All reviewsboutique hotelold charmfull kitchenbanquet spacegreat parkingattending a concertdoor codeproctors theatrefriendly front desk stafflots of characterfarmers marketright next doorstandard roomconvenient locationparking lot isbed was very comfortablea great place to stay
Reviewed 26 September 2017

Nice room with kitchenette, spacious spa shower, comfy queen bed.

However, on the 3rd floor with NO elevator (it was out of order). Small narrow back stair case. This was not mentioned when booking or confirming room reservations.

Parking was in back with a bit of a walk to get in the building.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol J
Reviewed 25 August 2017

You know you've had either a good or bad experience when you can’t wait to write a review (which I rarely do). I had many problems with this place:

1. When I arrived the desk clerk said "Did 'they' tell you that the elevator is out of service?" "How long?" I asked. "Oh, it will be a while. Here are your room keys on the fourth floor." Not fun lugging bags up the narrow stairwell.

2. The parking lot is behind the building, and to get there you have to walk through a long mall, easily 500 feet or more. No problem the night I checked in. Next morning, though, on my way to my car, I found the doors to the parking lot LOCKED. So I walked back the 500 feet to the desk and asked if they could unlock the doors. He said "Let’s go see" and wanted me to walk back there with him. "Do you have a key to unlock it?" I asked. At first he didn't answer. When I asked again, he admitted he did not have the key, so he wanted me to make the round trip again, to prove something I already knew, with no ability to fix it. Not smart.

3. They did not change the towels.

4. The faucet in the bathroom leaked. I told the front desk and they said they'd fix it. Guess what? They didn't.

5. No hot food for breakfast, other than waffles (if you like lots of carbs).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank David M
Andrew S, Manager at The Parker Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

We apologize your stay with us was unpleasant, we will be happy to refund the cost. If you would like reach out to us, we can address each of your concerns and arrange return of your payment.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

This is an historic hotel in downtown Schenectady right next door to Proctors - a very old movie theatre that is now a cultural attraction. The room was OK - but it appeared they had removed the old TV from the entertainment center and never dusted where it had been - we cleaned that ourselves. The room could use some updating - the floor was a laminate wood flooring that looked like it had water damage. Our room looked out to a brick wall - there are 4 rooms to a floor and only 1 looks out the front. But - we were not there for the view out the window! The housekeeping staff were friendly - but the people at the front desk did not even look up when we would come in the front door or side door! The "breakfast" consisted of 1 waffle iron and maybe some batter (both mornings we were there they either ran out or had not made it yet), some cereal bowls, yogurt, and a few snacky things. Parking was free which was great - a little hard to find at first, but safe and secure. The lone elevator broke while we were there - thankfully, we were only on the 3rd floor and did not need to haul too much luggage.

Room Tip: If you care about a view be sure to ask - many rooms look out to a brick wall.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and providing a review of your experience. We regret our breakfast was lacking. Our biggest regret was a poor reception from our reception. We have spoken with staff and are making strides to engage with our guests at all times.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We just stayed here twice for a summer camp at Union College. I selected the Parker Inn because I value the experience and architecture of an historical building and accept the quirks and inconveniences that come with a small historical hotel priced below $150 a night.

My review is based on the value for the money - we like having a sink,
stovetop and even a dishwasher (although there was only one small pan to use and very limited silverware) and most importantly for a traveling family: there is a full size refrigerator and space - space to spread out.

The cons of an historical hotel in upstate NY are that the common areas aren't air conditioned - apparently a common trait in these parts but a bit shocking to someone from the south. Room air conditioning seemed to be a combination of window units and a central AC system depending on the room. Historic wooden floors are covered with modern flooring but creak and groan from decades of use and the windows allow the urban sounds to reach you. If you are a white glove inspector you will likely find something to complain about but as my wife said, you expect that when you stay at a historic off-chain hotel.

There are a number of options for food within walking distance and we enjoyed seeing a movie at the historical Proctor Theater next door and had a fun and very unique dinner at Tara. There is a CVS across the street and you can grab a decent slice of pizza for lunch and we did have dinner at Johnny's across the street on a lively Saturday night. This is a small urban setting so there are the typical sights and sounds one expects in that environment - the town is clean but has urban elements that make one want to aware.

The breakfast is small and there is not a huge selection and you may have to let the front desk know that something needs to be replenished. I suspect that the scale of the hotel is limiting in terms of their ability to support a larger staff so the front desk does everything but clean the rooms - just ask - they were very accommodating.

Bottom line: a convenient, quirky experience that met our needs and even allowed for a culture experience with the adjoining theater.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank smvm
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Stayed one night at this hotel. Loved the retro feel and decor. Ryan, the manager on duty was very friendly and helpful. Our room has a queen bed, refrigerator, and stove. (we didn't use any of them) Convenient location to restaurants and shops. We enjoyed sitting in the breakfast room in the evening chatting. Right next door to Proctor Theater. Loved the movie memorabilia on display in area between hotel and theater. Included breakfast was not great, but it didn't take away from the feel of the hotel. (That's why the rating was a 4) Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family