“Great local restaurant / bar”
Review of Blackbirds Grill

Blackbirds Grill
Ranked #13 of 54 Restaurants in Sayville
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Holbrook, New York
“Great local restaurant / bar”
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Purchased a Living Social Coupon so figured I give it try. I was very happy with the overall experience. Food was very good but portions could have been a little bigger. I was able to satisfy my remaining hunger with very good deserts. Atmosphere was causal but nice and the service was very good. Great for couples, drinks with friends, or with your family. I look forward to going back soon. Definitely worth a try!

Rocky Point, New York
“Nothing special...”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I could have skipped this place. It was your typical bar/pub food trying to be something else. We went here before a show at a local theater on a Sunday for lunch. Very pricey as well! My burger although sizable had no taste. The French Onion Soup was the most enjoyable part of my meal, however, I didn't expect to pay $6 for a small crock at such a place. Those with me felt the same way. It was overpriced pub food that was not tasty at all. Service was just ok. I will not be returning.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank kjp5
Florida, U.S.A.
“revisited”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The place seems to have an identity crisis whether they are a restaurant or a bar. Previously the food was excellent if pricey, now just pricey and the food was awful. Effort seemed to be lacking in the kitchen and rushed. the staff seems to be interested in the regulars no one else. Not much separation between the bar and the eating area so be prepared to have drunks wandering around while you are trying to eat. the place seems to be a sports bar, little else. very disappointing since my previous trip a few years ago. The prices are insane for pub food.

• Visited September 2012
Shoreham, New York
“Stopped in for $7 lunch”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We first noticed the $7 LUNCH sign Blackbird's looked like a nice place so why not. Basically a local bar with tables to eat at. Appeared clean with plenty of seating available dimly lit with large local scenery photos decorating the dining area was quite nice. Lunch board was brought over and my wife chose a wrap which she enjoyed. My self I went off the board and with a shrimp po-boy . I was rather pleased with the size of it with 4 rather ex-large butterfly shrimp on a nice fresh roll of some sort,it came with fries which were also unique with their crunchy topping. Had to have the key lime pie for dessert which was said to be homemade and it did taste like it.

• Visited October 2012
Patchogue, New York
“Blackbirds on the blacklist”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Looking for an alternative to the chain establishments, we gave this place a try. First impression was pretty good, food was tasty, but priced a little on the high side. After that, my family and I gave this place about a half dozen chances, but it got progressively worse.

First, feels like you have to be a regular here, or a local. Every time we went in, the people sitting at the bar stop what they are doing to see who came in, and then look you up and down in a very uncomfortable fashion before returning to their conversations and spirits. No problem, I am there for dinner, don't care what they think. Wait staff seemed each time to be very robotic and fast paced. Lacking personality, "what do you want to eat/drink, hers's your food, here's your check, don't forget my tip, get out."

Food quality deteriorated with each visit. Once found a fried bug in my food that they told me was just leftover bits from the grill. I had a salad. What I found had antennas and eyes. Yeah, leftover from the grill alright. But, hey, they took that part off the bill. Nice of them, I guess.

Finally, went there tonight for a quiet dinner with my wife. Final mistake. Started out okay, then they seated a party of eight guys, loud, boisterous, rowdy, rude, and just got worse. Asked the manager to please ask them to keep it down, which they never did, but told me that they could move us to another table across the room. Real good, they are causing the uproar, and ask me to move. Last straw.

Sorry Blackbirds, I am siding with the others on this list. Thumbs down. Recommend skipping this place for sure.