“A Place is only as good as its manager, well this place should be the dumps with the trash you see and hear her do”

Popei's Clam Bar & Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Sayville, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was completely turned off by how the manager spoke to a certain employees, and then how she would talk behind the persons back with other employees . Unprofessional conduct and management. Not the first time ive seen her do this but this was just uncalled for. Good help wont stay here because it so unprofessional, servers come and go but the crappy ones stay. Food good but with poor service(only 2 waitress are great) not worth the money. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL MANAGER, AND A COUPLE SERVERS. They should be thrown out like the DIGUSTING TRASH they are. Shame because place would be better with proper managment.never going back

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank yngbld

Gansevoort, New York
“Disappointed in the seafood but otherwise very good.”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was in town on business and asked some coworkers where the best informal seafood restaurant was in the area and they recommended here. I sat at the bar and ordered a salad, Surf and Turf (whole lobster and a sirloin steak) which comes with potato and vegetable. The portions of all of them were quite large and really could have easily fed two hungry people. The salad was very good, mashed potatoes and vegetable were good, the steak was pretty tasty. The only disappointment was the lobster....the main reason I came here! It was tough and tasteless. Either it had been frozen too long and or boiled too long but even the melted butter (which I had to request since it didn't come with it) didn't help much with the taste. I suppose this could have been a fluke and I wouldn't rule out giving them another try but I was pretty disappointed that the only thing I didn't like was the very thing they are supposed to specialize in! The bartender was very nice and attentive but she seemed to be struggling with the kitchen staff to get things right...not just with my order but for others eating at the bar too.

• Visited June 2013
“New favorite place!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Excellent all around! Food was fresh and tasty! Service was excellent! So much food...come hungry! It's our new favourite restaurant! Everyone in our party was pleased.

• Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Decent, Solid Food, AWESOME Service.”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

It's a huge menu to take in. When I asked my server what would be her choice between the Baked Stuffed Shrimp or Shrimp Francaise; she said she was sure the chef would make me a platter with both selections on it. And he did. I really enjoyed what I had and the Sangria offered a lively kick to it. The lobster empanada appetizer was so- so, but the free basket of garlic bread was sensational. If you're on a date, make sure you both have some...it's loaded with fresh garlic!! The place could use a freshening up, but for a good solid meal, the choices are endless.

• Visited March 2013
East Patchogue, New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Took advantage of an Amazon $30 to spend for $15 coupon and on our first visit to Popei's my wife and I both ordered the clam bellies platter: clam bellies, fries and coleslaw . Considering the extensive seafood menu they offer we felt they would do a good job with this entree. Not so. Very disappointing. The clams were all fried to a hardness best measured on the Rockwell scale. Fries were acceptable but they forgot the coleslaw so I can't comment on that. Maybe we were lucky. The restaurant is large but only a few customers on a Monday night. Atmosphere is dark and dreary. I say "average" only because we only tried one item, which by itself was "poor".

• Visited January 2013