“Lively, comfy, and delicious...”
Review of Aperitivo Bistro

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway
Description: In the center of downtown Schenectady, situated next to the historic Proctors Theater, lies Aperitivo Bistro, consistently named the best restaurant in downtown Schenectady. Italian for "small plates", Aperitivo Bistro is the ultimate Italian fusion style restaurant with menu selections ranging from small plates, perfect for sharing, specialty pizzas, and fabulous home made pasta dishes to larger traditional Italian selections. Come and enjoy the variety of flavors Aperitivo Bistro has to offer!
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We really enjoyed our first visit to Aperitivo on a recent Sunday evening -- we reserved for 5:30 because of a 7:30 curtain at Proctor's Theatre, a couple of doors down the street, and are really glad we did. By 6:00 or a little later the place had filled with diners who all seemed to be enjoying themselves, as indeed we were too. The place is surprisingly big -- three rooms that we saw, one of which being closed off for the night, and the decor is that of a skillfully-renovated urban space.

Madame had an arugula spring mix salad -- very nicely-dressed, I can report, as I had a little of it myself; my Caesar salad was terrific. Veal parm on her side of the table for a main dish, and pappardelle bolognese on my side: on my first visit to an Italian restaurant I like to order bolognese just to see what it tells me about what's going on in the kitchen, and in this case the news was all good. Both main dishes, in fact, were first-rate; a nice Momo New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and espresso rounded out the festivities, and all were served in a prompt and friendly manner. Even though the place was hammered with pre-theatre diners, the staff kept things moving, and we left very happy at around 6:45.

Aperitivo is not cheap, although top-end prices on main dishes are partly balanced out by quite reasonable prices on starters and wines. And the kitchen very definitely rewards your investment. In all, Schenectady made an excellent stopover -- the grand old Proctor's Theatre, our Hampton Inn, and several really promising dining options are all there on, or near, State Street within a few steps. We hope to be back, and Aperitivo will definitely have a place on the schedule.

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I've eaten here a couple of times with other couples (their idea) and was underwhelmed both times. The food is ok, the portions are small but what isn't small are the prices. The last straw was last summer when my wife and I were looking to get dinner before a show and we looked at the menu, the cheapest main dish was $28 and it was chicken. I'm not sure what they think has elevated them to a place where they can charge $28 for chicken and in Schenectady of all places. We won't be going back and if their pricing continues I imagine they might not be there to go back to.

2  Thank Anthony W
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have been to the Aperitivo Bistro almost 12 times since it opened and have a wonderful experience each and every time I visit. The pizzas are to die for like the Margherita, Triple Cheese or the Rabe & Sausage. For dinner, my favorite is Horseradish Crusted Salmon with Glazed Golden Beets - delicious. Service is always exceptional and the drink/wine selections are great.

My only gripe about this place is the parking. I would have visited here many more times (2-3x) if the parking was more convenient. I tend to go early where I can get a spot in one of the 'lucky spots' right in front of the place. If it wasn't for the parking, I would rate this place as excellent. Angelo - you know me as I go to all of your other restaurants - 677, Prime, Clifton Park, Glen Sanders, etc. Fix the parking here and watch your sales increase dramatically.

1  Thank STEBAY711
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The Friday night we had dinner there they had a wonderful trio. And great service.This bistro is very popular with the theatre going crowd so the 6:30 seating is always booked. We enjoyed sharing the small plates- the Baba Ghanoush was some of the best I have had in along time and the fresh bacon with tomatoes on baguette was also a culinary hit. However, the pasta plates were a disappointment. The pasta Amatriciana was just a huge unappetizing mound of pasta with little sauce as was the butternut squash and pasta. Both of which were a shame because there was enough pasta piled on the two plates to feed a family of four.

2  Thank Lore Y
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We took a chance on a Friday night and were able to slip into the last 2 seats at the bar. The place was hopping at 6:00 with a jazz trio and great ambiance. The wine selection was wonderful (I tried 3 different white wines, all delicious) and DH had local beer which he really liked. We shared a caesar salad, which came with nice shavings of parmesan and big old croutons, then on to the entrees.

I had the scallops with fingerling potatoes and creamed corn which was just delicious--perfectly caramelized scallops which were huge. DH got the pasta with brussel sprouts and butternut squash--it's way better than it sounds! Nice and garlicky and a good sized serving.

Topped off with really good coffee. I'd recommend this place any time.

The bartenders were very friendly and efficient--needed as this joint was jumping--but they never made us feel rushed or made us wait. They also gave us the "scoop" on the show and were just plain entertaining to watch, all while listening to soft jazz.

The restrooms were very nice and clean, and I loved the fact that there was an old phone booth converted to a "quiet cell phone booth" where you could hold a conversation without yelling.

The building was an historic building, right next to Proctor's, which had been nicely redone while retaining the wood and brick. I will definitely return! Get a reservation if you want to dine before a show--don't count on luck like we did!

1  Thank Gwen D