“Looks better on the outside than it is”

Land & Sea Grill & Steak House
Ranked #9 of 79 Restaurants in Saugerties
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Could be a gem, but really needs a makeover. Food and service were average, nothing to celebrate. Upon entering the historic looking building, you are smacked in the face with a very strong smell of mustiness, mold, moisture, as if there is a foot of water in the basement. It almost sent me packing at that point, but it looked interesting so we ate. Men's room was in a state of disrepair and dismal. Shame, because this place could be a gem.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stopped to have dinner at this restaurant for convenience, on our drive to Saratoga. It looked inviting enough from the outside. The menu looked interesting enough, but the execution was lacking.

My daughter ordered the NY Strip steak, and asked that it be cooked medium-well. It came to our table closer to medium rare. We sent it back twice, and at the end it was tough on the outside and not good at all. The steak was thick and not well seasoned. She was offered a free dessert on the house to make up for this, which she accepted.

My husband ordered the petite surf and turf. It was just OK. I ordered a lobster bisque, which was OK, not great. My shrimp po'boy sandwish was likewise lackluster. The fried shrimp in it was tasteless and on the greasy side.

Our bill came to $100, with tip. The short story is that dinner was not worth that much.

2  Thank cseleosida
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Myself and my four widowed friends got together to have a meal and chat. Catch up on each other's lives. The food was ok, nothing special. The real problem was the staff. They were doing everything to rush us out, many open tables. After being asked to give us some space to eat and chat,twice the busboy and once the waiter. Paying a minimum of 25.00 a dinner,we were there to enjoy and catch up. W the waiter after being asked for some time, was rude, and took it upon himself to say we were talking to much, particularly me.( not the first time I have been told this) but never in the tone, and volume of waitstaff. I live in Saugerties, and I will be sure to share this with everyone I can. I will never visit this nasty place again. It's to bad whatever agency rated them didn't see their real behavior, as they would be rated much lower than the worst McDonalds. I have never rated anything before, but upon returning from that lousy eatery,I felt I had to.

1  Thank Eileen K
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have brought family to eat here a couple of times since my first review. Food is still rated very good, but something doesn't quite make it. Seafood is too oily and not cooked so perfectly. Service bordered on surly. I guess they get enough business from I-87 stop-overs and HITS people. Too bad - only last year I thought this was a pretty nice place.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We drove from Southern Ulster County to Northern Ulster County to enjoy a romantic dinner for our wedding anniversary - dining at Land and Sea Grill & Steak House was well worth the drive.

Our server was wonderful and attentive. We enjoyed liver pate for an appetizer and then had double lobster tails and petit filet and shrimp as entrees. I enjoy my meat well done ~ the filet was cooked perfectly - well done and tender! Melted like butter - - soooo good. The lobster tails were also cooked perfectly.

We enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant and will certainly return here in the near future. It's perfect for a couple who would like to celebrate a special occasion.

1  Thank Sunflowre