keep a secret) in exchange for what we got, we considered our experience to be an excellent value. The staff were all pleasant and helpful. They even drove us over to the nearby Roosevelt Baths when we had trouble finding it on our own.(BEWARE: the signage in the park is minimal) Our room, which we assumed was of a "standard" level ,was more than adequate with a nice, recently refurbished bathroom. We ate at "Putnams", their in house restaurant, and it was quite good. The food was decent, they had a nice draft beer selection and the service was attentive and efficient. The restaurant is decorated with vintage murals (circa 1935) and enhances the genteel character of this historic hotel.

Boston
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Although I've been to Saratoga Springs a few times, I had never stayed at the Gideon Putnum before this visit. I had visited the hotel grounds before, and wanted to give it a try. We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is old-fashioned, but in a nice way. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The hotel is also located in the State Park, so there is a lot of great scenery, and areas to walk. The Roosevelt Spa is also close by. This hotel would be my first choice for our next visit. I am very surprised at many of the bad reviews I has received.

Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My fiance and I went to Saratoga for a night away from the city. When we arrived at the hotel our room was not ready yet so we left our bags with the front desk and went out for a couple hours. Upon our return we checked into our room. The room was very dated and hot. We also found the room to be very dingy, the walls could have used a fresh coat of paint. When we left for the evening we requested that the heat be turned down in our room, they have old radiators so we could not control this ourselves. When we returned back later that night they had lowered the heat but we still needed to leave the window open which had no screen. There was a school group staying at the resort and many of kids were hanging out outside long after midnight. Since our window was open we could hear them. Around 1am my fiance went down to the desk to ask if they could control the kids. They told us they were doing everything they could. We were still kept up until after 3am due to the kids outside. When we checked out I told the desk again about the kids from the night before and all they offered was an apology. Overall our experience was very disappointing and I wish we had stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street. Saratoga is a great place to visit but I would stay at one of the newer inns or hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2010

This hotel is nicely situation less than 5 minutes from a quaint shopping district, fine restaurants, etc. Food was very good in the restaurant (I had no alternative for dining during the conference). However this was my conference experience: 1) upon arrival - bathtub was not clean; 2) sink didn't drain properly -- looked down and found a toothpaste cap in the drain!; 3) hair dryer broken; 4) Coffee maker filter basket-I had to clean it with a washcloth as it reeked and obviously hadn't been run through a dishwasher in a long time; 5) toilet kept running (had to jiggle the handle EVERY time I flushed to get it to fill; 6) Coffee cups at the conference weren't clean (I realized this after I found crud in the bottom of my first cup)-- I went through THREE cups before i found one acceptably clean <ew>; 7) After my first night, and the "housekeeping" done, --- 8) there was still hair in the bathtub (it was mine, but still.....); 9) there was trash still on the floor that I dropped on my way rushing out of the room for my conference; 10) My cold coffee cup was left on the night-stand, 11) the water in the conference was NOT refilled at every break; 12) they ran out of TP in the ladies room around 12N and it wasn't replaced until the 4pm break; No need to go on, but there was more..... They did adjust my bill, but I wouldn't go back even if I could stay for free. I did not visit Roosevelt Spa because of the hygiene issues I observed at the hotel and I expected the same lack of attention to cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
, Director of Operations at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 29 May 2010
Dear Guest,

As the Director of Operations of The Gideon Putnam Resort, I wish to express my sincerest apologies for your recent experience at the Gideon Putnam Resort. There is no excuse for the multitude of issues that were brought to my attention; I won’t try to make any. I have communicated your concerns to my staff and together we will do everything we can to learn from your experience and ensure that neither you, or any other guest of the resort will have to face these issues again. The Gideon Putnam Resort prides itself on it’s guest service and this means everything to us. Should you decide to give The Gideon Putnam Resort another chance, please introduce yourself to me, I will personally see that you are taken good care of, as I expect all our guests to be taken care of.

Walter Kochansky
New York
Reviewed 7 March 2010

There is much hype about this historic hotel in Saratoga Springs; however, its best days are in the past. For an upscale hotel and price tag we expected a bell man and valet parking. Neither of these were present and we had to find a cart, unload our bags and park car and walk back to the hotel all while it was snowing. Additionally they could not find our reservation upon arrival.
The room was adequate but dated. Bathroom had mildew in the shower and the faucet was replaced and was protruding about one inch from the tile exposing the copper piping.
Dinner in the main restaurant was not up to par. We ordered our steaks medium rare and they came raw (not rare but raw). Service was slow and I had to get up to find the waitress to correct this issue.
Overall this did not meet expectations and they have significant work to do to get back to the prominence and service of when this was an elegant hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2010

My trips to Saratoga Springs began when I became the coordinator for one of the Even Start Proyects in NYC. The State Conferences were held at the Gideon Putnam Hotel where I stayed. It's located in the Adirondack foothills of eastern New York, west of the Hudson River in the 2,300-acre Saratoga Spa State Park. Within the park are the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, museums, historic bath houses and numerous recreation facilities. The Hotel has a Georgian-style architecture and parkland setting, the Gideon Putnam Resort and Spa has the feel of a fine country home.

Stayed October 2007, travelled on business