“Didn't honor our reservation, rude, charged us anyway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savona
Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Savona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife reserved a room for our family of four at least a month ago. Because they didn't send a confirmation, she followed up with a call. She told the owner that we were a family of four and the owner sent a confirmation by email that said "I look forward to meeting you all."
Today we called ahead as we were slightly delayed on the road. She told us she didn't accept children and that we weren't welcome to come, leaving us stranded for the night and scrambling to find alternative accommodation. Then she told my wife that we would still have to pay for the night.
Sensing my wife's exasperation, I spoke to the owner and said she couldn't possibly leave us stranded *and* pretend to charge us the night. The owner was unpleasant and aggressive and hung up the phone. Later, she sent my wife an email attempting to blame the unpleasant episode on her.
I've called the credit card company and they said she charged the room the moment we hung up.
The whole episode has left a really bitter taste in our mouths and we feel taken advantage of. At no time did the owner tell us that children were not welcome, even after my wife told her that we were a family of four. Her confirmation email did not state this either. The website does not prominently display that families aren't welcome. It is nowhere on the home page. You have to go deep into the small print on the site -- it's halfway down the second option in the fifth tab -- to find something that says that children over 12 are welcome but pets aren't.
If a business takes your money, I feel it's incumbent on them to warn you why they won't be able to provide the services you contracted. Even then, they shouldn't take your money while refusing to provide those services. Instead, the host wrote to us saying she was "distressed" by our "failure" to mention our children, accusing my wife of "withholding" the fact that we had kids. What on earth would we gain by this? Did she really expect four adults would be checking into a single room? I asked her and and she simply said yes.
Even if she refused to have us, a nicer person might have apologized for the misunderstanding and offered to help us find alternative accommodation. Instead, she added insult to injury by leaving us stranded, charging us anyway and then sending us a string of aggressive emails. Not the B&B experience you hope for.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Patrick H
halcyonplbb, Owner at Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Sir:

All of our guest policies and other information are easily accessible on the Halcyon Place website. Your wife did receive, within 24 hours, an email confirmation of your reservation, and I was not informed during subsequent emails or a telephone conversation that your group of four included a 2 and 4-year old. If I had been aware of this, I would not have accepted your reservation. The two-bedroom Tolbert Suite is available for up to four adults, and many families and friends have enjoyed the spacious suite. My bed and breakfast is not child-proofed, and consequently we welcome children age 12 and older.

It was clear during your telephone conversation that you were experiencing a stressful day; however, I must respect and honor my other guests' expectations and follow policies to ensure that all have an enjoyable stay at Halcyon Place.

Yvonne Allen
Owner, Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast

There are newer reviews for Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I graduated from Savona Central School and we recently had our 50th reunion. My wife found Halcyon Place while searching for a B&B near Savona. One of the best finds we've ever made. We collect antiques and she was like a kid in a candy store. I lived in Savona for the first 18 years of my life, but sitting on the porch enjoying a glass of wine, I saw the area from a different perspective. Very relaxing - I didn't want to leave. Staying there was like stepping back in time. Great room, great breakfast and Yvonne could not have been more accommodating. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I have spent many nights at Halcyon Place in the Finger Lakes and we are always so happy with the experience. The host /owner, Yvonne, is a just great and makes the stay at Halcyon Place one you will always remember and want to have again. The home is beautifully decorated and the breakfasts are wonderful. So, along with the convenient location, this is a highly recommended B&B.
Georgiana and Ted. Erie, Pa.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Situated close to Elmira ( city where Mark Twain is buried), Corning and Watkins Glen State Park, Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast is a hidden jewel. The rooms and bathrooms are all gorgeous with antiques everywhere, our bed was very comfortable and the breakfasts were elegant and unusual......have never had ebelskivers in a bed and breakfast before so they were a delightful surprise. And, because of my Danish uncle, I knew they were done perfectly. Yvonne was great to talk to and her barn filled with antiques was an added bonus as I found a bee skep for the beekeepers in the family and other appealing items to bring home. I highly recommend Halcyon Place to anyone looking for an relaxing sojourn. I have only one minor suggestion......a hairdryer, shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom would enhance the experience even further.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Houghton Room which had beautiful antiques and an elegantly decorated bathroom. The...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
halcyonplbb, Owner at Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

It was a delight hosting you at Halcyon Place. I greatly enjoyed our conversation, especially your insight into Civil War events. Thank you for the lovely review. I do apologize for not pointing out the large closet in your bath. There you would have located shampoo, conditioner and hair dryer.
I look forward to seeing you again!

All the best,
Yvonne

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed at Halcyon Place with friends for one night en route to Niagara Falls but wish we had more time to soak up the local scenery. We drove into nearby Corning (yes, the original home of Corning Ware) for dinner. Our hosts were wonderful, our beds comfortable and breakfast was sublime. We have no hesitation in recommending this delightful B&B to all explorers.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tolbert Suite which was quite adequate for 2 couples.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
halcyonplbb, Owner at Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. I just wanted you to know that your opinions and ideas are valued. Because of our wonderful post-breakfast conversation, i booked a flight to and hotel in Krakow for an incredible New Year's Eve! I love learning about the world through my bed and breakfast guests!!!
All the best,
Yvonne

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband I spent another anniversary night at Halcyon Place. This is our fourth and we always totally enjoy Yvonne and her lovely bed and breakfast. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the grounds inviting and the breakfasts a gormets delight. We would definately recommend this place to anyone and hope to return for a fifth anniversary night. (We were married 35 years this year and Halcyon and the area are a great place to celebrate this or any event.

Room Tip: rooms upstairs have amazing antiques and are spacious. However, the downstairs room is very nice an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

From the carefully curated antiques to her delicious lemon verbena tea and fresh-picked herb and goat cheese omelette, Yvonne creates a warm and welcoming experience in a spectacular setting that will not be forgotten. Fantastic! We'll be back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bath
Super 8 Bath Hammondsport Area
Best Western Plus The Hammondsport Hotel
Radisson Hotel Corning
Staybridge Suites Corning
Holiday Inn Express Painted Post - Corning Area

Been to Halcyon Place Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!