“Old-time diner with friendly service” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Islander
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Islander is a family restaurant that serves casual comfort food.
Mount Sinai, New York
“Old-time diner with friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just had ice cream and a shake at the counter, but we found it to be the kind of place we would like to return to the next time we are on Shelter Island. When I enquired about an egg cream, the waitress whipped one up so I could have a taste, no charge. It was that kind of easy feeling you get when you're in your own neighborhood. There were a lot of people there, and we got the sense that it was a favorite with the locals. Nice feeling to have the locals' stamp of approval, after having been to so many other spots on the island where service meant keeping people at arms-length.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Marlene D

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Friendly Service and Tasty Breakfast Choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We've made the Islander our new Sunday breakfast destination. My boyfriend is partial to the Eggs Benedict (with a well-executed Hollandaise sauce) and I'm a fan of the Corned Beef Hash with scrambled eggs. Yesterday I had a craving for oatmeal and even though it wasn't on the menu the staff served up a bowl in record time.

The staff is very friendly and attentive to keeping your coffee mug filled, checking in to see how you like your meal and asking if there's anything else you need. It's a great way to start your day!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Monica R
Shelter Island, New York
“Not your typical diner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I've been a frequent visitor of the Islander since it was Pat and Steves. It is definately NOT Pat and Steves anymore. The menu has changed. They are definatlely trying to "class" it up. Unfortunately the quality just isn't there. Most of the fish is from frozen, the breads are cheep, and the vegitarian menu is lacking. (if you're a vegitarian you'll find a better selection and better quality food at Maria's Kitchen).

Their Meats are pretty good, though. Their milkshakes... well, those are amazing!

The atmosphere is juvinile. The hand painted wall is well done, it's just more appropriate for a nursery school. That being said, the waitstaff is only okay, with one exception. Clarissa. She's there Thursday through Sunday. She's the best thing about that place. Oh, yea... Don't go there if you're in a hurry, you will be late.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wilfulpride
Nashville, Tennessee
“Lovely Little Local Joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

I love the Islander. I've been there twice now and have had a very pleasant experience both times. Both times I've been there for lunch. Lunch prices range from about $5-$15, with sandwiches and salads hovering in the $9 range. The clam chowder and chili are excellent, the wraps are very good, and breakfast is served all day.

Our server was also a very pleasant lady who made some good recommendations and let us try the house chips even though we didn't order any. This will definitely be my go-to eatery when I visit Shelter Island!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank sngbrd
Long Island, New York
“Breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

They serve more but we had breakfast. Nothing special, like a coffee shop. Eggs cooked as requested, Corned Beef Hash good. No credit cards, take cash.

• Visited April 2013