“Some good, some bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Madison, Wisconsin
“Some good, some bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

The strangest thing about this hotel has to be that when we pulled up there were NO cars parked out front, so I thought there was a possibility that it was closed.

The outside is a bit dated, but much of the interior has been updated (not the bathrooms). The room was pretty clean (bathroom, linens), but dusty... Like no one has stayed in the room for perhaps a week or three. I'm pretty sure that there were only a handful of people staying at the hotel.

Breakfast is a fine continental afair, nothing special.

All in all, the price is a bit high for what you get, but the hotel is not a dump or terrible by any means.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

We had to stop at this hotel because it was raining so bad we couldn't continue driving. The hotel was not that clean but it was comfortable. The breakfast was ok. The price was high, compared to other hotels nearby. I had already stayed in a hotel in Fishkill, one hour away from this hotel and paid 30% less and it was cleaner.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Forest Hills, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stay at this hotel every year for the garlic festival. It is convenient; just off 87, ten minute drive to the festival and a short drive to town and great restaurants. Larry checked us in and he made us feel welcomed. All the staff seemed friendly and greeted us with a smile. We stayed on the second floor; it was quiet, except I could hear doors slamming. The room was clean, beds comfy with fluffy pillows and good towels. The TV was large but not modern. Refrigerator, coffee maker, iron\board. hair-dryer in room. The air-conditioner worked well. No elevator. Had to carry our heavy luggage up the stairs. Breakfast was complimentary, good and plentiful. It was nice to be offered proteins at breakfast, not the typical carbohydrate breakfast: Both hot and cold foods were offered: make your own waffles, hard boiled and scrambled eggs, sausage patties, fruit, cold cereal, muffins, pastry, yogurt, bagels, bread, tea (Lipton only) and coffee (regular and decaf), juice, milk (whole and 2%). Complimentary items, like tooth brushes given upon request. 24 hour coffee and tea are available. This hotel seems a bit pricey, but choices are limited in Saugerties. Kingston is one exit south and has many hotels to offer at competitive rates. I would recommend this hotel if you want or need to stay in the town of Saugerties.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quieter but no elevator. Avoid rooms close to reception on the first floor...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gershwin12
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We came to Saugerties for the Warrior Dash in Wyndham. The room was clean, with the basics, nothing much more than that. It's pet friendly which is great, with a nice large yard in front to walk them in the morning and at night. The staff was very nice and friendly and made the stay really pleasant. The breakfast was nice, more than I was expecting, which was a nice surprise. If you're on the ground floor, you'll hear a lot of walking in the hallway upstairs, so if you're a light sleeper, I'd recommend asking for a room on the second floor. Also, while the hotel is pet friendly, our dog barked ONCE and we received a call from the front desk about a noise complaint, so beware of not so understanding guests. I will say the staff was very understanding and nice about it though. Also there isn't an elevator, so don't take a room on the second floor if stairs are a challenge.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tracy M
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

The Comfort Inn in Saugerties was a decent hotel, not luxury by any means. There are not a lot of choices in the Saugerties/Kingston area (it's the Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Courtyard by Marriott and Howard Johnson's), but the Comfort Inn was fine. It clean, easy to find and pet-friendly. The staff was nice and overall it was a decent place to stay if you have to be in the area. There is no elevator, so if you have trouble getting up stairs make sure to request a room on the ground floor.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pengysan
Troy, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

I arrived at 3am too tired to finish my drive home. The nightstand was upside down with clamps on it, used soap in the bathroom and of course filth where the nightstand should have been. I was tired, I wanted to sleep thought I'd just move things in my way and get sleep. The adjoining rooms TV was on, not loud but loud enough in a cheaply built hotel that I had to listen to it. At 8am I woke up not because of my alarm but due to hearing and feeling doors slam. The hotel is quite flimsy and the maid was running around checking rooms and letting the doors slam (after she turned the lock out). Guests in the hall, well it sounds like they're in your room. No sign to tell me how to turn on the ridiculous shower, nothing to figure out, they pointed out a sign on the lobby counter when I left not having taken one. Way too expensive at $84 for this, I'd expect $35 would be reasonable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank RoadWarrior47
shakeitsgreat
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

I don't often write scathing reviews. I realize that older hotels can be a little rough around the edges, and that some desk clerks have an off day, but really must say that this place is a rip off.

Long story short, price quoted on the phone was not reflected during my stay. I eventually checked out and moved up the road to a Courtyard in Kingston that was shopping mall adjacent and 10x better in 'quality' for a lower rate - for those of you who travel, you all know that a Comfort Inn should always be cheaper than a Courtyard, but not the Saugerties location.

The whole experience put such a bad taste in my mouth, I actually called Choice Hotels to file a complaint. the basically said it was between me and the owner - no offer to give me a free breakfast next time or any such attempt to even keep by future business.

The manager actually sent me a hand written letter (that I didn't receive until months later) again defending his position and called me "Confused." I was so offended by the whole experience that I hereby swear off all Choice Hotels - a chain that I was not so fond of to begin with.

Like I said before, I'm not much on complete dogging on a place if they don't completely deserve it. I am in a hotel more than 200 nights a year and often book accommodations for my colleagues and workers - Choice Hotels is officially dead to me. I will stay in a boutique before risking another smoke filled, dimply lit, roach din shined up as "affordable and convenient" that is the MO of Choice Hotels.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank shakeitsgreat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties
Courtyard Kingston
Courtyard Kingston
#3 of 10 in Kingston
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kingston Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Comfort Inn Saugerties? Share your experiences!