“Somewhat disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 2 Schenectady B&B and Inns
new york
“Somewhat disappointed”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at this B&B back in February of 2014. We love the Historic Stockade area and was excited about this B&B located within the Stockade. However, we were sadly disappointed.. we checked in mid-afternoon, the room was nice and quaint, but very cold until late evening,No tea and cookies in the afternoon, which is typically a 'usual' at B&B's. The breakfast was not good.... ham quiche, we don't like ham, and the coffee was poor, tasted like it was brewed from an old Mr. Coffee... This was not the breakfast quality that would expect or that we have been used to at other B&B's. In addition to the high rate we were already paying for the room off seaon, we were charged an additional $20 more than what was quoted on the phone, but we didn't want to make an issue of it. I requested a confirmation when I booked the room, but did not receive one. We would not go back or recommend. Regretfully, this experience was VERY upsetting to us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fawn761

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in the HUGE Martha room (pictured on this page) with very comfortable bed, sitting area, and semi-private bathroom. The bathroom does have a door to another bedroom, but no one else was staying at the time of our stay. The door joining our room to the bathroom did not have a latch or lock, though, so we were happy to have the place to ourselves! We also had access to a mini fridge right outside of our room. Wonderful breakfast provided with fresh fruit, huge egg casserole, sweet muffin, juice, and coffees. Virginia was helpful in providing suggestions for dinner. We also were permitted to bring our small (< 20 lb) dog with us to stay in the room for a fee ($15). Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Carrie T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Bed was so big I needed a stool to get in it! I stayed in the front room in the summer so there was some street noise but it didn't go late. Service could not have been better. I arrived earlier than expected yet I was well taken care of. Loved the breakfast! The location can't be beat. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mkptoronto
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed 1 night. Had room on 2nd floor at top of 1 flight of stairs. The room was HUGE! Used to be the ballroom of the house. Had big bathroom, kitchen area with mini-frig, sink, table with 2 chairs, living room area with couch, easy chairs and fireplace, and bedroom area with 1 queen bed. French doors opened out to large deck area. Whole room was spotlessly clean. TV worked fine. Plenty of counter space in bathroom. Very quiet at night. Lovely breakfast in dining room-fresh fruit, juice of choice, creme brulee french toast, coffee or choice of teas. Plenty of street parking.

Room Tip: Stairs to second floor-no elevator. 1st floor room has no private bathroom within the room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mmaryw
falmouth
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Huge rooms, with refrig, sink, microwave in hallway, TV, DVD player (with a dvd library available), desk, sofa, and a bathroom in the room. Nice breakfast-more than you can eat! Keep in mind that you can request a healthy breakfast (like yogurt, cereal, fruit, etc.) instead of a gourmet breakfast. Virginia was helpful and the location was top-notch. It's also walking distance from the train.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed three nights. As other reviewers have noted the inn is old (build in the late 1700s) but clean. Our TV didn't work well, but the beds were very comfortable and the breakfasts were excellent. there is some noise in the spring and summer with windows open - but not too bad.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mms30
Verona, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at the English Garden Bed and Breakfast for one night while visiting family in the Stockade section of Schenectady. The innkeeper, Virginia, welcomed me warmly when I arrived and showed me to my room. The only thing about my room is that I was told, when I reserved, that I would be in the Martha Room. I was checked into the Ellice Room -- a room on the lower level at the front of the house, which does not have a bathroom within the room. Guests staying in the Ellice Room need to walk down the hall to use the bathroom on the lower level. Be sure to confirm that you want a private bath and re-confirm when you are checking in. It was fine overall -- I was the only person using the bathroom and I was staying only one night.

The room had a TV and plenty of light for reading. The bed was comfortable with blankets, pillows and quilts a-plenty.

Breakfast was delicious! Virginia asked ahead of time if I had any food preferences or limitations, so I felt well cared for. She served an au gratin egg dish with fresh melon, juice and coffee. Very satisfying and more than I could finish!

Books and local tourist brochures abound if you arrive wishing for something to read.

Highly recommend that you make reservations well in advance, especially around holidays or local events.

Beautiful B&B -- I do recommend that you give it a try!

Room Tip: Ellice Room is on the first floor, front of house just as you enter the front door. I would not reco...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family