“I love tennis even more!”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
new york
“I love tennis even more!”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I booked this 3 day trip with my son and husband who both are great tennis players. I personally am not a great or even good tennis player, but eager to learn! This was excellent. From the people to my tennis pro (hey Vic) and to the amazing food. I think I gained five pounds!!

Total Tennis is in a picturesque setting. The smell of coffee, and cooking of home made food is in the air in the main lodge! The food is excellent! The place itself is very rustic, and the rooms can really be considered a place to get a good hot shower and a good nights sleep! This is tennis camp, not a tennis resort..

The instruction for me as a beginner was excellent. I was able to do the four hours of tennis a day..and then some! My pro had the patientence of a saint and was so nice and kind and caring! It does not matter what level you are..even a beginner can have fun!

The best part after the tennis and the food were the other people who were guests! Memories and friendships that might last a lifetime!! We were all so close that we pushed some table together so we could have our meals together..all of us..except the children who were just too cool to sit with the adults!
Very casual..don't get dressed up for dinner..flip/flops shorts or sewat pants are just fine!
After dinner the other guest asked if we wanted to play more tennis...most everyone did and had a blast!

We are tired and sore, but had a great time meeting great people,playing great tennis, learning tennis skills, eating great food, and having memories that will last a lifetime. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I attended a tennis weekend at TT with several girlfriends (in our 40's and 50's). We received serious instruction and all felt satisfied that we came away with our games improved. Food was excellent. The place is "rustic", not posh - the dining room and lounge is like a New England ski lodge. My room was comfortable and spotless. The bathroom was rather old fashioned and small, but clean with plenty of hot water. For the money, I think it is a great value. Mostly adults attended but there were 2 families with teens. I booked one of their masseuses after the first day and she was excellent, and baked myself in their hot tub jacuzzi after the second afternoon. I slept like a rock both nights.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 November 2008

My wife and I are complete beginners at Tennis. Our instructors were very informative, patient and thorough. The setting is gorgeous, and the food is excellent. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Located in the beautiful Catskill setting with plenty of tennis courts, pool, hot tub, message, etc. The tennis pros are very friendly and helpful. We had an amazing long weekend where we played tons of tennis, met new people, and improved our tennis skills.

This is not a resort, but it is a tennis camp with an okay food and accommodation. I definitely recommended it for a tennis junky, or tennis junky want to be.

• Liked — View of the Catskills Mountains
  • Disliked — primitive rooms, and showers
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Weehawken
Reviewed 25 July 2008

July 2008 trip - Was fantastic. All the reviews about the food did not do it justice. We would sit in the cafe and rave about how the food rivaled the top 4 star restaurants in NYC. I still cannot believe it and it was not fattenning stuff. Grilled vegetables, homemade everything, whole wheat pasta, sliced steak, homemade salad dressings and bread, chicken marsala. The choices were so varied that it really did have something to please everyone from the extremely health conscious to those looking to splurge on vacation. The tennis instruction was fabulous. I did not even know how to play a lick of tennis and now feel relatively comfortable after 3 days. The massage therapists were fantastic!!! The pool was not that bad. We were so sweaty sometimes that we would shower quickly and then jump in the pool for an hour. The pool was relatively empty because you played so much tennis. Having no tv did not bother me because we went and socialized with all the other campers. They had a movie at night, board games, chess, wine and cheese happy hour, and Saugerties town is sooo cute. We went to the Muddy Cup in Saugerties to have coffee and read books/magazines. The rooms were basic. They are what you would expect if you think about going to summer camp. Bed, table, bathroom, cute sitting room. I would definitely request to stay in the main lodge though because it is just a tad bit closer to the courts, you get a nice porch with a view of the Catskills. I booked this vacation on a whim because we were tired of the same old vacation. This was really fun. I am a bit sore since I played non-stop for 3 days but actually felt sad when I left that I was leaving camp. Boo Hoo. Made a few friends and hopefully will go back this season. LOVED every minute of it. It is not the 4 Seasons so if you are expecting that kind of high style you will not get it. It was a homestyle family vacation. The instructors were nice, the staff was fine..no idea why the owner gets a bad rap in some reviews, he was great to us and it even poured one day so we went inside the indoor courts. Definitely get the massage if you haven't played in awhile. I felt muscles I never knew existed. Many people did have their laptops with them and I would recommend bringing soda and cups with you. Also, they have a great par 3 golf course in Kingston with a driving range if you want to golf. We did and we also stopped in Kingston. Bring tons of socks and clothing to change if you are a sweaty person. I changed 3x in 1 day. Morning outfit, after lunch outfit and dinner outfit because you sweat tons!!! Hate to stay that but I consider myself to be someone who doesn't really sweat and I was roasting like a chicken. Have fun!!!

• Liked — The AC was awesome. The sitting room had a nice view and the porch was relaxing in the main lodge.
  • Disliked — No king bed and the room overall is not updated.
Westchester, NY
Reviewed 14 July 2008

If you have read the reviews on Total Tennis you know that the consensus is that the Tennis instruction they offer is great, the food is wonderful, and the accommodations leave something to be desired. That is all true. Instead of being critical of Total Tennis's shortcoming, be appreciative because once the rooms, lodge, and pool area are updated you may not be able to get a reservation! The guestrooms are purely for showers and sleeping so the no-frills aspect did not bother me at all and I have worked for several of the luxury hotel brands. Be sure to request Cal R. as your instructor because he will work you like a dog- the way a great fitness trainer just beats you up. His humor reminds me of Dennis Miller, except he has all the tennis shots from 40+ years of playing, and he will improve your game immensely. The mix of people that attend is varied which only makes it that much more interesting. This weekend included two young female Russian bankers who came to play but also to party, the Manhattan wine salesman with the mean overhead, the married ex-college roommates who brought good looks and an "A game", the Manhattan professional with a sexy Aston Martin DB9, etc.

At just a bit more than 100 miles outside of NYC the ride would be enjoyable if it wasn't for the usual backup at the Tappen Zee Bridge. The overall value provided by this place is really exceptional. If you want a luxury hotel experience there are many, many options to choose from. If you want Tennis Nirvana, head to Saugerties.

• Liked — The tennis
  • Disliked — need bigger beds
new york
Reviewed 7 July 2008

just got back from a 3 day weekend stay during fourth of july. it was such an awesome weekend, i wish i were still there.
pros:
- amazing food - seriously, where did they get this chef from??
- awesome tennis instruction - my friend and i had mattias in a 3.0 group. he was really really great. we never did the same drills twice, and he really made an effort in playing with us, as opposed to just feeding balls. he really raised the level of our play.
- really fun community feel. it probably depends on which weekend you go, but this past weekend it was pretty full and there were tons of people to talk to during lunches and dinners, and time passed by so quickly. we made lots of new tennis friends and were never bored. the dance party on saturday nights was fun too.

cons:
- the rooms are obviously not resort - like, but we did the upgrade with the deck and the pool view and it was well worth it. i think some of the other rooms are much worse.
- food is too good, i gained 4 pounds from overeating.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janefe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
Diamond Mills Hotel
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!