“Instructors great..Owner Ed, not so great!”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Reviewed 14 March 2014

BEWARE..MAKE SURE THE CHEF IS NOT ON VACATION WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS AND BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE OF WATER BECAUSE ED CHARGES YOU FOR BOTTLED WATER! Our group has been to TT 4 times. First 3 times everything was great. The instructors very good & the food FANTASTIC. Our tennis group (7 players) booked a week-end this January, 2014. Our instructor, Tony was the best! The instructions very good. The food was TERRIBLE! The Owner Ed, was nasty. He was nasty in previous years but we ignored it because everything @ TT was so good. This time, when we tried to tell Ed how terrible the food was, he said nothing, ignored us & walked away. Part of the reputation of TT is the fabulous food. Seems this week-end they had the busboys doing (what was called) cooking. So we paid more for less. So again, I tell you to make sure the chef is working the week-end you are booking and bring your own bottled water because Ed charges for bottled water.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Marian B

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed at Total Tennis for a weekend with a group of 3 other friends. We were all fairly closely matched in our tennis level and as a result, were able to stay in a group all together. Our instructor, Vic offered good constructive feedback and I feel like we all came away from the weekend playing better.

The food was fantastic. The chef prepared a wide variety of delicious options of mostly organic and great quality food. We never went hungry as food was cafeteria style and you really could eat as much as you wanted (which after 4 hours of tennis was a lot).

I had to take away a rating point for the lodging. The rooms were very clean and well kept, however extremely bare bones and not designed for comfort or style. The bathrooms seemed to not have been updated since the facility was built in the 70s and the beds were a bit stiff and not all that comfortable. The biggest issue in our room was the temperature control. We were in room 5 (the thermostat was in room 6). Because no one was staying in room 6, our first night was a bit chilly as no one thought to turn up the gauge. When I asked for an extra blanket the next night, the temperature was raised to a sweltering amount that made sleeping even without any blankets extremely uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in a room with a thermostat so you can control your own temperature.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank passportnecessary
Reviewed 22 October 2013

If you like tennis, this is the perfect place. Low key, ecosustainable, great food, amazing instructors. It's the whole package, and for all skill levels.
Prices are very competitive, and no time at all to get bored.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Paola R
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Outstanding tennis. Facilities and accommodations are great. Food is outstanding. My wife's fourth visit to Total Tennis. Swimming and hiking off court. Relaxing. Tennis instruction excellent. Rooms are clean. Very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank John S
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Overall I had a good time. However, I feel that Ed's handling of a situation negatively affected my total (tennis) experience. Participants are assigned to groups of 4 -6 players, with an instructor, based on skill level - you are initially asked to self-select what group you should be placed in based on the description of skills that are needed for each level of play. I ranked myself a 2.5..low intermediate. I was placed in a group in which there was someone more or less on par with my level and then there were two women who ranked themselves as 3.0's but were nevertheless placed in my group. They probably should have ranked themselves as 3.5's. These women were justifiably unhappy and voiced their dissatisfaction. Ed's solution was to move me out of the group - to a lower level. My feelings were hurt and I could not help feeling rejected. The person in my original group that was basically on par with me was not reassigned. I had accurately ranked my skill level and I was asked to leave this group and was assigned to a lower level group of four - one was on par with my level of play but two were weaker players. During various drills, I focused on my performance and it didn't make a huge difference that our skills were at different levels. However, the second afternoon was devoted to two hours of doubles and that was just frustrating...getting the serve in play was difficult for the group. I feel that I should not have been demoted. I know - I'm venting. The hotel was lovely -although a TV would have been nice, the food was fabulous, and I had moments when I felt exhilarated playing and learning this lovely sport in a lovely setting. I would not hesitate recommending Total Tennis - just know that what group you are in and how a situation is handled makes a difference in your total experience.

Room Tip: I enjoyed being in the main lodge - nice view of the mountains and dining room just down the stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pearldvg
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Just got back from the Sunday through Wednesday session at Total Tennis. It was my second time there and it was great. The early week session tends to have fewer people than the weekend, so I find it very friendly and comfortable. I am always impressed with the number of people who are repeat guests.

The accommodations are adequate, the instruction was terrific, and the food was excellent. There is plenty of locally grown fruits and veggies. It is a nice low tech few days where you can play tennis, have good conversations, and enjoy the scenery.

It was very hot and sunny, so in the afternoon we went inside for tennis. I don't like the air inside, but it was better than the relentless sun.

I believe that TT goes out of its way for customer service. With advanced notice, the chef honored a request for a favorite lunch of one of my repeat co-travelers and I appreciated the room clean up and clean towels on the third morning, so we had what we needed after our lessons on the last day.

Room Tip: If you are rooming with a friend, Cherry Hill is nice because there is a wall between the two beds g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank RivkaZ
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Total Tennis is not a resort. It is tennis camp. The accommodations are basic with small rooms that look a little dilapidated. The bed was comfortable. But the lodge common areas are nice and the food is very good. My tennis experience was very good also - good drills, lots of balls to hit, and an interested instructor that kept things moving and provided useful advise. I think it is very important to be with a good group to get the improvement you want out of the program. I was in a 3.5 group and was compatible with the skill level of the 3 other players. You won't be happy if you are incompatible with your group.
Mealtime is nice, and very social. They had a nice wine and cheese one night, which was enjoyable.
I would go back.

Room Tip: Paying extra to be in the lodge is not worth the money. Get the cheapest room, it won't make a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ajerseyshoreguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!