“Charming & Elegant”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Schenectady
Geneva NY
“Charming & Elegant”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My positive impression of the Stockade Inn began months before I actually stayed there. Due to work and schedule complications, I probably called to change my reservations no less than six times. It actually got to be embarassing after while, but each time the person who answered the phone joked with me and handled the changes easily.

As I arrived at the Inn, a small jazz band was also arriving to set up to play in the small lounge. I wondered how this would work in such a small room, I was afraid that it would be way too loud and intrusive but no need to worry - the group obviously knew the room and played at a volume that was absolultely perfect.

Entering the front door, I was immediately struck by the beautiful old style elegance of the entry way and immediate spaces. Lots of dark old wood, and plush couches in that lounge/sitting room area. Really, it is a grand old home rather than a "hotel".

I was greeted warmly and given an actual KEY to my room. (When's the last time you got an actual key and not a piece of plastic??) And i was thrilled to find that there was a small elevator to the sleeping rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors since my suitcase was pretty heavy. (The elevator is a piece of history itself - one of those old scissor gate deals that looks to be about as old as the house itself. Very cool!!)

There is a small bar off the front sitting room and i noticed that the bar's surface was actually hammered copper. The seating area in the bar is full of low, comfortable "club chairs" - probably a nod to the building's history as an exclusive men's club.

My sleeping room was absolutely darling! I had one of the smaller rooms (no need for a suite or anything like that, i was just sleeping there while attending a conference) and it truly felt like sleeping in my grandmother's guest room - if my grandmother's guest room had air conditioning, a TV and a private bathroom, that is"!). The bed spread was not one of those generic hotel types - it had the look and feel of a family heirloom. The bed was amazingly comfortable. And the air conditioner was very quiet and effective - a definite plus during the recent heat wave that rolled through our area!

The continental breakfast each morning was a definite plus. Fruit, yougurt, bagels, cereal. breakfast bars, pastry, juices and coffee.

I explored the rest of the house and found medium and large banquet rooms and of course that amazing billiard room. All were definitely servicable as occassion rooms but did not have that institutional feel that you find in your basic Holiday Inn banquet room.

The only negative i would have to mention is the shower in my room. The pressure was pretty low and it was a bit difficult to adjust the temperature. Had i been staying there any longer i probably would have asked if there was something they could do. But really, it was perfectily servicable for what i needed.

I ate one meal in the dining room with a friend from the conference and we were both impressed with our meals. The menu is not huge, but the selections are diverse and everything looked tempting. The service was a bit "liesurely" given the fact that there were few tables filled on a Thursday night. But we were not in a hurry and i am sure if we'd requested it the pace would have been sped up. As it was, we were really more there to talk and catch up than rushing through a meal. So it was a fine pace for our needs. Others attending the same conference ate at the Stockade Inn on various occassions and everyone had great things to say about the food.

I am planning a conference in Schenectady in 2013 and am disappointed that this wonderful old house only has 35 rooms. We need many more than that. I will certainly recommend this as an alternate to our host hotel and hope that a few of our attendees are able to enjoy the ambiance and charm of the Stockade Inn!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KarenGeneva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Peoria, AZ
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Our stay at the Stockade Inn was perfect...From the warm welcome (we arrived after 11 PM), the historic majesty of the building and a flawless wedding experience to a delicious Sunday Brunch, our experience was great ! Everyone at the Stockade Inn was very helpful and knowledgeable and above all, treated us very well. Our room was nicely decorated in a period style, was clean and comfortable...What more could you ask for ?
Even though it was a multi-wedding weekend, we felt as if the one we attended was the only one !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kalola02
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2010

My wife and I recently had the great pleasure and honor of attending both a wedding ceremony and reception at the beautiful Stockade Inn - and can honestly say that it was one of the most beautiful wedding events we can ever remember attending...

The Inn itself is gorgeous and can best be described as 400 years of history, wrapped in a bow of celebration. In a world filled with pre-fabrication - the old world feel and detail of the Inn is refreshing to say the least...

The Ceremony itself was beautifully decorated - and the food and drink that followed was well worth the wait.... the buffet alone would have satisfied the pallets of all invited guests...but then I would've missed out on one fo the most brilliantly cooked pieces of meat I've ever had the pleasure of eating...

And the staff was fantastic... courteous, attentive and accomodating... especially to my 11 year old who applauded when a personal pizza was delivered to the table fresh from the oven.

And as you might expect from a building steeped in history, the bartender not only
poured you the drinks, but also entertained you with tall tales and a joke or two.

The entertainment and wedding cupcakes accented the event perfectly - maing for a perfect evening...

If you're looking to throw a special event - or need a romantic night out with a loved one... then the Stockade Inn is the palce for you.

Christopher Conto

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chrisconto
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I recently attended a formal event at the Stockade Inn and was very impressed with the entire experience. The Stockade is a beautiful neighborhood located on the Mohawk River in Schenectady that is full of 100-200 year old houses. Being the owner of a 100 year old home I was immediately impressed with the elegant look of the building. There were so much detail to the building that you just don't see in modern structures. You truly felt as though you'd stepped back in time. The event itself was perfect. The entire wait staff was friendly and very atttentive during our visit. The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert. with a selection that could please just about anyone. The room we stayed in fit in perfectly with the rest of the building, the details of old with the comforts of today. I would definitely reccomend to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karlrox
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 21 October 2010

What can I say? When you're planning to get married, as I'm sure any bride and groom knows, you spend A LOT of time searching for the perfect location. In my month+ search I finally came across The Stockade Inn on a random online search. It looked beautiful in the pictures, but... you just never know until you try it out for yourself.
So, my fiance and I decided to try it out by eating dinner there. We were absolutely blown away. Both the service and the food were fantastic! The staff was professional and courteous and seemed genuinely interested in our overall experience. The food... oh boy... the food!! I can't say enough about how good it is. So, we decided to take the plunge and hold our wedding at The Stockade Inn.
To say it was a perfect experience doesn't seem descriptive enough. Although mine was not the only wedding there that weekend, I never felt ignored or slighted in any way. All of my requests were taken care of without any intervention from me. I only had to have one meeting with Jeff just before the big day, and he and his staff pulled it off beautifully. The wedding was lovely, and the reception was great. Hot AND cold hors d'oeuvres and great entree choices. Everything was presented and cooked perfectly. The room was beautiful and the timing on everything was right on. We even stayed in one of the suites... it was quiet, comfortable, romantic and had everything we could possibly want.
Overall, I would say, whether you're looking for a nice place to have dinner or a place to sleep in a beautiful historic district... or, even if you're looking for a place to host the most important day of your life. Look no further than The Stockade Inn. The staff made us feel like part of their family. And, they can look forward to having us over for dinner for years to come.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CrowsFeat
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I was recently at the Stockade Inn for my sister's wedding.

We both reserved Suites months ago knowing that the groomsmen would have one room and the bridesmaids would have the other.

My suite was the one to have the bride and all of her guests.

When I checked in there was water pouring from both ends of the air conditioner.

I promptly told the management about the problem and they did have someone in to take care of it.

The person they brought in proceeded to flirt with me asking me what I was in "town for" and if I was "married" making it impossible for me to be in my room.

I went back several times and the same man was there.

When I came back from the rehearsal dinner thankfully he was gone but the carpet was soaked through 1/3 of the room and nothing had been done about it.

The next morning I again informed the management there was a problem - this was to be the bride's room and the carpet was soaked.

I left for brunch and when I came back there was an old fan I can only guess was dug out of a basement blowing aimlessly onto the air conditioner.

I ended up asking the housekeeping staff for additional towels to put on the floor to soak up some of the water.

When I checked out I said "I assume there will be a discount for the room" - as is normal for this type of nonsense - I was told someone would call me.

I've called the Inn twice and I'm still waiting for a response.

It's not about money - principle.

Perhaps the McDonald family should get one property right before they expand more.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
York, NY
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My son and I stayed here while visiting a local college. Christine was exceptionally cordial in arranging our stay, and my son and I both agreed that the food and service in the dining room was world class. The historic neighborhood and park are quaint and the locals seemed quite friendly. I would recommend this historic inn to anyone needing a place to stay and dine when in the Schenectady/Albany area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business