“An excellant Dining Experience”
Review of George Mann Tory Tavern - CLOSED

George Mann Tory Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The George Mann Tory Tavern provides a great dining experience for any special occasion or just a great night out. Reasonable prices, excellent food and service and a stately historic building with great ambiance. It is going to become a regular outing for my wife and I.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

What an interesting, quaint place to dine! A group of four of us went on a Friday night & enjoyed the entire 2 hours. The food, the service...Oh, and I cannot forget the desert. For $45, from the start of the meal to the end...it was GREAT!

1  Thank ksimm1969
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Where to start? Let me first say that the Tory Tavern's owners will be retiring in August 2013, so if you haven't been here at all or haven't been in a while, then you should go soon. They will be searching for another restaurant owner to take over. I haven't been here in two years, and was not disappointed. Onto our experience.

Our server (Rich) was very nice, new the menu, seated us immediately, was there when we needed something, but not hovering around us every minute of our meal - top notch! Our dining room had about 10 tables (about half were filled on a Thursday night) and was not overly crowded. The decor is nice. If you ever get the chance to eat downstairs in the stone floor pub with working fireplace, jump on that opportunity.

We opted for the complete meal (app, soup, salad, sorbet, entree, dessert, coffee for $45. Our stuffed portabella and smoked trout with crepe appetizers were awesome. Our creamy chicken corn chowder and sausage and bean soup were awesome. Salads with (I'm assuming) homemeade dressings were fresh and delicious. The wife's chicken piccatta with sauteed shrimp - excellent! My strip steak and carmelized onions - amazing. We could have and should have stopped there, but opted to eat dessert. Our lemon pie with sugar cookie crust and chocolate mocha torte/cake were awesome.

Complete meal for two with five adult drinks came to $115 before tax and tip. So, it's more expensive than pub grub, but ya know what? This is more than pub grub. It's a great dining experience. Save up some cash and treat yourself. It's worth every penny and more.

3  Thank Long_time_local
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Seems as if the owners just don't care anymore. With the exception of the stuffed trout, our dinners were just okay. Our glasses of wine (a featured syrah, and a merlot) were barely drinkable. A serving of onion soup amounted to about 1/4 cup.

2  Thank Joan S
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We traveled 67 miles to treat my mother and step-father for their 17th wedding anniversary along with my mother's 90th birthday. We had heard good things about the Tory Tavern and were looking forward to this special evening celebration. Upon arrival, we were greated at the door by the hostess dressed in period costume, and she showed us to a nice table for four in the dining room to the right of the entryway. There was already a couple in this room who seemed to be enjoying their dining experience. Richard soon arrived at our table to take drink orders and to answer any questions about the menu. He was very knowledgeable with the menu, was very friendly, very efficient and had a keen sense of humor. Two of us choose the complete dinner and the other two had soup, salad and entree. Both appetizers, a stuffed portabello and crab and trout cakes were delicate but exquisite. The tomato basil soup had a nice taste, but lacked substance, but the cold strawberry and watermelon soup was a delight. Salads were small, but the homemade dressing made up for the size and the entrees....... elegant, well prepared, delicious and very good sized portion. Two of us had the salmon, one a london broil with a jim beam sauce and I had pork medallions (at least 7 or 8) with a red wine reduction demi glaze and mushrooms -- I savoured each bite. The cointreau flan was light, but a fine way to end a great meal. Did I mention the sorbet before the entree was served -- five star service. We were there for almost 2 hours, never felt rushed, yet the service was prompt and professional. It wass worth the hour and twenty minute drive. Bravo!

2  Thank Pkpsieden