“Always a hit”

New World Home Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
New World Home Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 74 Restaurants in Saugerties
Price range: US$18 - US$30
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New World has been owned and operated by Chef Ric Orlando and his wife and partner Liz Corrado since 1993. New World is established as a Hudson Valley favorite with 20 years of operation as a beloved café and caterer. We offer a unique concept---Global-Local-Sustainable Cuisine that combines upscale casual service with fun, vibrant but seriously executed "Clean Food" from around the world. New World Home Cooking has won Hudson Valley Magazine's People Choice awards in 2014, 2015 and 2016 for BEST ULSTER COUNTY RESTAURANT... also BEST GLUTEN FREE dining and BEST VEGETARIAN...and Ric won BEST CHEF 2014,2015. And, if you didn't already know, Ric Orlando has won Chopped twice and appeared in the first Chopped Champions ... and ... he also challenged and BEAT BOBBY FLAY in 2015!
New York City, New York
“Always a hit”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I've gone here tons of times and enjoy the events put on, like the lobster nights and such. Last time I went, my friend and I ordered the entire appetizer menu and were so satisfied with every dish. The drinks are great as well and service is excellent!

2 Thank Maria K

New York City, New York
“not as good as we had heard”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Many of out friends have recommended this restaurant so last week we decided to try brunch. The old building is quaint and inviting. The decor is very eclectic and warm. The staff is friendly and accommodating. We started our meal with a chocolate filled brioche which was actually a couple of pieces of baguette stuffed with chocolate, sliced apples and served hot & toasty. It was good, but not very innovative (so easy to make at home) and a bit pricey. I would have preferred something freshly baked. We also tried the eggplant balls which were an interesng concept however the eggplant was a bit sharp in flavor and left my tounge stinging. I had the lobster mac and cheese with egg. I was told the egg was sunny side up but the yolk was cooked solid, so I missed the delicious flavor of it oozing out. The lobster was sufficient, but the pasta was overcooked and the cheese was kind of funky like a stinky cheese. I wish I had asked what kind of cheese it was. The worst part of this dish was the 1/2 inch puddle of butter/fat that coated the bottom of my cassoulet. Totally inedible after eating about 1/2 of it.

On a more positive note my wife's tuna melt was delicious and the blackened string beans (which I heard so myuch about) were excellent, spicy with a nice crunch.

I would try this restaurant again perhaps for dinner. We traveled from central CT so it would have to involve an overnight and if we find the time to do that, maybe the next review will be more positive.

• Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“This is an unusually good place in the Catskills - VERY vegan-friendly”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Big variety of dishes with tons of choices for vegetarians and vegans, very friendly staff, excellent food. Nice atmosphere and bar scene as well. Our server was really attentive and dealt well with my occasionally hard-to-please relatives.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank BettyC60795
A TripAdvisor Member
“New World/New Age”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The appetizers that we ordered were incredible and unlike any we have ever eaten. In fact, this place was recommended to us by a waitress at another restaurant! She told us to order the blackened string beans- and they were fantastic. i only wish i had ordered the larger portion! My wife had long stem artichoke hearts which were very lightly fried and delicious. We dont usually order anything fried. The bread was fantastic and the bean spread as well. I can't speak for the main courses,as we only had starters. Our server, Erin, was incredibly bubbly and fun and took great care of us.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Ewen, New York
“Very Interesting Food”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

If you are seeking a new and different world of food, try New World. It will not disappoint. I had delicious fried artichokes with lemon dip as an appetizer. I could have easily eaten several plates of that dish alone. Then I had the salad trio with grilled chicken - - - 3 small portions of 3 of their salads - - - and each one was delicious and satisfying on a hot summer day. Our out-of-town guest required strictly gluten free food, so she was happy New World had a gluten free/vegan menu. She ordered a shrimp and quinoa combo with grilled pineapple that proved to be bland and boring. Just because a dish is gluten free does not mean it can't have herbs and spices included in the preparation. The third person in our party ordered a roasted pork dish with rice, black beans and sweet potato mash. The portion was huge, definitely enough to share, and tasted satisfyingly good. All of us were dieting, so we had to skip the interesting array of desserts. Servers at New World were friendly and knowledgeable; when they didn't know the answer to a question (where are your shrimp caught?), they took the trouble to find out and return to our table with the answer. This is important because there are so many unusual dishes on the menu. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you will be thrilled with the wide variety of dishes. The problem with New World for me is its 'shabbiness' - - - both inside and outside. Just because it bothers me, doesn't mean it will bother you, however. If you want a creative meal experience and can overlook the worn/torn atmosphere, you can have fun and food at a reasonable price at New World.

• Visited July 2013