“Don't just drive by!”

Price range: US$0 - US$10
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: This cafe opened in 2012
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I’ve passed this café often in my travels through Schenectady and this afternoon, after a stultifying day of “staff development,” a colleague and I stopped in to recharge our batteries. My friend has raved about this place for months and when we entered, we were the only patrons. I noticed that the café closes at three and it was 2:15. (I worked as a waitress all through college and grad school and I always hate to be the last people in a restaurant.) We were welcomed with open arms and assurances that even if we had opened the door at 3:00, they would be honored to have us. The staff seems to really like each other and that kind of camaraderie creates a really nice atmosphere.

I wasn’t starving, so I just had a bowl of lobster bisque, one of the daily soup specials. It was delicious, although a splash more sherry wouldn’t have gone amiss! My friend ordered a cup of chicken and vegetable soup (“the ultimate comfort food,” according to her) and a Greek salad, which she graciously agreed to share with me when my brain revived my appetite.
The salad was a work of art—a symphony of fresh greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, pepperoncini, olives, red onions and dolmades, topped with two slabs of the finest feta cheese I have ever sunk my choppers into. The dressing came in a little cup on the side and I could taste the oregano for several hours after—lovely! Just what the doctor ordered for a dreary day in late January.

The café was sparkling clean, the service friendly and efficient, the food was delicious and again—that “family atmosphere.” There was nothing NOT to love.

I can’t wait to go back with my husband when I’m really, really hungry.

4  Thank Lori12309

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We were looking for a place to have Saturday brunch and found Union Café on Trip Advisor. There was a five minute wait and the place was busy the entire time we were there.

Prices are extremely reasonable. Our party of three had an egg sandwich on a hard roll, scrambled eggs with toast and a hamburger with fries. All of us finished our meals. We bought a homemade blueberry muffin to go and it was one of the best muffins we've ever had.

Service as friendly and warm. Our waitress took the time to chat with us and we were served promptly.

There is parking in the back of the restaurant, which is accessed through a very narrow driveway.

We would definitely return!

1  Thank MexicoCat
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Friendly staff serves well prepared dishes, and will accommodate you if you would like substitution of a side item. Reasonable prices and a bottomless coffee cup.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I've had breakfast and lunch here and have recommended it to friends who are now regulars.
Came with a group of coworkers for lunch one day and we were all pleased with the meal and service.
I ordered the Greek salad. It was fresh, and beautiful, with large slabs of feta cheese. So, so good! The cheese was far more than I could eat, especially at lunch.
The atmosphere is bright, clean, and cheerful. Prices are good and it's obvious the owners take a lot of pride in their restaurant.
One tip to the owners: Get rid of the TV on the wall. It's distracting when we're dining and it's the one thing pulling the atmosphere down. I know it's the hip thing, but seriously, you don't need it. Just because lame-O Applebees has TV doesn't mean you need to.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

1st time at this establishment. Great service, great food, friendly and accommodating waitstaff. My friend and I were so comfortable, we overstayed. Cafe closes 2p on Sundays and we were not aware. We lingered until 3p, realized the closing time and apologized. Never once during this time did the staff advise us were past closing time.

As far as double take deals, pjglf10 would have been able to get the money back from double take deals because the Cafe refused to honor.

As a small business owner, I have used these deal sites to promote my business.

I recommend Union Cafe as a go to place.

Been to Union Cafe? Share your experiences!