Sunset Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Shelter Island House(Shelter Island)
View Hotel
The Pridwin Hotel(Shelter Island)
View Hotel
Dering Harbor Inn(Shelter Island)
Drossos Motel(Greenport)
  • Room Service
Heron Suites(Southold)
All reviewssummer weekendferry ridevibedjweekendsluxe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Beautiful property, European atmosphere, crappy service. The breakfasts were excellent but dinner was hit or miss, either really good or really bad. Customer service is non-existent, staff is just not friendly or attentive. Loved the balcony of my room - lovely view. The room could have been nicer, it's like they're trying too hard to be cool. The clientele is showy, it's a real scene, which some people like but not me. Not interested in returning.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank mlv01
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Honestly read every review below mine, as I will NOT need to write much, as everyone below has said it just as I would have. Horrible rooms, extremely dirty, outdated, and we felt like we needed to cover everything with our own towels we thankfully brought. I wish I had brought my own sheets and pillowcases, but really..... how would think that necessary at these prices.??? Do not book here!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank wachtrav
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My now-husband and I had the most incredible engagement weekend here last summer. We go to Shelter Island annually and it's always a great time, but this was our first stay at Sunset, and it was over the top. From the location to the staff, food, our room and the amenities, we were well taken care of and more than satisfied in every regard.
I've heard far less glowing reviews and admittedly it's not for everyone- if, for example, you're traveling with a family/kids, and not up for splurging, you're going to be unhappy. But for a sexy stay at a gorgeously-designed place with the best beach/view on the island, this is what you want.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ssdesign
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed in the Sunset Beach hotel this past weekend for two nights with my wife and two children. I stayed at this hotel based on two recommendations from friends who have homes out East. The both have not stayed in the hotel, though spoke very highly.. I normally never ever write or post reviews.. Make that never, though I felt I had to.. My experience is as follows.

1. The staff is lovely. The women at the front desk make you feel welcomed. This is true of the chamber maids and wait staff at the restaurant.
2.The beach is lovely and the views are spectacular. The young man at the beach always made sure we had a chair and a towel.
3.THIS IS where it all goes wrong.. The room was less than desirable.. Here is what i saw.
a.The couch is disgusting. It had stains all over it.. I would not even come close to sitting on it.
b.The rug in the room is stained and disgusting especially in the middle of both beds.
c.The clock radio was stuck to the night table with black stuff that only could be liquid that was not cleaned or mold that is developing.
d.There was a hole in the wall of the bathroom by the tub. To top it off you needed to hold the flusher of the toilet to make it flush. Less than desirable.
e.Despite the attempt at a closet there was nowhere to put our cloths other than our bags.
f.The lamps by the beds were full of dust and seemed as if they were not cleaned.
g.The TV stand was sticky.

The hotel falls very short of the reputation it supposedly has. If the rug and night table were clean I think I would have had less of a problem.. To not want to walk on the floor of a supposed high end boutique hotel is in sane.. by the look of the cars including mine, they have high end customers who at least come to the restaurant.. I expected more.. They are in terrible need of a face lift.

Room Tip: Rooms are dirty.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank e m
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I should have listened to the other reviewers who said this hotel wasn't worth the money. I absolutely had to the worst vacation ever. The hotel is overpriced, the accomodations subpar and the staff is quite rude. I can't comprehend how the owners of this place justify charging European prices, mistakenly trying to pass themselves as a French Riviera hotel. The Sunset Beach Cafe follows suit in treating their customers like trash, making them pay high prices for mediocre food. I had a steak au jois, which they charged $27 for...about double what you would normally pay at a decent restaurant. The steak was cheap and the "au jois" was passable as canned gravy. Needless to say, don't bother staying here. It's a big waste of money and you are better off trying to rent a nice home overlooking the bay for a little more money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family