“Don't miss their yummy seafood appetizers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Za'Za' Restaurant - CLOSED

Za'Za' Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
San Diego, California
“Don't miss their yummy seafood appetizers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Overall I had an enjoyable dining experience at this Italian place in Scarsdale with my family in early March 2014.

The best part of the meal were the two appetizers we ordered. The fried calamari was excellent - it was just lightly breaded and tasted lightly fried, so it did not feel greasy at all. The clams appetizer was excellent as well - the clams were fresh and tasty and the sauce was excellent. Be warned though - the clam appetizer dish is slightly spicy since they put some hot peppers in the sauce.

My main dish was good,but not as good as the appetizers. I had the cavatelli - basically it tasted like macaroni and cheese. It was very tasty, though the sauce was on the heavy side. My main criticism of that dish was the lack of crabmeat - according to the menu, it is supposed to come with crab meat,but there were very few flakes of crabmeat in that dish.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was overall casual but pleasant. The service was decent, though the kitchen was quite slow on the night we went (ok, it was 7 pm on a Sat night).

• Visited March 2014

Scarsdale, New York
“Casual hip spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent pizza. Good wine by the glass. Run well. Worth a try. One of the better casual places on busy central ave

• Visited January 2014
Westchester
“Delicious Pasta!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

First, let me start by saying I don't even really like pasta and I rarely eat it. I usually follow more of a paleo diet. However, at my first visit to this restaurant I was drawn to an artichoke pasta dish along with my salad and red wine. WOW! Was that pasta delicious! The nuances of flavor were magnificent. This restaurant is a keeper. They serve wonderful, skillful, fresh and authentic italian food. Highly reconmmended!

• Visited July 2013
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

The restaurant was far too 'special' for children - the menu alternative rather than plain, simple Italian food which is what we were looking for. They also had run out of lemonade and had the awesome choices (for kids) of mango or pineapple juices!

• Visited December 2013
Scarsdale, New York
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

When asked what she wanted for her 11th birthday dinner celebration, my granddaughter, taking a couple of days to make this monumental decision, replied Italian food!!

I didn't really want to go to our usual pizza and pasta place and our "go to" places are a bit too sophisticated for an 11 year old, I looked for a place casual enough for kid but with a menu that appeals to the adult palate. Za Za came to mind for several reasons - a nice varied menu, decent wine list, and some atmosphere.

My wife and son shared an Insalata Cesare (Caesar salad) which was fine. I had the Insalata Mista (House salad) which I ordered without dressing so I could dress it simply with olive oil and balsamic vinegar - a nice start to the meal.

The dinners followed consisting of Pizze Trianon for my son, a nice take on a Margherita - served as an individual pizza - large enough that some of it was taken home. The Gemelli pasta dish was served al dente (just as it should be) and though not something I would order, my wife loved it. The pasta pomodoro for my daughter-in-law was also well prepared but kind of boring. I had the stuffed pork chop which was prepared with a spinach, mozzarella, and herb stuffing and served over mashed potatoes. The chop was very nice and was big enough to take about a third of it home. The mashed potatoes where done really well - not whipped to a mush and actually had a lump or two in the serving - very nice. I would have liked a green vegetable with it as well, but alas !!!

The guest of honor ordered the salmon from the main menu. A minor glitch here - she ordered it medium and it came out a little too rare. She was horrified (ahh - to be 11 again) so I called the waiter over and asked that the salmon be put back for a few minutes to get it where she wanted it - a short wait until it was re-served. The fish is described on the menu as being crusted with potato but I guess she read that as being served with potatoes and was a bit disappointed that there were no potatoes on the plate but I suppose she liked the dish well enough because, before I knew it, her plate was empty.

Service was attentive but a little slow and as a result, we ate a little too much bread - which, by the way, is crusty, fresh, and warm and served with a spiced herb infused oil.

As this was our first visit we really just had to hope for the best and it turned out pretty well. We will be back.

I would like to rate it 4 but, since I gave it no fives and there is a 3 for the slow service, it falls a tad short of 4 but it is an enjoyable place, so by all means - give it go.

• Visited December 2013