“Great campground, can't wait to go back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Rip Van Winkle Campgrounds
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great campground, can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I never go camping in season because we don't have kids and enjoy the peace and quiet. We took a chance and went last weekend (August 16-18). I am so glad we did! The campsite was the largest we have ever had! Lots of trees, shade and privacy. We walked up to the store to get firewood and Jennifer drove us back in her van so we didn't have to walk all the way back with heavy wood. We were also informed that there is an ice cream cart that comes by 3 times on Saturday with ice and firewood as well. What a clever idea! They have a little remote control track, swimming hole, pool, stream, etc. So much to do even for adults. I will definitely go back! My only request is that they add a "Lover's Lane" for RV's in addition to the tent camping. I love the idea of an adult only section in the campground!

Room Tip: We stayed close to lover's lane (great idea along the stream for adult only tent camping) but si...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeanB37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Before deciding where to take our 5 year old daughter camping for the first time, I looked at all the reviews for campgrounds around our area. Rip Van Winkle seemed to have the best reviews and after staying there this past weekend, I can definitely say I agree. We stayed in a tent campsite by the creek and it was just lovely. As others have said, the staff is so nice and answered any questions we had and the bathrooms were very clean. My daughter loved the playgrounds - she used three different ones while we were there. We just booked our return trip :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BMR83
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We drive at least six hours, two times a year, to stay at Rip Van Winkle Campgrounds. This is, by far, our favorite campground. The place is very well maintained by management and staff who really make you feel at home -- they will go out of their way to make sure you are having the best camping experience possible.

The property is wooded and you feel secluded with privacy on each and every site. Our favorite site is in the section they call "The Ledges" which gives us a huge site with a large cliff face in the back that is all ours. There are so many more beautiful sites, but we come back to this one every time. There is a fishing pond and a stream/river that runs through the property and the vast property offers lots of trails and forest for exploring. There is an old fashioned swimming hole on the stream with a rope swing and a small beach which seems to be a gathering place for many.

For those who need bathrooms and showers, they have them and they are spotless. How can they not be when they are checked by staff on a regular basis all day long.

There is so much more I could say about Rip Van Winkle, but I don't want to spoil all of the surprises for others. I will only add that there is no place like it.

I know you will enjoy your stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MtVernonMan
New York, NY
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My friends and I rented a cabin here and had the best time. We were literally the first people to stay in a newly built cabin right on the creek, and it was an ideal spot to hang out - the staff hadn't told us that we would have a back deck with a gorgeous view of the woods and water. We would alternate between drinking our beer on the deck and drinking our beer in the creek, and it was awesome. The cabins themselves were really nice, hilariously outfitted with a flatscreen TV, mini fridge, and an air conditioner that's bigger than the one I use for my 1-br apartment. These cabins are definitely the place to take someone who is wary of the outdoors.

The campground seemed really well-run, and the staff were lovely. Though I would absolutely recommend getting a cabin or campsite by the creek, we were about as far away as you could get from the coin showers near reception. Luckily, my friends and I weren't squeamish about bathing in our swimsuits under the cold water faucet in front of the house since it was 90 degrees outside.

Room Tip: Cabins or campsites by the creek are ace.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank enigmused
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I booked a night here last minute and being the picky woman I am I definitely checked the website out thoroughly. I am not a camper, but I must say upon arrival we were quite dissapponted to find a majority of the sites were amongst "long term RVS" , now this is not a problem at all if the website clearly stated what it was camping next to Winnebagos with attached decks. Again completely fine except for there's really nothing about that posted on their website including photos, none were Winnebagos. No refund, way false advertising/ misleading photos and information= really dissapointing.

Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Avitalmaria
NY
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We are just leaving from a very nice weekend at RVW campgrounds. We have been to several other grounds this year and this is my fav so far.
It is extremely clean. The bathrooms are spotless.
Dumpsters and dumping station are on the way out.
Sites are not huge, but enough privacy with pine trees around. Gravel, level sites with full hookups in most areas.
One thing to note, there is no RV sites next to the stream. It is all tented along the water. In the other side of the road are some RV sites. These are also the furthest away from the office, store and pool. Also appears a younger crowd camps here. Although they were all pleasant and not loud so no worries.
I don't think it makes a difference whether you pick rivers edge or the ledges. There really is no river area for RVs. All the sites are pretty much the same. We liked it. Dog friendly too. Everyone had their extended family pooches.

There aren't a lot of kid activities like some campgrounds but my 6 year old found enough to do. There were two hayrides during the day, pool whic is older but very clean, a rec hall, plenty of playgrounds. They have a human size checkerboard, a full setup for remote control car racing, paddle boats and the various theme activity for the weekend. Also bingo was on Friday night. And my sons favorite was the ice cream truck that came throughout the day.

All campers we met were very friendly, it was not a clicky bunch like we have seen with other campgrounds that have seasonal campers. They were friendly as well as helpful. One lady stopped to ask if we needed help setting up our site, very thoughtful.
Also, although there were the typical golf carts, they weren't overpowering like some places we've stayed where I have to watch if my son will get run over or not.
They ask you to buy your firewood there. We did. It was 6.25 a bundle or they gave a discount for multiples. Not sure what it was. Ice I believe was 2.50 a bag. Prices weren't outrageous. We didnt feel nickel and dimed.
They do mention the rules when you check in, but I have to say, maybe it's the campers this campground attracts but everyone was respectful of the rules, noise, speed, each other, etc. something we were thankful for. Also you get a security gate pass that is $5. You can get a refund when you leave or keep it for a future weekend and get 20% off your stay. We kept it.

We had 30 amp full hookup. It included cable and wifi which worked well at our site#9 which is a pull through. Although we didnt particularly like this site only because its in the corner and traffic coming and going.

My favorite part of all was the staff. From the time we went in the store with the friendly lady behind the register who joked with my son and asked what she could help with to the hosts throughout the campground.

Finally, as we were tearing down to leave we had an issue with our hookup. I called the front desk and they sent someone right over to our site to help. He helped my husband resolve the problem and stayed till he was sure we were good. Thank You!!!! I was very worried about what to do and how much it would cost to have someone come to the grounds to fix our problem and it turned out to be nothing big but having someone there to help was a huge relief. Not to mention cost.

I can't say enough good things about this nice man who came to our site and even though it was pouring rain, he stood outside and helped my husband. Thank you!!
We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013
Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This campground is wooded, well-kept and maintained. We had a nice time and probably would have been one of our favorite campsites. Unfortunately, nothing indicates that you pay for showers, and you can't adjust the temperature of them. We stayed there 7/5/13 through 7/11/13, very hot and muggy days. After setting up camp, we wanted to shower off, but we found that the water was extremely hot. I did mention something to a man with "HOST" on his shirt, and he just grinned and turned away. Several times during our stay, I did jump out of the shower, it was that hot. Again I said something to a lady wearing a "host shirt. All she said was that someone else told her that, and I should tell the boys who owned the camp. Honestly, the temperature of the water is hot enough that it would burn a young child. Don't camp here unless you have a self-contained camper with a shower.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laurie0502
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties

Been to Rip Van Winkle Campgrounds? Share your experiences!