The Inn At Glen Sanders Mansion
US$84
Hotels.com
US$90
US$76
All reviewsmohawk riverattending a weddingcocktail hourschenectady areacellar barfire pitmodern amenitiesroom was clean and comfortableunion collegeview of the lakealbanyloungefireplace
Reviewed 27 September 2013

For the second year in a row we had a client appreciation dinner at the Glen Sanders and it was great. Laura and her team from the Mansion did wonderful job. We realized the night was going to be warm so at the last minute the staff was able to set up the bar and food stations for the cocktail hour on the beautiful deck overlooking the Mohawk River. The diner was great, from salad to entrée to desert.
The hotel rooms were very nice.
A true first class operation.

Room Tip: The Sanders Suit was fantastic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here several times over ten years ago visiting family in the area and always enjoyed the stays. So when we were visiting the area recently we booked again. Ten years makes a huge difference if attention to detail and maintenance is not as strong as it should be for a good hotel. The air conditioning was loud and prevented a good night's sleep. The bath products were partly used by previous guest(s) and was the final straw in the decision not to stay the planned second night. The receptionist didn't give any hassle about the changing plans nor did she asked why the plans were changing though I suspect she knew the answer, the Inn has declined. We did appreciate the wi-fi which was better than other hotels we have recently stayed in and the coffee machine did provide a nice morning cup of coffee. These however did not compensate for the lack of sleep due to the poor bearings in the fan of the a/c, and we really did need the coffee.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We recently stayed at the Glen Sanders for a family wedding. While the wedding itself was wonderful, our room was horrible and I would never stay there again. In particular, our bathroom was a disgrace! The sink was unusable - totally plugged - so you had to get on your hands and knees over the bathtub to do what you would normally do in a sink - the toilet was not even bolted to the floor, and the tub area was old and chipped and dirty looking. The carpet at the entry was worn to the threads and had stains in places. Not what I would have expected for a place with what I thought was a good reputation. Not to mention that we complained several times about the issues and nothing was done - it was like the issues were totally ignored.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

You don't need a national brand with hotels like this available. Room was very comfortable and easy to work in with the free wifi. Continental breakfast was fine and complimentary as well. I ate at the restaurant only once, and the food and service were great.

The hotel staff was most accommodating and very helpful with special requests. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank DavidR2000
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I'm usually a fan of chain hotels - Hampton, in particular, offers reliable amenities for reasonable pricing. At first, I was disappointed when my company's travel department booked me into the Glen Sanders (or as I took to calling it, the "Ned Flanders"), but after spending a wonderful evening there I'm eating my words.

Location: It's kind of a pain to get to - just on the Scotia side of the western gateway bridge, off a Jersey-esque intersection (no left turn, nutty little half-side street). The hotel overlooks the Mohawk river (Erie canal) and the view from the riverside rooms is spectacular. It's about 30 mins from Albany airport, and 10 mins from downtown Schenectady.

Amenities: The rooms have nice Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, newly-remodeled bathrooms (no tub though - just a shower), free wifi (unsecured, not password protected...use a VPN), and a decent selection of channels on the flatscreen TV. There is a continental breakfast in the morning which includes fruit, yogurt, coffee, cereal, and a waffle iron (despite the northeast location, there's no real maple syrup - only that nasty "breakfast syrup" swill that I wouldn't force on my worst enemy). The bed in my room was a king, and quite comfortable, though the alarm clock was some sort of ipod dock (without an ipod) and therefore difficult to figure out. Everything was clean. The restaurant downstairs is nice, but pricey for the area.

Service: The Glen Sanders is mostly used as a catering hall, and hosts many weddings. The night I stayed there, they were hosting two events for large local businesses. When I pulled in, two young guys in vests approached my car, and rather than offering to park it (which I first thought was their intent), they asked if I were attending either of the events and upon my negative response, directed me to park in the very back of the lot. Naturally, I proceeded to park where I f'ing wanted to because I was a paying guest. That was the only bad service I received the entire time; however - the front desk staff were very helpful, courteous, and efficient.

Overall: The Glen Sanders is a beautiful hotel with nice rooms and (mostly) decent staff. The built-in restaurant is top notch, and it beats the heck out of staying in downtown Schenectady.

Room Tip: I've heard that the add-on apartments are inferior - Room 110 (where I stayed) is a ground-level corner room with tons of sun, a walk-out patio, and a river view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business