“Beyond Expectations”
Review of Dering Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
Dering Harbor Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
New York
“Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Recently I was fortunate enough to stay in a one bedroom harbor facing villa which was attractively decorated, well priced, and had a magnificent view of the harbor and Greenport. The reason that my visit was so memorable was that I left the top down on my convertible which was parked in the lot behind my villa. Although there was "no chance of precipitation", needless to say, it did rain. I received a call from Barbara (assistant. manager) telling me that it was raining and that I would need to hurry and get my top up. Although I would have eventually noticed the rain, it was a tremendous gesture and shows the personal attention that one is afforded at the Dering Harbor Inn. Hats off to Barbara and the entire crew. I will def. return. Thanks again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Makers47

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Absolutely love this place! My husband and I have been staying here almost every summer for the past 5 years and it is our slice of heaven. Wonderfully situated property...right on the harbor. Sherri and Barbara who basically run the place, could not be more warm and accommodating!!! While the architecture is a bit outdated, the comforts and surroundings of the place far out weigh that. I would highly recommend Dering Harbor Inn anytime and will be going back to stay for years to come!

Room Tip: Room #19 has a great view!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed in Suite 17 for a few days to relax. The location is perfection. As others have mentioned the view of the harbor is just beautiful. The staff is friendly and very helpful with suggestions on what to do in the area.

Shelter Island is a magical place and what Martha Vineyard was years ago before the tourists.
I am almost afraid to give this review because I don't want my "hidden gem" to be discovered.
When I need to relax I close my eyes and just picture that beautiful harbor and take a deep breath and almost can smell the sea....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelgirl123z
New York
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Overlooking iconic Dering Harbor on Shelter Island we never tired of the view and the changing play of light - dawn to night – from our living room and porch – around the lawn, plantings and trees at the Dering Harbor Inn. As New Yorkers we were tempted just to gaze, but in our 4 days we gave in to walking, running, biking, driving the Island and even exploring and enjoying the North Fork.

No food but a great array of eating spots are nearby as are stores for whatever you want to cook at home.

The 15 individually owned condominium units are clearly displayed at www.deringharborinn.net so you know exactly what you’re getting - much more private space than a B&B. Units are impeccably maintained to a high standard by a caring and friendly staff. Sherry responds instantly to any query or need. This was our second visit, 9/12 and 6/13, at fall/spring rates and before they were all booked up. We’ll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in Suites 17 & 18 for a girl's weekend away to celebrate my 30th birthday. The staff was helpful and friendly. Both suites were beautiful, clean and quiet. They were much larger than they appear in the pictures on the website. The location is fantastic. We all live in NYC and do not have cars. Dering Harbor Inn is located close to the ferry (1/2 mile-short cab ride, but you could also walk) and close to restaurants, groceries and shopping. They have bicycles available to rent at the Inn at very reasonable prices. We biked to Crescent Beach and spent time by the lovely pool. The Inn provides Beach Towels and daily housekeeping- even for the suites. I highly recommend this place and plan to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brwneyedgirl624
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We had a very pleasant and enjoyable 3 day stay recently. As everyone comments, the views are spectacular and the grounds really well kept. The staff at the front are terrifically helpful. The suites with bedroom and kitchenette are very convenient and well arranged, with a wonderful patio. There are some pretty minor things that could be updated/improved that would convert the Dering Harbor into a really great place. Specifically, the pillows in our unit were pretty old and beaten up. The toiletries provided (soap, shampoos) were really substandard for the price range (for example, the ink on the plastic packaging of the Jergens soap containers had run onto the soap giving it a blue tint). Some attention to these details would really make this a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NFKBNJ
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

To begin, we had a wonderful time on Shelter Island, and Dering Harbor in particular. Born and raised on the west coast we had certain assumptions about Long Island beach life that were quickly troubled upon our arrrival at the Dering Harbor Inn. To call what is essentially a cooperative of individually owned condos an Inn is a bit misleading, but the place is pleasant enough, somewhat reminiscent of childhood trips to Ocean Shores in Washington State, and the views are world class. The pool is a nice compliment to what is a very calming environment. If you want/need to escape city life with a young family or as a couple this is the place. That said, this place is quiet, very quiet, retirement community quiet, and the cool glances from the very quiet folks sitting around the pool create a strange vibe in what is otherwise a very contemplative and soothing physical environment. The strange vibe we had been sensing made sense after the very nice guy wathcing over the pool disclosed that some of the "owners" are a bit grumpy around the guests. His insight came after we were yelled at by an "owner" for disrupting the peace around the pool. We being my 7 year old son, a small ball, and a peaceful, yet occasionally sprirted game of catch. In short, we had a very nice time at a very nice place that will eventually need to reconcile the owner vs. guest issue. Until then I'm not sure we would return, particularly at the rates they're asking for average accomodations. But the views! The views!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in East Marion
Sunset Beach
Sunset Beach
#5 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Dering Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!