“Lovely hotel with charm and character!”
Review of The Pridwin Hotel

The Pridwin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
New York
“Lovely hotel with charm and character!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed here after Labor Day for a quick getaway - I saw the voucher on Living Social and decided to give it a shot, even though I'd never been out to Shelter Island. The Pridwin is old and sometimes shows its age, but I would definitely say it has a lot of charm. The rooms are cozy - no luggage rack, which was odd, but the bathroom was updated and VERY VERY nice. Breakfast on Tuesday was very sumptuous and we couldn't believe how great it was. Wednesday marked the beginning of the off season so it was more continental but still delightful. The fresh squeezed orange juice is to die for. Breakfast overlooking the bay between Shelter Island and Greenport was divine.

I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. When the room wasn't ready at 3 PM check in, we just took the time to explore the island. The woman at the desk gave us free drinks which we enjoyed later that day on the patio. That was nice of her.

I would stay here again, especially if the updates to the hotel are continuing.

Room Tip: Water views are really nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sorensaa191

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We were there a little off season. The location is lovely, right on bay. The hotel offers a lot of amenities but unfortunately they are all for a price. We had hoped to play a little tennis as my husband has not played in over seven months due to surgery but the courts have been leased out to some one and one has to make monetary and time arrangement with him which we did not due as we did not want to book a whole hour. All other amenities are for an hourly price which I found to be a bit devious as I thought that it was a perk of the hotel. The bedrooms are tiny with not enough room for a night table on my side of the bed for me to put my book on when I went to sleep. The bed was very comfortable with a lovely quilt. The bathroom was so small that I hit my shoulder on sink top marble every time I sat down. The deck overlooking the sound is lovely as is the dining areas. Unfortunately the dining room was closed for the season as of the day we checked in. The pool was very nice and seemed to be well kept with lots of towels available. Breakfast was continental which was fine though I was sorry that we missed the full breakfast by one day . The first day we were there when we got back from a day of sight seeing and lunch at about three o'clock our room had not been made up. This is not a hotel for anyone with disabilities as there are lots of stairs. When our room was not made up I had to go down a full flight of stairs as there was no where to sit to wait to get into the room. This is definitely an old world hotel with the emphasis on old.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
lynbrook
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Pridwin is the perfect go-to-place to unwind after a busy summer and just before the school year begins. We are native New Yorkers and have been doing this with our family for the past 15 years. While our family has been fortunate enough to travel to new places over the years, we make sure to return to the Pridwin for a few days every August. The staff and service is perfect. What I love best about this hotel is the beautiful view of the Peconic. The restaurant deck overlooks the Peconic and dining at sunset is not to be missed. The food is always excellent. What I was most disappointed in was that the hotel no longer offers a breakfast & dinner meal plan for hotel guests. It was always well worth it. With all the water sports available, private beach and salt water pool at your fingertips, there was never any reason to leave this place. While the rooms are small, they are comfortable and clean. The linens could use an overhaul as they seem to be a bit threadbare. Initially, our room had a damp, musty smell to it, something we had never encountered in years past. Perhaps, this is a result of "Super Storm Sandy', as many families and business' are still working on their properities. My family and I love Shelter Island and this hotel and plan to continue our 'August' tradition as long as we are able.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor with a full or partial water view are ideal. You have no one walking over...
1 Thank kejs
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We went to the Pridwin Hotel for the first time for a family holiday for 4th July week. The hotel staff were so friendly, the included breakfast was amazing and the location of the hotel - right on the beach was wonderful. And the pool at the back of the hotel was perfect with lunch available poolside. The one downside is the dampness in the hotel. We booked two rooms, one for my husband and me, the other for the three children. The children's room was perfect, ours on the other hand had a mold problem...the room smelt damp and the air conditioner did not really help dry it out. The hotel does have an old world charm and the bathrooms, though small, are nicely updated.
Beach amenities included sunfish, hydro bikes and kayaks - all great fun and in good condition. Would go back but would love to see the damp problem fixed for everyone's sake!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fashionbear
PridwinOffice, Manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of the Pridwin! We're glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the friendly service, our beach and poolside amenities, and our tasty breakfast during your stay. We are in the process of updating and renovating some portions of the hotel, but unfortunately, our humid environment does encourage the smell you mentioned. Rest assured, our amazing housekeeping team makes sure everything is clean and sanitary for our valued guests. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the Pridwin soon!
New York
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Had a great weekend at the Pridwin. Classic old school elegance, great location and good service. Rooms are a bit small but with so much to do outdoors on SI it doesn't really matter. Pool is nice and water sports are great. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Melissa G
PridwinOffice, Manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Melissa, thanks for your review! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your weekend at the Pridwin, and that our friendly service and diverse array of recreational activities made your stay with us a fun and memorable one. We hope you got a chance to try some of fresh seafood or delicious barbecue during your stay - or at the very least, some of the famous Pridwin donuts at our breakfast buffet! We will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Shelter Island!
Westchester, NY
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My sister and I went for a two-night getaway to Shelter Island and were thrilled to have found The Pridwin, a classic summer resort since 1927. While not fancy, the lobby, especially, is well appointed. A few suggestions for our room were IMMEDIATELY and thoughtfully addressed by manager and staff. Terrific location with water view and beach right across the way. Loved availability of kayaks and paddle boards. Enjoyed swimming laps in the pool. Breakfast on the porch featured a beautiful view of the bay. Staff -- both seasoned and college students -- were professional and accommodating. The curation of music in the lobby, restaurant and bar/lounge was especially excellent and added considerably to the ambiance. (You know when you go somewhere and the music is just "off" and inappropriate for the time of day?) At The Pridwin, classical music played during breakfast. As the day went on, the music changed to light jazz, up to summery samba by cocktail hour.

Room Tip: Rooms with partial-water view are fine. There is a kayak rental off premise and on a different side...
3 Thank BKB217
PridwinOffice, Manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
BKB, thank you so much for your kind words! We so appreciate your thoughtful and detailed review, and we're thrilled to hear that you and your sister enjoyed your stay at the "classic" Pridwin. Our friendly and helpful staff does strive to accommodate the wishes of our guests, and we're glad that you found your room comfortable, and the music appropriate and welcoming. We hope you welcome you both back soon for more leisure time spent in or on the water, a side of refreshing cocktails, and those beautiful waterfront views and sunsets! See you soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Pridwin for a family reunion and loved every minute of it. I thought the staff was helpful and polite (yup, even those 'college kids') check in/out was easy - no unexpected charges on my bill. I loved the breakfast every morning; fresh eggs and bacon, blueberries to die for and great coffee - there was more but that was my standard fare.
Our room was very nice - yes, it's not fancy, but it was comfortable and clean - great view! We were on the 3rd floor and I was told when I booked that there was no elevator and was I ok with stairs... The bathroom was super tiny but all the plumbing worked beautifully and the shower was huge.
I really loved the quaint-ness of The Pridwin and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The water front rooms are lovely but noisy - if you need more quiet I would suggest having a room th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Alison S
PridwinOffice, Manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Alison, thank you for reviewing the Pridwin Hotel! We're always happy to hear from new guests, and we're glad to hear your family's stay with us was made even more enjoyable by our friendly service, our quaint and cozy rooms, and our delicious breakfasts (nothing like fresh summertime berries!). We appreciate your feedback, and we will definitely look forward to welcoming you all back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelter Island
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Sound View Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#3 of 7 in Greenport

Been to The Pridwin Hotel? Share your experiences!