“A great hotel with fabulous owners, service and food”
Review of The American Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sharon Springs
The American Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sharon Springs
Hartland, Vermont
“A great hotel with fabulous owners, service and food”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Recently stayed here with my wife. Beautiful spot - very comfortable room and gracious hosts, Doug Plummer and Garth Roberts, who've put nearly 20 years of work into this place, could not have been more welcoming. The food here is five star - first class as well. We hope to come back, not only for the comfort and cuisine but to see how this former hot springs destination, which at one time had 60 hotels, is being brought back to life.
Tom and Hatsy M.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tom M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have returned annually to The American Hotel and its hosts, Doug and Garth, to exist if only for a short time in the beautiful world they have created there. This is a world of carefully prepared and locally-sourced food served with warmth and style, charming guest rooms and lovely public spaces to chat with other guests and the hosts. But most importantly, this is a world of lively conversation and commentary and light-heartedness in which the small pleasures of life
are celebrated. We always leave with spirits lifted!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bumpa1022
Toronto
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A beautifully restored old hotel which exudes charm. The owners Doug and Garth pay meticulous attention to detail and are delightful hosts. The rooms are comfortable, there is a lovely patio in the garden and the restaurant is great. We ate at the hotel three of the four nights we stayed there, most unusual for us. Food was well prepared, the crab cakes were fabulous.
All the staff were efficient helpful and charming.
We will return

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HamishToronto
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived in Sharon Springs in the early evening after spending the day on the road. We probably looked horrible since we had stopped in Poughkeepsie on our way to the hotel and got caught in a downpour. When we walked into the hotel we were warmly greeted by Austin (hotel manager) and Garth (owner). Garth showed us to our room and we chatted with him for a few minutes. He asked us if we would like to have dinner at the hotel and offered us a menu to browse before deciding. We knew that the hotel was known for their restaurant and that the meals were said to be excellent. After looking over the menu we decided to get ourselves together and head downstairs for what was one of the best meals we've ever had. My wife and I were on our first vacation without kids and the setting could not have been more perfect. I told her that we were finally having our first adult dinner. The service was excellent. From Austin chatting with us about Niagara Falls to our glasses never being empty. We also had the pleasure of Garth mixing us up Schoharie lemonades. Dinner was perfect.

After dinner we went on a self guided walking tour of Sharon Springs. We took our time and read pretty much every word of the historic markers and enjoyed learning about the history of the village. It is true that some of the buildings are in disrepair but you can see that the people of Sharon Springs are working to revitalize the area.

The room itself... My wife and I were quite pleased with the room. The furnishings were nice and the bed was quite comfortable. There were a lot of little touches that just made us feel at home. The bathroom had probably the best water pressure of any hotel that we've ever stayed in. In all, we were very pleased with our room and we were a little sad that we had only booked one night.

In the morning we had the made to order breakfast (included with stay). My wife had the blueberry pancakes with lemon zest and I had an omelet with spinach, mushroom and cheese. Garth cooked our breakfast and asked us how it was as he walked back out to the front desk. I think it's things like this that impressed us so much. The incredible food certainly didn't hurt either.

When we went to check out we spoke with Garth and Doug for the better part of 30 minutes. I told them that the Fabulous Beekman boys reality show had introduced us to Sharon Springs but it was the hospitality of the people there that would bring us back. We left the hotel and hit the Beekman 1802 mercantile on our way out of town. There were other shops that we would have loved to spend time in but as luck would have it, it started raining and we really just wanted to get on the road.

My wife and I will definitely return to Sharon Springs and The American Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Doug R
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We did not actually stay at this hotel. We had to cancel our reservation for one night, as my husband had just learned that his father had been admitted to hospice care. My husband made arrangements to travel out of state for an indeterminate amount of time. We called 8 days in advance to cancel the reservation. The manager told me that we would be charged a "deposit", which I understood to be half of one night's stay. Only when I specifically requested it, he said the deposit would be refunded if they could re-sell the room. We were charged the full price of a one- night stay; it was applied to our credit card on the day that I phoned to cancel. I have spoken with one of the owners about this. He politely refused to refund any of the charge of $240, since the hotel had vacancy on the night that we had hoped to stay there. Please understand the cancellation policy! If you've booked for only one night and need to cancel within 14 days of the reservation, you will be charged the full amount for one night. We really would have appreciated a compromise. $240 is no small expenditure for us, especially when we receive nothing in return. Perhaps it's a fine place to stay, but it's left a bad taste in our hearts. We won't be staying with them.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank honeymooner020
Harvard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This restored hotel delivers a good experience with some caveats.

First, the restaurant was quite good, priced a bit on the high side for the experience. Service a bit unrefined for the price-point, but certainly fun and friendly.

The front porch is a fun place to spend some time with a cocktail or glass of wine, if the weather is nice. It is too bad that the road is so noisy, with trucks and motorcycles barreling up the steep road. The noise is really quite bad during the day. At night, it quiets down. Nothing they can do about it, but a major detraction from this otherwise pretty setting.

There are a few interesting shops nearby, but that won't occupy much time in this sleepy crumbling town. Explore the remains of the few remaining large hotels that are mostly in a state of steep decline.

The rooms are extremely clean and well-appointed. Note that the rooms are *tiny*, probably less than 12x12. The bathrooms are nicely appointed, and have very hot water and lots of water pressure. A window-air-conditioner in each room prevents the windows from being opened, which is a disappointment.

Request a room on the back to avoid the road noise. Sensitive sleepers will be comforted to know that there are rooms only on one floor, so no noise from above. The restaurant and bar below didn't interfere with my sleep, so there may be good sound insulation.

Nice sitting areas on the back patio as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was not sure what to expect. I wanted to visit the Beekman boys shop and hopefully meet them. This was the most convenient place to stay. We arrived and was greeted by the owner/innkeeper, Garth. After checking in, we immediately gravitated to the 2nd floor veranda for drinks and a view of the town.
We also had dinner there in restaurant, which was absolutely amazing! Great service & delicious food.
Breakfast was also equally amazing and included as part of you'd stay. I had fresh blueberry pancakes with lemon zest! It was so good, I had the same thing both mornings.
There was also a quaint bar and serene outdoor seating for cocktails or wine and the late afternoon/evening.
Doug, the other owner/ innkeeper, was equally attentive and welcoming.
If you are looking for a stress reducer, go visit The American Hotel!! I highly recommend and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Note that the rooms are on the small side but the atmosphere and ambience make up for the tight quar...